[NL2-NL10] SB x BB bigstacks preflop call

• wotar
      He just sat down at a table and was the only other big-stack there so I called him with marginal hand. Usually I prefer raise pre-flop, but here my holding was really weak, so my idea was to call the small bet to see the flop cheaply. I think it is possible to play some times like this to variate my game. But I was quite blamed for that, so I want to know other opinions. Thanks in advance!

IPoker Network $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em - 7 players
      The Official 2+2 Hand Converter Powered By DeucesCracked.com

BB: $10.00
      UTG: $1.55
      UTG+1: $2.89
      MP: $5.35
      CO: $6.96
      BTN: $2.05
      Hero (SB): $19.30

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is SB with 5:club: 4:diamond:
      5 folds, Hero calls $0.05, BB raises to $0.30, Hero calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.60) Q:diamond: 4:spade: 4:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $0.40, Hero calls $0.40

Turn: ($1.40) 9:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.70, BB raises to $1.40, Hero raises to $5.60, BB raises to $9.30 all in, Hero calls $3.70

River: ($20.00) 3:heart: (2 players - 1 is all in)
  • 3 replies
    • Diorama
      Well played.
    • MaestroOfZerg

Well i see absolutely no point in limp/calling such a bad hand out of position against a big stacked unknown. The pot is as big as if you had raised yourself, except now you don't even have the initiative. I think even limp/folding it is better as a metagame plan, since this would enable you to limp/3bet in the future without having to get into trouble out of position immediately with one of the worse possible hands. So if you're going to play it just raise/fold it preflop, and mostly you should just open-fold imo.

Postflop you have the nuts and it's hard for you to have 4x, it's even harder for him, i think you can just raise his c-bet and take it from there, tho your line has the merit of being funky so you might induce more spazzy plays that way.

Hope it helps.
    • wotar
      Grazia, helped a lot!

He had AA btw., so he got very unlucky.

I thought it is better for me to limp/call the small bet then to fold to possible reraise, as I knew I am behind and need the flop to help me a lot.

Maybe I shold not watch WSOP videos that often :)