Moving from NL2 to NL5

• michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      Hi all

So far have 36,000 hands on NL2 with a steady win-rate. Bankroll approaching $250, right now it's at $245.

Planning to move up as soon as I get across the $250 mark.

Any general advice? Or are the NL5 players at about the same level as NL2? Maybe overall a bit tighter?

Thanks a lot
  • 8 replies
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      Hi.. Nothing to worry about when switching from NL2 to NL5 =)

When i was switching to NL5 i didnt even realize any difference, i dont even think its more tighter or something =) Just keep playing solid ABC value poker and you should profit solidly..

Anyway, 250$ to switch to NL5 is very conservative =) Its all up to you but with 250$ you could actually think about NL10 =) But its about your comfort zone..

Good luck ;)
    • michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      Thanks a lot.

I have definitely heard stories about how NL5 has an equal percentage of bad "WTF" type players as NL2.

Will hold off NL10 for now, probably want to get about 20,000k hands at NL5 first.
    • Bierbaer
      Bierbaer
      Bronze
      The most important thing when moving up at any limit is not to change your game.

Many players tend to assume the opponents on the upper limit are much better. So they overadjust even before they see what's actually happening.
      An example is when you get reraised preflop:
      On your home limit you would think "ok so he has a hand, i fold", even if it happens twice in a row.
      However if this happens twice on the upper limit many players think more like "omg this limit is sooo aggressive, they're bluffing me already" and go ahead and bluffb4et or call.

So bottom line: Keep your game the way it is, if it seems that you get bluffed or outplayed more often: You are not!
    • FWKanobi
      FWKanobi
      Bronze
      Originally posted by michaelqian
      Hi all

So far have 36,000 hands on NL2 with a steady win-rate. Bankroll approaching $250, right now it's at $245.

Planning to move up as soon as I get across the $250 mark.

Any general advice? Or are the NL5 players at about the same level as NL2? Maybe overall a bit tighter?

Thanks a lot
      gratz for the winnings :-)
      Did you start with 50 ?
      Was there any bonus clearing on the way ?

Very impressive :D
    • slowshow
      slowshow
      Bronze
      Yea, good luck man and respect for such grinding! :f_biggrin:
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      When I moved from NL2 to NL4, I saw that oponnents think faster. I could play 7 tables on iPoker on NL2, but it was hard to play 6 on NL4 because of speed.
    • michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      gratz for the winnings :-) Did you start with 50 ? Was there any bonus clearing on the way ?

Yes had the help of 2X $50 bonuses along the way, started with $50.

Also taking into account of weekly rake back which was about $1 per week.

So net winning is about $90.

NL5 going pretty good at the moment, actually hit my first royal flush just now on NL5.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Your roll is good for NL10 (I usually play NL10 with 200$) :P

But ok some wanna have more buffer I guess.

No difference NL2 and NL5 I think. There is no difference up until NL25-30 level. Nl10 just slightly different, people can squeeze.. oh and they can fold too now suprise suprise.

Am playing NL5 atm too on stars.. started with 100$ BR going up nicely too.