Smileyphil on SSS

• Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      Welcome!
      Hi everyone,
      Today I noticed that somebody had posted on my old blog and it got me thinking just how much blogging had improved my play. It forces the mind to justify each move and reduces tilt because you know at the end of the day if you play badly you will have to post about it in your blog and everyone will know.

Since quitting the SSS a month or two ago I have experimented with other variants but in the end I keep coming back to the strategy. I love the aggression that is imbodied in the strategy.

About Me:
      My name is Phil, I live in England where we love to discuss the weather. Today it is raining. I drink tea. I love maths and poker. I also love to go rock climbing. Thats about it.

In the past I have played the SSS upto NL100 and have had reasonable experience using the gold articles and advanced strategy. However this does not mean my play or ideas are the best! There is always room to improve!

Aims:
      I would like to improve my play and improve my multitabling skills. I do have financial longterm goals in mind but for now my main aim must be to improve my play.

Goals:
      :spade: Mix up my sessions:
      - Sometimes I will play 6 tables focusing on resteals, steals and improving my play.
      - The rest of the time I will cascade the tables and attempt to increase the amount. To start with I will just do 9 (I am not used to more) and then try and increase steadily.
      :spade: Review my sessions more often.
      :spade: Stick to NL25 until I feel very confident in my play.

Smileyphil :D
  • 8 replies
    • fakedurrr
      fakedurrr
      Bronze
      Wow, how many blogs u have now? :) but that blog Mathematics in SSS or how it is called was really good one
      I wish u good luck and I will strat with SSS in month o r so as well so hope we will progress together :)
    • Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      I have a few old ones as I tried other things but this is the only one I actually update/check. About to play my first session of the new blog. Hope I run well.

• fakedurrr
      fakedurrr
      Bronze
      GL, Will u upgrade again every 5k hands?
      Where do u play right now? do u clear osme bonus or do u have some rakeback?
      Will u play Toruneys as well? If so will u post them here or in other blogs :) I reckomend u to post here everything for example when u go some big tourney once a week u can post it here
    • Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      First Session - Cascading 9 Tables:
      :club: Length of Session: 40 Minutes:club:

:heart: General Mood: Cheerful :heart:

:spade: Music of the Session: Queens of the Stone Age:spade:

:diamond:D rink of Choice: Cup of Tea, Yum.:diamond:

So I kicked off my first session cascading 9 tables. The session seems to have gone well. I am up 4BI, my EV is positive, Non-SD line looks pretty good. I don't think I made too many mistakes. I found it relaxing cascading 9 tables except for when I had to open a new one. I don't really have a system to easily shut old tables and open new ones. I don't want to simply close the table when I double because then I miss free hands but if I just click "sit out on blind" then when I sit out it doesn't close the table and makes it hard to tell how many I am playing cause it lurks under all the others.

In answer to Fakedurrr:
      I'm not sure how often I will update. Perhaps just when I feel like it or after particularly interesting thoughts.

I always play on Pokerstars. I like it there and think it has the best software (Party Poker is murder imo). I currently have Gold Star status and use my FPP whenever possible to buy bonuses. Equates to reasonable rakeback.

I don't often play tourneys that I have to pay to enter now but I do try to play the VIP tourneys because they have great payouts. I will post here my results in any I play.

When you start SSS'ing let me know how it goes, yeah?
      I like your screenname btw. Good choice.

• Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      Realisations:
      :spade: I tried a bit of cascading but to be honest I'm pretty sure that my play is far, far better when I tile. I can tile 9/12 happily when I want a fast paced game and 4/6 when I want more time for decisions. I think this is more beneficial than trying to cascade.

:spade: I am not making proper use of the hand evaluation thread. I do tend to read through most of the hands but I only rarely make my own comments (I do think about it at least) and I hardly ever post hands.

I think one of my aims should be to try and post several of my hands each session that were particularly tricky and hopefully it'll improve my game.
    • Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      Playing without Results:
      Lots of (experienced) players say you shouldn't ever focus on short term results but instead focus on playing well and having positive EV in the long run.

In theory I agree with this. From a mathematical point of view it makes perfect sense. Why then do I sometimes check my results at the end of a session and feel disappointed that I lost money? I don't even necessarily look for leaks afterwards I just feel dejected and assume I was doing everything wrong.

From now on I will attempt to play poker without checking the result regularly. I have removed the $, BB/100 and $EV from my HEM screen. I can of course still check the number of hands I've played and my VPIP etc...

I had a thoroughly enjoyable session today where I felt I played better because I wasn't constantly thinking about the bottom line. The only thing I am unsure of is when I am allowed to check whats happening. Maybe every 10k hands or something... Maybe never?

• KidPokersKid
      KidPokersKid
      Global
      Checking it never would be interesting though you would know if you were up or down by your bankroll :f_biggrin:
    • Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      Ignore this blog:
      Sorry its stupid for people to read this blog when I have another one already.

If theres a mod out there who can delete it can you just delete this blog entirely please?