[NL2-NL10] NL5 AKs

• Heffron89
      Heffron89
      Bronze
      PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (8 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

CO ($3.17)
      Hero (Button) ($7.24)
      SB ($10.22)
      BB ($2.94)
      UTG ($5)
      UTG+1 ($10)
      MP1 ($2.63)
      MP2 ($5.20)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A, K
      3 folds, MP2 calls $0.05, 1 fold, Hero bets $0.20, SB raises to $0.65, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.45

Flop: ($1.40) 2, 7, 4 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.95, Hero calls $0.95

Turn: ($3.30) 2 (2 players)
      SB bets $2.13, Hero calls $2.13

River: ($7.56) Q (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $3.51 (All-In), SB calls $3.51

Total pot: $14.58 | Rake: $0.70

This was horrible played right? I really wonder how to play these hands
  • 5 replies
    • rickydaprince
      rickydaprince
      Bronze
      I think 4betting preflop is also another option. On the flop, I think raising is probably better play, since you have pretty much a monster draw + 2 overcards. You're playing a little too passive postflop, and I think this will cost you a lot. Raise and use your fold equity, and even if you get called, you have lots of outs.

Also rebuy to 100bb.
    • michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      You can definitely raise flop. But I think calling flop is fine too.

But if you call the flop, and the turn is a blank, or in this even worse the board gets pairs, I think you have to fold.

Firstly you don't get good enough pot odds, secondly even if you hit your flush, you might still run into a boat a lot of times.
    • AninIII
      AninIII
      Bronze
      Hi,

imo there are 2 possibilities to play this hand:

1) If villain was 3-betting tight: just call preflop but when you hit this flop then you have to raise it and call a shove with your FD and overcards.

2) If villain was 3-betting loose just 4-bet and call a shove for 100BB, because you'are ahead most of the times and if you are behind against a pair 22-QQ you have a flip. Sometimes loose villains will show up even with AQ there.

Let's see what the judges think.

Best regards,
      Anin
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by rickydaprince
      I think 4betting preflop is also another option. On the flop, I think raising is probably better play, since you have pretty much a monster draw + 2 overcards. You're playing a little too passive postflop, and I think this will cost you a lot. Raise and use your fold equity, and even if you get called, you have lots of outs.

Also rebuy to 100bb.
      +1
      you can maybe call pf, although I´d likely also 4-bet to 2 and get all-in.
      I would get all-in on that flop, you´re flipping against 88-KK, but most important if you raise flop and shove turn you have huge fold equity against these hands which makes it profitable move
      nl5 level I think 5$ is 100bb, so I don´t agree ricky that you should buy for 10$ even if you have that option
    • rickydaprince
      rickydaprince
      Bronze
      Oh, i saw a few $10 so I thought it was NL10... i forgot stars lets you buy to 200bb.... I said 100bb anyway :P But if you're both deep, you have even more fold equity.