Tournament vs Ring vs SnG

• jacobpierce
      jacobpierce
      Global
      I was wondering what is the most productive game for you in poker. Is it the Sit'n'Gos? Tournaments? or Ring Games? I've been playing a bit of Online poker for recreation lately and ever since I started reading some Sklansky, Hellmuth and other books, I've managed reasonable success... however, I was wondering what you think is most productive in the long run?

Personally, I've had most of my success in tournaments. I haven't received my 50 dollars here yet but I played Absolute for a while before this-- anyway-- I managed a few wins/cashes in .50 to 1.00 buy-in tournaments before I cashed out but whenever i play a ring game my money is all gone fast... :'(

also... sit'n'gos bore me to tears and are too unforgiving in the long run (I placed 4th too many times >_<') lol,

What do you prefer?
  • 9 replies
    • szury
      szury
      Bronze
      tournaments last long.I don't have the time for it.
      I was playing too many times 2-3 hours without winning a cent.

SnG's are my favourites!
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Hi,
      I play a few tournaments (2$ omaha hi or hi/lo mostly, and a few hold'em shootouts), but otherwise 6$ 1-table SNG's or 5-table 6$ SNG's (lots of fish there, easy money.. first place pays 75$ :P )
      and well i'm basically building my bankroll to ~500$ to play at the PL25 omaha cash games (you need a huge bankroll for that... so many ups & downs... and I don't like limit ;) )
      But maybe i'll change my mind and continue playing almost only tournaments...i'll see :)
      Just do whatever you like best (well, except tournaments, you've got to win a little money elsewhere, or have a very big bankroll since you can go a long time without winning one...)
      But basically if you want to play SNG's, have a look at the silver articles once you'll be there, it's very helpful
      Hope that helps
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      Cash games for the win.

I know that most people love to play tournaments... (don't know why but i guess television is making a good job about that)

But actually if you care more about your profit you should stick to cash games and see tournaments as a sweet addition sometimes inbetween.
    • szury
      szury
      Bronze
      what do you mean by cash games? sng, heads up .... ?
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      NL or FL Ring Games...

You can of course also play Speed SNG's very profitable but for that i highly recommend some NL cash game experience...

Best regards,
      Stefan
    • kelkyxxx
      kelkyxxx
      Bronze
      I prefer single table sit and go's, though try to avoid speed games which are more like crap shoots
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kelkyxxx
      I prefer single table sit and go's, though try to avoid speed games which are more like crap shoots
      Actually especially speed SNG's are very profitable to play more then the normal SNG's in general...

Best regards,
      Stefan
    • philjoe
      philjoe
      Bronze
      whyd o u say speedc are more profitable, i completely agree speed is more of an allin and survive fest then skill
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      Mainly it is because of the ICM (Independent Chip Model). Once you know what to do you will more often make the right decisions then your opponents will. So this is in general a longterm decision.

Also you are able to play more Speed SNGs then normal ones in the same time.

In Speed SNG's you are much quicker in Small Stack situations. Most players are playing very badly in these situations. So in general you can say once you know the ICM you will make more right decision in Speed SNG's since normal SNG#s are more complex.

This is only a short explanation.
      Perhaps HoRRoR will add some more reasons ;)

Best regards,
      Stefan