Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $5.60
      MP1:
      $6.70

0.1/0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with K:club: , 5:diamond:
      2 folds, MP1 calls $0.25, 5 folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.60) Q:club: , 7:spade: , K:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP1 checks.

Turn: ($0.60) 6:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.50, MP1 folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.60

Thoughts:
      Stats: Its early days so I have no real stats/reads on this villain. He is shaping up to be pretty passive though I guess.

Board Texture: The board is fairly drawless, no flush draw possible and most straight draws will be gutshots.

Hand Strength: I have top pair but no kicker. I am ahead of a reasonable portion of an open limp range but against any aggression I'm toast.

Evaluation: I decided to play it passively on the flop for pot control, I felt there was little need to protect. When villain checks behind and turn bricks I felt I was probably ahead on turn and made a thin value/protect.

Other Lines: Bet/Fold flop? Check/Call turn and river to induce bluffs? Check/Fold because any bet from this villain is likely to be ahead of our hand?
  • 5 replies
    • noclaninator
      noclaninator
      Bronze
      I probably bet/fold flop. Checking is not horrible though as the only real scare card that can come is an ace but checking flop is only really good vs aggressive opponents who will bluff turn and possibly river. I would bet/fold flop and then keep betting if I think the opponent is really bad. Otherwise you can play pot control as this pot is unraised.
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      i like to raise preflop here to show strength. its likely he is playing a suited connector or low pocket pair type hand here. its important to charge limpers premiums to see the flop, even a 4-5bb raise here can work well. follow with 2/3 conti bet and take the pot with your to pair and a few more bbs for your troubles :D
    • Tampaloeres81
      Tampaloeres81
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Ishindar
      i like to raise preflop here to show strength. its likely he is playing a suited connector or low pocket pair type hand here. its important to charge limpers premiums to see the flop, even a 4-5bb raise here can work well. follow with 2/3 conti bet and take the pot with your to pair and a few more bbs for your troubles :D
      This can get you into trouble though. If you get called, you will need to play OOP with a marginal hand. When you hit TP you still have a very bad kicker... And what do you do if you do not hit TP or better c/f?
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      u make a conti bet and if called, dont put anymore money in the pot.

he limped in showing weakness. if his hand is weak hes unlikely to call a 5-6 bb raise. so most of the time u take pot preflop.
      if he calls your pfr, he wont call a conti bet, unless, he hits the flop hard or is already slow playing a monster. he will hit the flop hard 33% of the time and will be slowplaying a monster preflop, almost never.
      the key thing here though is, although its a small sample, he plays 30% of hands and goes to the showdown only 17% of the time. this indicates that he folds a lot to agression unless he has a big hand.

u can only make a play like this against villans who know how to fold. holdem is best played agressively for the most part :)
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      23 hands sir, invalid sample =(

I would play the same since a flopcall from his side can mean anything and you still have to play the Turn/River oop

nice hand!

- Gerv