[NL20-NL50] Can I lay it down?

• xnyk
      Did I play that bad? Can I lay my hand down on river? I do not believe it is a bluff like ever, but anyway.
      Villain is a fish, probably does not really care of any others hand and is 42/12/2.4/29 [VPIP/PFR/AF/hands]

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

$0.1/$0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q, A.
      Hero raises to $1.00, 2 folds, BU calls $1.00, 2 folds.

Flop: ($2.35) 4, A, 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.60, BU calls $1.60.

Turn: ($5.55) K (2 players)
      Hero bets $4.00, BU calls $4.00.

River: ($13.55) J (2 players)
      Hero bets $4.00, BU raises to $9.29, Hero calls $5.29.

Final Pot: $32.13.
  • 2 replies
    • JoaoMartins
      The jack is a terrible river card for you. Pocket pairs, Kx, and Ax would prolly only call and not raise, so I think there are no hands on his range (assuming he won't do that with a busted draw) that you can beat. So, betting the river is turning the hand into a bluff. I think I would prefer check/calling the river, but think you can't really fold to a raise with 4:1 odds.
    • MaestroOfZerg

I think it's a clear valuebet against a 42/11, the only hands he could really have that beat us are AJ/4x/QcTc, against which you can oppose all the trashy Ax hands that we still beat. I'd only check/call with some read pointing to his range being composed of more busted draws then Ax, like he would have raised a top pair before or something like that, until then i'm valuebetting to around $8 expecting to get looked up by worse Ax very often.

When he raises it obviously sucks, but given the odds you get if there is any chance he can bluff-raise clubs or turn a weak made hand into a cheap bluff there you have to call it imo.

Hope it helps.