[NL2-NL10] Mid pair weak kicker

• tac3znarf
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

$1/$2 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Known players:

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T, 9.
      CO posts deadblind, 2 folds, MP2 raises to $4.00, Hero calls $4.00, CO calls $2.00, 3 folds.

Flop: ($15) 7, T, J (3 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $8.00, CO folds, MP2 calls $8.00.

Turn: ($31) 4 (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($31) 6 (2 players)
      MP2 bets $33.30(All-In), Hero calls $33.30.

Final Pot: $97.6.

Villain Stats:
      VPIP:23 Raise preflop:9 AF:3 W$SD:50 WTS:20 Hands: 66

I tried to stab the pot on the flop but was not successful and I checked the turn the see a cheap showdon. Villain suddenly overbets the river when the flushdraw completes. I tank for while and decided to call because it is not reasonable to ovebet the river if it completed his draw.

Was the call on the river right?
  • 4 replies
    • dandycal
      Hey Tac3znarf,

I really don't like the pre-flop call with T9s nor the river call. He could easily be making it look like a bluff for you to call him with a pair as you did, and also you don't even have TP.

Pre-flop I don't think it'll ever be profitable to call such raises with SC in SSS, your increased stack here will only make it harder to play. You get no FE pre-flop (which is really important in SSS), and you'll seldom have a good playing hand postflop.

So fold preflop imo.
    • Ishindar
      looks like hes playing a suited connector type hand and on a draw. he could be on a straight draw or a flush draw. the fact that u checked the turn showed weakness 6h is a scare card or draw complete on the river for him. he does like to go to the showdown and most likely knows your range. i say u win here and mainly because of his showdown wiinings which are poor and show he maybe bluffs a lot or overvalues hands. i say good call! i would certainly call here :)
    • tac3znarf
      Thanks for the comments guys.

I called preflop since there was a dead poster and I expect him and the BB to call the minraise. In short if there is no reraise I expect to have either 3 or 4 way pot on the flop which is good enough for my SC.

I appreciate your comments and I will try to avoid such situations while playing SS.
    • Gerv
      As suggested by other members I'd fold preflop since you invest 20% of your stack thus implied odds are scarce/non existent

I don't like the bet on the Flop as played because the flop is so drawy and you only bet 50% of the pot, chances are quite low that everyone will fold.

if you bet here pure for FEQ then you are not making the right decision there. You also cannot really bet for value since you only have midpair ;)

I found the river some kind of herocall from your side and personally I would just muck it

- Gerv