I suck @ SSS

• TilTosaurusRex
      Hi guys I really need your help.

I've been playing short stack strategy for a lot of hands now (0.05 / 0.10) and as you can see, at the beginning I was losing much money. Then I analyzed my sessions to find out that I went to often on tilt and didn't follow the strategy on many hands. So my profit margin was eaten by that and then some.

But from the graph, at around 40 000 hands I started to focus more and apply the strategy seriously. And now, I really am confused because in the last 2 hour session I lost almost 30 bucks! I mean what the hell, my AA is beaten by a trip, my top pair is beaten by 2 pairs, etc, etc...

I always bet on the flop vs 1 player if I raised before the flop. The strategy doesn't cover when to bluff and when not to. Then if the player bets I fold unless I have top pair, etc. Is there a more advanced SSS betting strategy?
      Why go all in instead of betting 2/3 the pot?

And even while following the strategy I only managed to break even, not make some profit like other amazing graphs shown on the forum. I lost the 50$ from pokerstrategy, 50$ full tilt bonus AND all the money deposited from pokerstrategy! So I'm only playing for points as of now. How can I improve?

Here is the graph:
  • 6 replies
    • RahXephon1
      Really hard to help only with looking at the graph. My suggestions:

-post hands you are not sure of in the SSS hand evaluation forum
      -reread all the articles
      -look in your handhistories, how your hands are doing (aa/kk/at...). If you see some medium strenght hands are loosing you a lot of money, you should check how you played them (maybe overplaying them). Then post them in the forum
      -look for table selection, basic SSS isn't profitable if you play on a table full of other shortstacks. If they are on the table try to sit on their right and try to seat on the left of a fish.

Hope some of it helps!
    • Heffron89
      "I really am confused because in the last 2 hour session I lost almost 30 bucks! I mean what the hell, my AA is beaten by a trip, my top pair is beaten by 2 pairs, etc, etc.."

Just so u know poker got a lot of luck involved this is normal.
    • mbml
      Master the basics first, then get gold status and you can move up. Then next you have to master 4 things:
      1) Stealing very loosely (this is highly profitable at maybe NL50 and NL100 because opponents play really tight and you can steal a lot of money from them)
      2) Opening up your restealing range from blinds (you have to move out of your comfort zone and be willing to shove 77 or AJ against very loose players who steal relentlessly)
      3) Adjusting preflop reraising range: Just memorise the chart, play around with pokerstove/pokerstrategy equilator and get a feel of the numbers and ranges. Then you can start reshoving with more hands like TT, 99, AQ etc. instead of only premium hands like JJ+/AK
      4) Learn some basic post flop skills - You might want to read some BSS articles, mainly flop play since you are probably allin by the turn

I suggest you master the "adjusting your preflop range" gold article when you get gold. SSS is all about anti-tilt and grinding rake. From my experience, I was always losing (cause of tilt) but made all my money through rakeback

the "bet as Preflop raiser against one opponent" is a very simplified strategy based on the fact that continuation bets work much more often against a single opponent than multiple opponents. You might want to consider several things before doing a continuation bet (bluff)

cbetting factors ranked in order of importance for SSS
      1) number of opponents
      2) how often they fold to continuation bets (fold to cbet% - available if you are using a HUD like elephant)
      3) texture of board (this is more advanced but note that you are playing against fish who don't really read the texture of the board and call you with all sorts of shit)

Think about varying your betsizes a little. For SSS, you have very little room to maneuver because of the short stack size. You could possibly bet half pot on the flop instead of 2/3 on dry board textures (no flush and straight draws possible) since there is less need to protect your hand and it makes bluffing cheaper. Note that you can still get allin easily before the river so it isn't much of a problem.
    • TilTosaurusRex
      I make my table selection as the following. 10 minutes before the start of a happy hour, I add myself to the waiting list of all tables where the 3rd (when there arent that many players online) or 2nd player with the lowest stack has 2.50$ or more (2.50$ is 125% 2$). Then I wait for the big blind and leave as soon as I reach 2.50$ or more. I was thinking that maybe my opponents took notes about me and they don't respect my continuation bets so that maybe why I am losing money. They call or re-raise so I have to fold / check if I don't hit the best hand.

Somewhere in the strategy it's mentioned to go all in whenever the pot is 4.00$ or more. Is that only after seeing the flop or is it also preflop? So if 2 players go all in with 2 dollars or more I have to go all in? I'm a little confused since you can only go all in with KK and AA vs 2 players.
    • TilTosaurusRex
      Wow guys, after looking at my data in Poker Elephant (I'm almost @ 90 000 hands played) I found my problem.

I selected only the poker strategy hands, ( >= 77, AJ ) and that profit from these hands is around 900$.

Then I made ANOTHER selection, all the hands that aren't poker strategy's and with these hands the profit is -1 100$ !!!

So, I don't suck @ SSS! But I really suck @ poker, which is even worse! Should I never get involded in a free hand? lol
    • xponentx
      That is completely normal, the SSS does not allow for you to get involved in pots with substandard hands. What's important is maximising your value with the good hands.

SSS is about pushing very small edges. A lot of the time you will be in flip situations, and people will call shortstacks very light, meaning you are up against a wide range of hands. All you can do is keep playing your A game, and hope that variance smiles upon you.