Sick of finishing 4th!!!!!

• robpettitt
      robpettitt
      Bronze
      Just having a bit of a rant. I am playing $1 SNGs on iPoker, trying to build up my bankroll and am having a big problem getting into the money.

For example today had 3x4th place finishes out 6 played, 2x5th place and one early exit due to bad beat.

Have regularly played SnGs for some years now, used to play at higher levels (up to $20) then went off online poker, back now through PS and playing the standard strategy.

My problem is these on the bubble or near bubble exits. I have no stats but seem to keep running into bigger hands when I push, eg today A9 into AA, KT into AQ etc. Very often this is not as short stack but this leaves me very short, no fold equity and I have to push with any two.

My thoughts are these: I have Sklansky's book on tournament poker and his advice is that when you are short but not absolute short stack to tighten up when the next one out would make a big difference to the money (bubble is obvious!). If you then become absolute short stack move to push or fold and loosen up the pushing range as you are now desperate.

Would appreciate thoughts on this?
  • 7 replies
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      When you are not the big stack the bubble is always tricky to play. If I am not the shortest stack I usually tighten up a bit and try to attack the short stack. Sometimes its hard if you do not have position on them.
      I tighten my push ranges when I am pushing into the big stack but dont tighten too much that you blind away. If the big stack is only slightly bigger than my stack I continue as normal, you do not want the big stack to run over the table.

It can be hard, I know I make life very difficult when I have the big stack. Sometimes you just have to put up with it but I am not affraid to shove it when I have a decent hand.
    • robpettitt
      robpettitt
      Bronze
      OK just tried this, avoided a couple of push situations in 2xSnG as per my comments above, and managed to squeeze into the money on both and finished 3rd.

I know I am giving up the chance of blind stealing and putting myself in a better situation to win, but do I have better +EV by finishing in the money more often even if it is only 3rd?
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      Try playing DON's.......they pay to 5th place
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      my strategy, just loosen up once the blinds are 10%+ of your stack, unless you are uber short. By the time the blinds are this big you should have reads on to who is playing tight an whos loose, so you know whos blind to steal.
      Good luck in the future,
      DecMate
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      As the saying goes.....I would rather finish 3rd than 2nd

What this means is you pushed hard enough to make first. Finnishing first should always be in your mind but sometimes our stack just doesnt allow it.

If you are always getting to the bubble as the short stack then I would say you are too tight
    • FWKanobi
      FWKanobi
      Bronze
      Originally posted by robpettitt
      Just having a bit of a rant. I am playing $1 SNGs on iPoker, trying to build up my bankroll and am having a big problem getting into the money.

For example today had 3x4th place finishes out 6 played, 2x5th place and one early exit due to bad beat.

Have regularly played SnGs for some years now, used to play at higher levels (up to $20) then went off online poker, back now through PS and playing the standard strategy.

My problem is these on the bubble or near bubble exits. I have no stats but seem to keep running into bigger hands when I push, eg today A9 into AA, KT into AQ etc. Very often this is not as short stack but this leaves me very short, no fold equity and I have to push with any two.

My thoughts are these: I have Sklansky's book on tournament poker and his advice is that when you are short but not absolute short stack to tighten up when the next one out would make a big difference to the money (bubble is obvious!). If you then become absolute short stack move to push or fold and loosen up the pushing range as you are now desperate.

Would appreciate thoughts on this?
      HI there ,
      I'm currently playing a lot of SnG (you can see my blog in my signature).
      My avg. finish is 4th-5th also
      On the bubble the right approach is to loose and accumulate chips in order to win the SnG instead of blinding out and finish 3rd (or 4th).
      I've been running against monster hands many times and lost with the better hand also (AK vs AJ , or AK vs AQ... even AA vs J5 he hit trips)

My suggestion is to post hands you are not sure you played well , watch the videos , read articles and put some volume....

Best of luck my friend !
    • Pokerzvaigzne
      Pokerzvaigzne
      Bronze
      Just bad day for u like i got today ;(