Getting too much respect for my raises.

• DodoStek
      DodoStek
      Bronze
      Heya, I am new on these boards and I only play on PartyPoker since a week ago. I'm totally new to internet-poker but now I'm having a dilemma.

I am just getting plain too much respect for my raises. Often I raise from middle position to 4/5x BB when nobody has limped yet, or even when some have. Almost 90% of the time, everybody behind me folds. I'm having difficulties with this, because my legitimate hands aren't getting enough action. On the other hand, it's quite nice because now I raise with every Ax and every time I steal the blinds.

Which hands would you recommend me to play in a situation like this? Should I play really loose? Where should I draw the line about what to raise and what to fold?
  • 9 replies
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      I'd love to have this problem, but you don't need to adjust much except from late position and in the blinds (even with limpers in the big blind, but raising lightly from there is a slightly advanded topic, and on the button) where, depending on how tight the players behind you really are, you might steal with anything up to 100% of your hands (just bear in mind that they're calling with superior hands and you should expect to be behind when you do get action!)

Any earlier and you run the risk of someone behind you waking up with a real hand.

Of course, this is assuming that your perception is accurate. It's probably not. Without poker tracker and a HUD you should observe the behaviour of players at your table very closely before making any adjustments of any sort.
    • DodoStek
      DodoStek
      Bronze
      It is not just something I have experienced at one particular table. Right now I am playing on the micro-limits NL and almost everyone plays weak tight. Maybe there is a more reknown member who used to play at these limits or plays on the limits, but I am pretty sure my observations are accurate.

Of course the 90% could be a bit exagerated, but from early position around 50% of the time I raise 4/5BB everyone folds, and from middle and late it is even more. This makes me want to raise with everything from Ax and up, because everytime I do it, I get another 1.5BB profit.

However, I am a bit worried, because most of my legitimate hands don't get called.
    • matti2k
      matti2k
      Bronze
      If you're not sure which hands to play wether shorthanded or fullring, then just play by the startinghand-charts you can find in the strategy-guide.

grtz
    • mchaggis
      mchaggis
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DodoStek
      It is not just something I have experienced at one particular table. Right now I am playing on the micro-limits NL and almost everyone plays weak tight. Maybe there is a more reknown member who used to play at these limits or plays on the limits, but I am pretty sure my observations are accurate.

Of course the 90% could be a bit exagerated, but from early position around 50% of the time I raise 4/5BB everyone folds, and from middle and late it is even more. This makes me want to raise with everything from Ax and up, because everytime I do it, I get another 1.5BB profit.

However, I am a bit worried, because most of my legitimate hands don't get called.
      If you raise 20% of hands and everyone folds you will be making about 30bb/100 so be happy :D
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Do you play shorthanded or fullring? Have you seen the Starting Hands Charts in our Strategy Guide? They should be a first orientation for beginners. But if you feel comfortable and make more profit with a looser style: try it. But be careful as long as your postflop-play has some leaks. Post some hands in our forum and try to get some advice there.

Good luck!
    • awishformore
      awishformore
      Bronze
      Actually, I think that's the reason why SSS isn't as effective as it should be. I almost never got called on KK and AA. Making only 1.5BB with such cards is kinda frustrating. But I still try to play as tight as the SSS suggest until I doubled my stack, from there on I play a biter looser and switch to a different style.
    • Mystrapoker
      Mystrapoker
      Bronze
      Ill tell you what I personally do. You can take my advice or disregard it, your choice. Its also dangerous to do, so I dont do it often.

When peoples always fold when I raise, what I usually do is to raise like I usually do, but with trash hands. Then if I win the pot without a showdown, I show my hand. I do this a couple of times, and peoples feel run over. It might put some peoples on tilt, and the weak players will think you have switched style, so the next time you do it with premium hands, you will get a couple of callers. The ideal situation is(when you have something) that someone re-raise you to 'keep you honest'.

Its very important that you show your cards cheaply when attempting to 'untighten the table'. So if you get to the flop, fold your trash hand.
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      Perhaps you didn't notice, but the last post in this thread was three months ago today.
    • Mystrapoker
      Mystrapoker
      Bronze
      Yeah, sorry about that. The post was on the second page so I thought it was recent. Didn't see the dates. I noticed that after I replied to the post.