This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] SB x BB bigstacks preflop call

• wotar
      wotar
      Bronze
      He just sat down at a table and was the only other big-stack there so I called him with marginal hand. Usually I prefer raise pre-flop, but here my holding was really weak, so my idea was to call the small bet to see the flop cheaply. I think it is possible to play some times like this to variate my game. But I was quite blamed for that, so I want to know other opinions. Thanks in advance!

IPoker Network $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em - 7 players
      The Official 2+2 Hand Converter Powered By DeucesCracked.com

BB: $10.00
      UTG: $1.55
      UTG+1: $2.89
      MP: $5.35
      CO: $6.96
      BTN: $2.05
      Hero (SB): $19.30

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is SB with 5:club: 4:diamond:
      5 folds, Hero calls $0.05, BB raises to $0.30, Hero calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.60) Q:diamond: 4:spade: 4:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $0.40, Hero calls $0.40

Turn: ($1.40) 9:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.70, BB raises to $1.40, Hero raises to $5.60, BB raises to $9.30 all in, Hero calls $3.70

River: ($20.00) 3:heart: (2 players - 1 is all in)
  • 3 replies
    • Diorama
      Diorama
      Black
      Well played.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Well i see absolutely no point in limp/calling such a bad hand out of position against a big stacked unknown. The pot is as big as if you had raised yourself, except now you don't even have the initiative. I think even limp/folding it is better as a metagame plan, since this would enable you to limp/3bet in the future without having to get into trouble out of position immediately with one of the worse possible hands. So if you're going to play it just raise/fold it preflop, and mostly you should just open-fold imo.

Postflop you have the nuts and it's hard for you to have 4x, it's even harder for him, i think you can just raise his c-bet and take it from there, tho your line has the merit of being funky so you might induce more spazzy plays that way.

Hope it helps.
    • wotar
      wotar
      Bronze
      Grazia, helped a lot!

He had AA btw., so he got very unlucky.

I thought it is better for me to limp/call the small bet then to fold to possible reraise, as I knew I am behind and need the flop to help me a lot.

Maybe I shold not watch WSOP videos that often :)