Not sure what to do

• Swire
      Swire
      Bronze
      Well i have only been playing purely sng's for a week now, i started off with $200 and now im at $125. I play $3 sng's on partypoker and they are very light with alot of horrible players but for some reason i cant demolish this level. I think i am a reasonable player and i have read all the articles on Sng strategy.... I just dont understand how i can lose against these players.... If anyone has any advice i'd appreciate it thanks

Swire
  • 6 replies
    • KidPokersKid
      KidPokersKid
      Global
      You should post hands, and download ICM wizard in order to evaluate your pushes.
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      Hello Swire,

Like KidPokersKid said PokerStrategy offers hand evalutation section which you can use where a professional hand judge can help you. SnG Hand Evaluation

Also as you should have read in the basic and bronze articles once you get to 13bb you are in push or fold mode. These articles give you basic charts which should help you get by. However the best strategy to use is ICM to gain an advantage when shoving pre flop. You can use the ICM trainers to help you with this concept. I advise you try the light version first ;)

Good luck and best regards,

-Jack
    • Jeero
      Jeero
      Bronze
      Is it possible for you to move your money to a different site? I find that although the players in the micro limits on party are really weak, the additional rake adds one extra level of difficulty for a beginning player trying to learn the game. Also, never play turbos! You blink once and the blinds are 100, blink twice and you are in push/fold mode. Time favours the better player.

One thing that works for me when I'm struggling is playing only ONE SNG at a time. It can be really boring at first,... but it maximizes your focus on that game. I can be really confident that, win or lose, I played my absolute best. It's really slow, and you won't be able to build your BR very fast, but in the beginning, study and improvement is much more important IMO.
    • Swire
      Swire
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jeero
      Is it possible for you to move your money to a different site? I find that although the players in the micro limits on party are really weak, the additional rake adds one extra level of difficulty for a beginning player trying to learn the game. Also, never play turbos! You blink once and the blinds are 100, blink twice and you are in push/fold mode. Time favours the better player.

One thing that works for me when I'm struggling is playing only ONE SNG at a time. It can be really boring at first,... but it maximizes your focus on that game. I can be really confident that, win or lose, I played my absolute best. It's really slow, and you won't be able to build your BR very fast, but in the beginning, study and improvement is much more important IMO.
      Thank you for your advice, i have been playing turbos just because there quick for pp as im going for a bonus. And i am going to stay at Partypoker, if sng's dont work out for me i will more to cash game i have some experience (20k hands between 4nl-25nl) I will take on board playing one sng and i have already completed the ICM light training.

I appreciate your advice guys and hopefully i have an upswing quickly.
    • Swire
      Swire
      Bronze
      First win in 150 sng's :D Hopefully thats a good sign.... Must of been a big downswing as before i started solely playing sng's i was winning 1/5 sng's. And i tryed your 1 table theory and it worked so did playing speed tables instead of turbo sng's. Thanks for your advice. Depending on how the next week goes i might change to SSS as the variance and swing's in sng's is horrible.

Swire
    • Jeero
      Jeero
      Bronze
      Good to hear! Be patient and put in your time and the big upswing will come! Also, I wouldn't be so quick to flip-flop between games,... I played FL, SNG's, and now I'm starting to play PLO. I probably played about 150k hands of FL (maybe more) before switching,... and I still play FL occasionally. I can tell you that ALL of these games are very swingy with high varience. NL cash games is my weakest game and I have very little experience in it so I don't know first hand,... but I wouldn't think it's much more stable, if at all. Poker is inherently very swingy,... otherwise the fish wouldn't play.