Seriously doubting poker.

• DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      i feel like crying.
      I won a tournament for 688$ an was trying to grind 12$ SnGs.
      I've completely failed, my bankroll is now halfed, and i just feel like shit.
      I dont know what to do to improve my game, i'm just so pissed off i dont know what to do.
      Need help with my game...
  • 19 replies
    • harleytopper
      harleytopper
      Bronze
      If you are not sure about your game, stop playing and start analyzing your game and decide is it a downswing or your game isn't good enough for this limit...

1) Post hands in SNG section.
      2) Re-read articles, till you understand them.
      3) Practice your ICM.
      4) Take a coaching sesion.

Then restart playing level below, till you are confidient to move up again.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Hey DecMate,

Don't worry, your not alone.
      There are plenty of people out there including myself going through these kind of downswings.
      It's tough and sometimes I ask myself why, why do I put myself through this, why don't I just quit, how can I beat this, how do I improve etc etc.

But we just need to take each step one at a time.

Hope everything works out for you, just don't beat yourself up about it.
      It's only a game. Just do your best to improve and take it from there.

Regards,

Kyle.
    • shortfuse
      shortfuse
      Bronze
      forget everything.

think of it like this: you have $300 now

1. do what harleytopper says
      2. you will now be much better and will have improved
      3. now you can grind $3-$6 sngs
      4. along the way, analyse your game continually and again you will feel more confident.

a few months later:

you are now 10x better and have far greater experience and knowledge. now crush the $11s.

poker is about improving, its only when you start feeling beat that you learn more. this is good news.
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      Ugh its not tho cus i told people that i won the tourny an was bragging about it an now they like how you doin an im like ... :(

but yeah how could i analyse my play?
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      First of all my dear friend, you have to start doubting yourself, not the poker ;)

Thats the most valuable advice i can give you.. Stop thinking about yourself that you are good player =) .. There are not many good poker players (neither am I). There are lot of solid players but few good and even less perfect players.

The good news on the other hand are, that you can become solid player in no time and you can become good player one day =) Its just the matter of attitude.

So keep rereading articles, watch videos, attend coaching, ask things, think about ur game, post hands, discuss hands etc =) Theres a lot you can do.
    • EdgarAronov
      EdgarAronov
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DecMate
      Ugh its not tho cus i told people that i won the tourny an was bragging about it an now they like how you doin an im like ... :(

but yeah how could i analyse my play?
      watch lots of videos from PS and download the "ICM Trainer".
      Practise with it every day and watch videos every day.
      As someone already said, we all have been there, but these swings improved us all, take advantage of it and.
      Watch the videos and compare it to your play, save every hand you lost your SNG and day later analyze it.
      gl

BTW, this should cheer you up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb5P42lsPyE
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      I don't think im good tho.
      I buy mags / books an try and get better but i just seem no good at grinding, i need someone to help analyse my play but i don't have a mic for coaching sesh's.
      I usually play short handed an the ICM thing just totally baffle's me o.O a bit.

I get the concept i guess but just don't know what to do. ARGH.
      I suck right now.
      Thanks for the feedback,
      and is there any vidoes on short handed SnG's cus i haven't found any =\
      ill go search again..
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DecMate
      I don't think im good tho.
      I buy mags / books an try and get better but i just seem no good at grinding, i need someone to help analyse my play but i don't have a mic for coaching sesh's.
      I usually play short handed an the ICM thing just totally baffle's me o.O a bit.

I get the concept i guess but just don't know what to do. ARGH.
      I suck right now.
      Thanks for the feedback,
      and is there any vidoes on short handed SnG's cus i haven't found any =\
      ill go search again..
      How about trying cash games?=)
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      i did play cash games but i just feel like i'm better at SnG's
    • kosmonaut111
      kosmonaut111
      Bronze
      What SnGs did you play before the tournament ?
      I think you shouldnt move up big steps just because you can afford it now.
      Moving up means, that you have played profitably on lower limit. Maybe you ancountered better opponent on higher limits and so you werent winning player anymore.
      But ok, whats done, is done.

Like said, learn, post hands and attend coachings. Grind on lower limits (you can even play 2 dollar sngs until you gained your full confidence.
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Read this blog beginning to end. The answers lie within.

I hate real work...
    • marvinas
      marvinas
      Bronze
      You sound like you need a shoulder to cry on, not a real advice. So yes, life is hard, poker is even harder, basically life is a bitch and then you die.

And yes, you should learn poker only to have something to say when your friends asks how you're doing.
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      Originally posted by marvinas
      You sound like you need a shoulder to cry on, not a real advice. So yes, life is hard, poker is even harder, basically life is a bitch and then you die.

And yes, you should learn poker only to have something to say when your friends asks how you're doing.
      o....k
      This is nothing to do with my real life lol, just poker. And i just need some coaching sessions i think. I got a new laptop for my birthday and it has an inbuilt mic which i could use?

How do i arrange a coaching sesh? thanks.
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      this is the type of shit which happens all the time, i mean, ALL the time.
      just happend to me
      http://cakepoker.com/en/HandHistory/Default.aspx?Hand=xsTGwsLAwba2x8TExMTGw4jFxc3HxMDD

OMFG cake is fucking rigged i swear to god omg..
      http://cakepoker.com/en/HandHistory/Default.aspx?Hand=xsTGwsLAwbfAt8TExMTBw4jFxc3HxMDD
    • aceonetheriver
      aceonetheriver
      Bronze
      Originally posted by JuiceQuadre
      First of all my dear friend, you have to start doubting yourself, not the poker ;)

Thats the most valuable advice i can give you.. Stop thinking about yourself that you are good player =) .. There are not many good poker players (neither am I). There are lot of solid players but few good and even less perfect players.

The good news on the other hand are, that you can become solid player in no time and you can become good player one day =) Its just the matter of attitude.

So keep rereading articles, watch videos, attend coaching, ask things, think about ur game, post hands, discuss hands etc =) Theres a lot you can do.
      :heart: +99999:heart:

enough said !
    • excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Silver
      ok listen to this

i tell people that I play poker and it is my second source of income and sometimes i do brag if they ask me how much im making

last monday i went bust. im talking 67cents bankroll. All i had was a reload bonus which was released in $20 increments but I had to of course pay rake to release it.

So i grinded micro limits. Got 20 released. grinded low limits. got another 40 released altogether and I am sitting on $250 4 days later.

Even if i had 100 released altogether, it is still a profit of $150. So with you starting at $6 SNG with $300 I can hardly call that a failure.

Cheer up and read read read play play play, evaluate hands and analyze situations.

Good luck
    • Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      That's some very nice positive thinking there, excelgeo. :f_thumbsup:
    • showhand365
      showhand365
      Bronze
      Becalm and continue to play
    • Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze