[NL20-NL50] NL25 TT trapping on river

• GrantJennings
      3bet preflop or smoothcall?

Donkbet flop, or c/r the contibet?
      I chose donkbet because I didn't feel that I could count on the fish to bet for me (I had seen a few spots where he didn't contibet), and I'm scared of clubs, overcards, and any card 2-T completes a potential straight or pairs the board... so there are few safe cards for my overpair. Would c/r be better most of the time?

Should I just bet out on the river, or try to induce a bet/bluff?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.1/$0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:

Preflop: Hero is BB with T, T.
      2 folds, MP1 raises to $0.75, 4 folds, SB calls $0.65, Hero calls $0.50.

Flop: ($2.25) 6, 3, 9 (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.75, MP1 calls $1.75, SB folds.

Turn: ($5.75) A (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP1 bets $2.50, Hero calls $2.50.

River: ($10.75) T (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP1 bets $8.80(All-In), Hero calls $8.80.

Final Pot: $28.35.
  • 3 replies
    • xnyk
      I would reraise preflop against shortstack and SB involved.

Donkbet is not good IMO and I like that probably better than c/r. I don't believe you need to balance your play against the fish, but if you donkbets from time to time with weaker hands also, even better :-)

On the river it is very read dependant. If the fish is aggressive with TP, c/r is an option. I would bet 1/2 pot without a read.

Just my 2cents...
    • Kaitz20
      3-bet pf and getting all-in for 50bb is better than flatting TT imo
      I also like c/r that flop
      c/c is likely fine on the turn and even if you hadn´t hit the set I think you can also c/c river, since he should bluff there enough times
    • GrantJennings
      Thanks for the comments. I've been reading Harrington, and watching WSOP (lots of flat calling with JJ) and I wasn't sure about the 3-bet...

I'ts my standard play. Fortunately things worked out fine for me this hand, but I agree, it's the better play preflop.

Villain was a chronic bluffer. There was at least c/c to showdown this hand. When I hit the set, I decided that he was likely to bet any A, or bluff. He'd call an all in with an A, but not if he had air, so I didn't want to take the betting away from him. Against a player that's capapble of checking top pair on the river, I'd have to bet.