Late tourney registration an advantage?

• andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      Last night I entered an MTT on Stars. By the scheduled start time there were nearly 4000 entrants..........

However Stars now have an extended late registraion period that stretches up to an hour after the tourney begins. After the first hour there were 10118 entrants. Blinds for this were 15mins starting with 2000 chips

So is entering late an advantage or disadvantage? (the number that entered late would suggest that these players think later is better)

Is there a mathematical model for this?
  • 15 replies
    • Frakkk
      Frakkk
      Bronze
      What advantage would you have? You get the same starting chips on a higher blind level and you play less cards. I can't really see any great advantage, but the more experienced members could prove me otherwise:)
    • Julest
      Julest
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Frakkk
      What advantage would you have? You get the same starting chips on a higher blind level and you play less cards. I can't really see any great advantage, but the more experienced members could prove me otherwise:)
      IMO it's a really interresting question !

You don't have to pay blind for 1 hours. When you are in, there is already a lot of busted guys, that's means less difficulties to reach final table ?

But you play less hands, blind are higher.

I just try to understand this behaviour. For each tournament I played, I saw a lot of guys registering few minutes before the end of late registration. Why they do this ?

PS: Sorry for my english
    • amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      Tbh I don't think it is an advantage really. You're always very far from being in the money whether you register early or late and to be honest I'd rather see more hands and so increase my chance of a premium hand than sit down when a few players have been busted out.
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      I must admit andy I had often wondered the same, but I agree with amplifyd, I think it is better to register early and use the first hour to wait for hands and gradually build your stack up.

I did enter one late the other day (just a $1 tourney) and it was pretty much push/fold within the first few circuits due to the higher blinds and the larger relative stack size of the opponents. Theres little chance of pot control as the bigger stacks will just push you into committing to a pot.

Think of late registering as entering a rebuy tournament without rebuying, I think unless you get lucky with a quick double-up, it's going to be a struggle.

Would be interested in the views of others though.

Best regards,

Bart
    • zhorzh
      zhorzh
      Bronze
      Well, but then again you all know that gameplay becomes more "legtimate" after the rebuy period is over, and if you add on you still easily can have more than 20 BB.
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      I've just checked some more of the figures from this tourney............out of 10118 final entrants, only +-7000 are still left at the start of the second hour.

So........

$1 to enter at beginning with prize pool of $4000 against 4000 entrants
      or
      $1 to enter after an hour with prize pool of $10118 against 7000 entrants

Option two is better value for money?
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by andyb43
      I've just checked some more of the figures from this tourney............out of 10118 final entrants, only +-7000 are still left at the start of the second hour.

So........

$1 to enter at beginning with prize pool of $4000 against 4000 entrants
      or
      $1 to enter after an hour with prize pool of $10118 against 7000 entrants

Option two is better value for money?
      But average chip stack will undoubtably be double (at least) the starting stack and some players will have 3, 4 or even 5x bigger stack than yourself and start to bully you, so I think you'll still be struggling tbh.

Would be interested in the opinion of someone like ihufa, yoghi etc.

Best regards,

Bart
    • nafar84
      nafar84
      Bronze
      Maybe they all want to be fashionably late like Phil Hellmuth.
    • simba79
      simba79
      Basic
      what if the tourney allows re-buy and add-ons? Any one joining at the end of the first hour before the registration closes can buy-in and also get multiple re-buys or add-ons to make sure that he has at least the average chip stack. Surely, he puts in more money than any one just buying in initially. Imagine putting $50 and get 10,000 chips compared to $10 in the beginning to get 2000 chips. The prize pool once the registration closes is so high that placing multiple re-buys and/or add-on looks worth it.
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      These tourneys are freeze-outs i.e. no add ons or rebuys
    • shortfuse
      shortfuse
      Bronze
      are you nuts?

if we are good players, better players, then we need to make sure we play as many hands as possible i.e register ON TIME.
    • Frakkk
      Frakkk
      Bronze
      Andy, your calculations are correct, but don't really matter. If you register early, by the end of the registration period the number of entrants will be the same, the prize pool will be the same anyway.

If you register late, you miss the first hour of play, about 70 hands and the opportunities to collect some chips, and the reads on people at the tables. You might be closer to the money, but you are often crippled and that money is still a looooonnnggg way to go.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no advantage registering late. IMO people do it because they just notice that there is still registration available, not on because they want to gain some advantage.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      IMHO, I would much rather register "on time".
      In hindsight there will be more fish at the start of the tournament and this is where you can find some easy money.
    • sabo999
      sabo999
      Bronze
      Originally posted by nafar84
      Maybe they all want to be fashionably late like Phil Hellmuth.
      I Always Register Late for the Tournaments, i go downstairs have my mum paint my face..then put on my cloak (well..its a self-fashioned towel + string combo) Then hit "PLAY" On the Stereo and March Up the Stairs to 'Chesney Hawks - One And Only' Before i Sit down to play some greeeeeat push or fold poker -

So Imho, Late Reg Is the Way Forward :f_cool:

Sabo :club:
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      So most of us (me included) here would register on time (except our Helmuth look-a-like).

Just seems from the figures that the majotirty actually playing in the tourneys register late for whatever reason. Takes all sorts i suppose........ :f_biggrin: