push-or-fold with a large stack on your left

• cezarr1
      cezarr1
      Bronze
      I'm wondering if anyone could share some insight on playing in the push-or-fold stage when you have a large stack on your left. How much does that change your approach to pushing? What's your experience with playing in such situations and what would your advice be to someone relatively new?

My question is partly driven by the strategy article with the push-or-fold chart and what it says there, that you're not in the push-or-fold stage if you and everyone to act after you are not under 13BB. And as a follow-up question: if I'm not in the push-or-fold stage because of a large stack on my left, should I continue playing according to the mid-tournament phase strategy?

As of now when faced with a situation like this I just pretend the large stack on my left actually has only 10-13BB and play accordingly, but I suppose that may not be the best idea?
  • 1 reply
    • Meiffert
      Meiffert
      Bronze
      Originally posted by cezarr1
      My question is partly driven by the strategy article with the push-or-fold chart and what it says there, that you're not in the push-or-fold stage if you and everyone to act after you are not under 13BB.
      You got this wrong. You are in a push/fold mode if you OR everyone left to act has 13 or less big blinds.
      Therefore if you have 13 or less bb, you are always in push/fold. In adition sometimes when you have more than 13 bb, you can be in push/fold if the other players are short.

Originally posted by cezarr1
      As of now when faced with a situation like this I just pretend the large stack on my left actually has only 10-13BB and play accordingly
      That's correct.