This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL5 AKs

• Heffron89
      Heffron89
      Bronze
      PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (8 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

CO ($3.17)
      Hero (Button) ($7.24)
      SB ($10.22)
      BB ($2.94)
      UTG ($5)
      UTG+1 ($10)
      MP1 ($2.63)
      MP2 ($5.20)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A, K
      3 folds, MP2 calls $0.05, 1 fold, Hero bets $0.20, SB raises to $0.65, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.45

Flop: ($1.40) 2, 7, 4 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.95, Hero calls $0.95

Turn: ($3.30) 2 (2 players)
      SB bets $2.13, Hero calls $2.13

River: ($7.56) Q (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $3.51 (All-In), SB calls $3.51

Total pot: $14.58 | Rake: $0.70

This was horrible played right? I really wonder how to play these hands
  • 5 replies
    • rickydaprince
      rickydaprince
      Bronze
      I think 4betting preflop is also another option. On the flop, I think raising is probably better play, since you have pretty much a monster draw + 2 overcards. You're playing a little too passive postflop, and I think this will cost you a lot. Raise and use your fold equity, and even if you get called, you have lots of outs.

Also rebuy to 100bb.
    • michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      You can definitely raise flop. But I think calling flop is fine too.

But if you call the flop, and the turn is a blank, or in this even worse the board gets pairs, I think you have to fold.

Firstly you don't get good enough pot odds, secondly even if you hit your flush, you might still run into a boat a lot of times.
    • AninIII
      AninIII
      Bronze
      Hi,

imo there are 2 possibilities to play this hand:

1) If villain was 3-betting tight: just call preflop but when you hit this flop then you have to raise it and call a shove with your FD and overcards.

2) If villain was 3-betting loose just 4-bet and call a shove for 100BB, because you'are ahead most of the times and if you are behind against a pair 22-QQ you have a flip. Sometimes loose villains will show up even with AQ there.

Let's see what the judges think.

Best regards,
      Anin
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by rickydaprince
      I think 4betting preflop is also another option. On the flop, I think raising is probably better play, since you have pretty much a monster draw + 2 overcards. You're playing a little too passive postflop, and I think this will cost you a lot. Raise and use your fold equity, and even if you get called, you have lots of outs.

Also rebuy to 100bb.
      +1
      you can maybe call pf, although I´d likely also 4-bet to 2 and get all-in.
      I would get all-in on that flop, you´re flipping against 88-KK, but most important if you raise flop and shove turn you have huge fold equity against these hands which makes it profitable move
      nl5 level I think 5$ is 100bb, so I don´t agree ricky that you should buy for 10$ even if you have that option
    • rickydaprince
      rickydaprince
      Bronze
      Oh, i saw a few $10 so I thought it was NL10... i forgot stars lets you buy to 200bb.... I said 100bb anyway :P But if you're both deep, you have even more fold equity.