what games are more profitable?

• 9 replies
    • noclaninator
      noclaninator
      Bronze
      I don't play too much of either, but 6-max NL tables and SNG's are the way to go.

If you play 6-max tables, make sure you have a really loose image, and very aggressive. I've gotten these guys to give me entire stacks with second and bottom pairs.

And if you decide to play SNG's, go for the turbo ones as they attract more fish. Just play very standard supertight early on, superloose later on. The great thing about these is that fish can't seem to let go of their first hand. I haven't quite got a grasp of why this is, but 4 or 5 players will see a showdown on the first hand of a SNG. I think it is because they are trying to become chip leader after the first hand (LOL). As a general rule up to about $11 and probably even $22 SNGs, top pair is the nuts.

Good luck!
    • fun101rockets
      fun101rockets
      Bronze
      thats why cash game players have such a difficult time playing tournies and vice versa (b/c in cash game TP is far from the nuts)
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fun101rockets
      thats why cash game players have such a difficult time playing tournies and vice versa (b/c in cash game TP is far from the nuts)
      I'm pretty sure that good cash player would learn how to play MTTs much faster than good MTT player cash.
    • Leito99
      Leito99
      Bronze
      i think mtt's are the fishiest...probably because fishes look at the big payouts and play there instead of slow increase in bankroll......but out of your options its sng...
    • KidPokersKid
      KidPokersKid
      Global
      For starting out it all depends on your bankroll... If your starting with the capital its alot easier IMO to start SSS and then move your way up to BSS on FR games and then move to BSS on SH games. I started this way and it was pretty easy for me.
      There are a ton of fish on low stakes cash games especially on the big independant platforms (FullTiltP, PStars, PartyP)
    • kosmonaut111
      kosmonaut111
      Bronze
      The fishiest are 6max NL games I think (my own expierence when changing from FR to SH).
      Sngs attract also a lot of fish but I dont know if there are so much on 10$+ sngs.
      MTTs may be fishy, but you need to be very patient on waiting your big money, also sometimes good nerves (when these same fishes suckout on you after 4 hours of play just before the big money).

Overall I think you find much fishes on every type of poker, it is more dependent on the site you play (FTP, pokerstars are quite tight on lower limits compared to everest, pacific etc.

And if you want really much fishes, you can try Stud, omaha, razz (not holdem I mean), but this means, that you have to learn these games also before (otherwise you are the same fish).
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      i think mtt's are the fishiest...probably because fishes look at the big payouts and play there instead of slow increase in bankroll......but out of your options its sng...

This. But I agree that BR considerations normally prevent one taking this up as a regular money generator early on.

When trying to answer the question "what do the fish play?", you have to ask another question first: "what does the fish want?". The answer is essentially two things: 1. action; and 2. excitement. If the fish really wanted the money, he'd take the time to study the game like we are doing. It's actually all about the thrill.

What he wants is the quick buzz of playing lots of hands and the possibility of winning a big payout for a smaller wager - i.e. a 'classic' gamble. SnGs are the ultimate gamble for most fish. (You wager 5$ and you might win $20.)

Similarly, at 6 max, the fish gets to play twice the hands he can play at FR - so he gets more action.

In order to play profitable at 6 max, you have to concentrate harder and - probably - play a smaller amount of tables so that you can adapt to each particular fish and his tendencies.

SnGs have the advantage that you can multitable since you're really following a strict formula of what hands to play, when.

Hope it helps.
    • saneknl
      saneknl
      Bronze
      First of all. Thank you all for usefull information.

I am paling now full ring 10/25c NL tabels.
      Multitabling 10-12 tabels. And I never tried 6-max NL.

Is it possible to Multitabling about 10 tabels on 6-max NL game?
      And what hour rate is realistic in 10/25c 6-max NL per tabel?
      Is there a big differebce between 10/25c 6-max NL and upper limits
      50c and 1$?
    • kosmonaut111
      kosmonaut111
      Bronze
      I can answer few questions.
      I played before 6 tables FR NL10 (about 420 hands/hour) , now play 4 tables SH NL10 (about 370 hands/hour). I feel like I can concentrate more on my opponents (not only stats), especially I can fast adjust to fishes. It's due to less players and also less hands per hour. I think you should start with 4 tables, but if it feels too boring, you can add some tables. 6-8 tables for you seems not be problem, but learning is hard above 4 tables.
      But I think best play from me comes from about 2-3 SH tables.
      But from my own experience I reccomend to start learning 6max.