Poker's Stigma

• luvr7
      luvr7
      Bronze
      So I went home to my parents place for Thanksgiving dinner this weekend (Canada) and I taught my little cousin (SHE is 17) how to play poker. She went from not even knowing hand rankings (This is 1 pair, 2 pair, 3 of a kind...) to watching me play, watching WSOP and finally 2 Months 2 Millions (most recent episode actually gave her a real good sense of the swings that happen and the stakes some people play at). Then we got right into bankroll management (Key foundation point to make I think) I was amazed by how quickly she learned and how interested she was (at first glance you'd think she just cares about boys and clothes).

And then....

Before she even has the chance to say "Hey Mom, Angela taught me how to play poker", my Mom was standing in the doorway to the computer room with her Mom. My Mom: "So you teaching Molly how to play poker?" Her Mom: "Ewww I don't know if I like that". So we shhooooed them out of the room and continued. Then later on before they left for the evening her Mom says something like "Oh Molly's too interested in clothes and boys to get into poker"

Basically, my cousin had just barely decided for herself she was interested and wanted to learn more and her Mom had already found out and decided it wasn't a good idea (when she obviously knows NOTHING about it)

I am sooooo frustrated by people who know absolutely nothing about the game making judgments about it and the players and deciding it's nothing but something for degenerate gamblers. I'm sure the poor girl got lectured the whole way home.

Meanwhile, if she really stays interested in it, I'm going to continue to teach her and she can be my sample student to see if I make a good teacher. So far, so good.

The only problem is I don't live very close and don't see her very often but thanks to the internet we can chat, and I will keep helping her if she wants it.
  • 14 replies
    • degre
      degre
      Bronze
      Getting on students? Good luck with that :)
    • luvr7
      luvr7
      Bronze
      Eh? No I have no intention of trying to teach people anytime soon. I'll teach her if she's really interested but I'm not going to try and coach or anything until I'm far better than I am...and even then I don't know if I'd want to.
    • degre
      degre
      Bronze
      Might have come out the wrong way, was mainly teasing as I've found the idea amusing, but nice story none the less :f_p:
    • luvr7
      luvr7
      Bronze
      Kinda thought so but I thought I'd clarify just in case :P
    • Jeero
      Jeero
      Bronze
      This kind of thing always frustrates me when I hear about it. It's kind of like how some very religious parents don't let their kids watch Harry Potter,...

Just tell them about Durrrr,... he also started when he was 17,...

Poker takes a lot of heart and determination, if your cousin falls in love with the game she'll continue to play and learn, and she'll convince her parents that it's a good thing.

Good luck!
    • fun101rockets
      fun101rockets
      Bronze
      i wonder how durrr got his starting capital
    • AlexanderD22
      AlexanderD22
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fun101rockets
      Think I heard he deposited 100$ or something with a credit card when he was in college? Might be wrong but I think it was talked about during an episode of PAD.
    • slowshow
      slowshow
      Bronze
      Well average Joes tend to think that poker is bad idea, and there are math behind it: average poker player is a fish and -EV. Not many starters will have the disscipline to learn, learn, learn, not to tilt, learn, learn, and again learn etc

Most people think that poker is simple game: everything is about bluffing and having bigger balls to do that. As we know, thats -EV. So average Joes are thinking right - playing poker is bad idea :f_biggrin:

Poker is game of skill and discipline, however majority of people who try to play it, dont learn or think at all ... so -EV
    • slowshow
      slowshow
      Bronze
      I have couple of friends and colleagues who are well educated, play live poker, one of them is quite deep in math, however none of them agree that there are any usable math behind a poker. They all look strange at me when i try to tell that there are ranges, positions, equity and stuff. They think its all about bluffing, luck etc., every profit is due to luck, and poker is -EV longterm no matter how You play.

So i am done with trying to educate people to poker :f_p:
    • luvr7
      luvr7
      Bronze
      Originally posted by slowshow
      I have couple of friends and colleagues who are well educated, play live poker, one of them is quite deep in math, however none of them agree that there are any usable math behind a poker. They all look strange at me when i try to tell that there are ranges, positions, equity and stuff. They think its all about bluffing, luck etc., every profit is due to luck, and poker is -EV longterm no matter how You play.

Wow. My Dad is a smart man but he doesn't play holdem. He does have an interest though, after all he's the one who taught me draw poker when I was a kid. After the long weekend, he drove me back to the university and halfway back (3 hour drive), I started talking about poker. It took him all of like 2 seconds to understand that you have to figure out a range of hands your opponent could be playing, then decide your equity and maximize your value. I also explained pots odds and bankroll management and some other things. I think he has a good grasp of it now and understands how people can make long term profit. He also understand how most people never bother to learn that stuff and that's how the rest of us make money :s_biggrin:

My Dad's awesome, I'm such a Daddy's little girl :s_love:
    • Gabinr1
      Gabinr1
      Bronze
      His dad deposited for him $50 on a poker platform as a gift, at Dwans request. It was a Christmas gift.

http://www.cardplayer.com/cardplayer-magazines/65731-tom-dwan-22-1/articles/18095-the-won-39-durrrr-39-ful-life-of-tom-dwan
    • degre
      degre
      Bronze
      Originally posted by slowshow

I think for some people it's a dogma, no matter how well you explain, they're simply not listening to your "flawed" logic.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gabinr1
      His dad deposited for him $50 on a poker platform as a gift, at Dwans request. It was a Christmas gift.
      Deposited $50 and played $6 SNGs ... even if he was already an expert player how lucky do you have to be to not bust out with only 8 buy-ins!
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tokyoaces
      Originally posted by Gabinr1
      Deposited $50 and played $6 SNGs ... even if he was already an expert player how lucky do you have to be to not bust out with only 8 buy-ins!
      you have to be Durrr :f_confused: