Using a less-risk strategy

• zhenzhenZHEN
      zhenzhenZHEN
      Bronze
      what do you guys think by doing this: instead of playing for first, play for getting ITM.
      obviously this is suboptimal and doesnt maximize EV, but i think by playing more passive than usual, it is less variance and so we can scrape 3rd or 2nd place more often

the reason for this is i only had $5 left on my account after cashing out all the rest like $300 lol, and I only had 2 buyins on the $2.25s to start with.. and it seems to work well =D

ofc after getting more buyins then we switch to playing for first again :f_grin:
  • 10 replies
    • GunFlavoured
      GunFlavoured
      Bronze
      Bad idea IMO, people that play like that get bullied on the bubble and end up blinding away in an attempt to fold into 3rd. 1st usually pays so much better so you're better off taking some +EV risks to reach a better pay off which makes up for other times you bust. As for this strategy working with 2 BI, no matter what strategy you use you will most likely go broke without a lot of luck. Only way your strategy might work is DoNs but I can't say because I don't play them.
    • Frakkk
      Frakkk
      Bronze
      With 2 buy ins left, you are better off playing cashgame on micro limits. You can play passive in sng's but as GunFlavoured said, you will get bullied out of the money very easy.
    • fakedurrr
      fakedurrr
      Bronze
      yea exactly , why would u wanna get third when u have to beat 6 others to get there and get only double of ur BI? waste of time
      u should play DoNs so that u will doubleup ur BI more easily if u can use ATC pushes when necesary ANd u can fold urself to the bubble
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      Few years back when my BR was small, my firs priority was to get ITM and I felt so happy about it when I managed to achieve it. That didn't mean that I folded AA preflop but I just didn't push weak hands like J9o on BU first in etc. I had pretty good ROI and essentially you will win some tourneys (so many times I have had like 2-4bb on bubble and then manage to final table tourney for $2k or so).

Of course your BRM is ridiculous. Maybe try those $0.10 360 mans (if you are from stars) - weak field, even my dumbass friend manages to ship those occasionally, you have 50 buy-ins.

Good luck!
    • dadude77
      dadude77
      Bronze
      or you can play like an absolute nit on NL2 which I would say is def safer!
    • zhenzhenZHEN
      zhenzhenZHEN
      Bronze
      but i crush the $2 sngs and suck at everything else =(

even the $1 sngs
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      I think the concept "playing for first" is a bad concept in STT's. Just make the moves that will make you the most money.
    • fakedurrr
      fakedurrr
      Bronze
      Originally posted by viewer88
      I think the concept "playing for first" is a bad concept in STT's. Just make the moves that will make you the most money.
      adn that means to play to win so using Nash pushes which are usually to increase ur equity = play to win but sometimes u just have to fold to get ITM as well
    • zhenzhenZHEN
      zhenzhenZHEN
      Bronze
      using optimal pushes sometimes means taking a borderline +ev move like very very very close calls etc that are profitable in the long term

but if i lose those calls in the short term, i wont have the roll to be able to play the sngs again, so there is no long term

so what i mean by that is just to pass up on marginal spots and avoid as many showdowns as possible..
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by zhenzhenZHEN
      using optimal pushes sometimes means taking a borderline +ev move like very very very close calls etc that are profitable in the long term

but if i lose those calls in the short term, i wont have the roll to be able to play the sngs again, so there is no long term
      You're edge in sng's is not THAT huge, you need every bit of it. If you cant make the place that maximise your expected profit you shoulden't play them. The best idea is moving down in limits out of BRM considerations (or play cash or w/e)

so what i mean by that is just to pass up on marginal spots and avoid as many showdowns as possible..
      This is definatly a good idea in low-limit sng's imo

Also fakedurr I don't really understand what you mean? Maximizing equity is not the same as playing to win because there are ICM considerations in sng's. That's why you have to fold AK on the bubble sometimes, chipEV and $EV are not equal.