[NL20-NL50] NL25 AK in bsb

• GrantJennings
      GrantJennings
      Bronze
      to barrel or not to barrel is the question.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.1/$0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      SB(Hero):
      $25.60
      BB:
      $26.95
      MP1:
      $25.55
      MP2:
      $27.20
      MP3:
      $25.00
      CO:
      $34.90
      BU:
      $5.05

Preflop: Hero is SB with K, A.
      5 folds, Hero raises to $1.25, BB calls $1.00.

Flop: ($2.5) 7, 6, 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.60, BB calls $1.60.

Turn: ($5.7) 4 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks.

River: ($5.7) 9 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks.

Final Pot: $5.7.
  • 9 replies
    • maya1984
      maya1984
      Bronze
      Hi,

I wouldn't barrel that card. and I wouldn't stab that river too. both are not cards that can scare him off from a pp (or 7x,6x). You might even be good if he had a FD/SD. so your play is fine.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Interesting raise size - is it because we will be oop vs BB? Had never considered doing this when stealing from SB.

Do you always raise this amount when first in from SB?

As to the hand - it's difficult. I would like to know more about villain's proclivities - if he tends to peel off easily, then a 2nd barrel maybe fine. PPs are only part of his range and I can't really see Ax or broadways calling two streets here.
    • GrantJennings
      GrantJennings
      Bronze
      @Tim64

Yep, I always raise this much when first in from SB, unless I know that the BB will use the Check/fold button. If I know this, then I'll raise any two cards 2bb :s_evil: ... until BB catches on, at which point I go back to 5 bb. You can fool multitablers with this all day .

I don't know much about this villain's proclivities either. They are pretty quiet, weaktight probably. I'm beating Ax and other honour cards already, but A-high K-kickker is not a hand I'm gonna bet for value, even BvsB.

If I decide to complete from the SB against only BB, I'll raise half the time, and call the other half, thereabouts. if I raise, it's to 5bb.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Interesting - like the check/fold button tip; will look out for that :)

So, sometimes you are opencompleting as SB?
    • GrantJennings
      GrantJennings
      Bronze
      yes, I sometimes opencomplete. If the check behind me is instant, I have the green light to steal on flop. I opencomplete with AA sometimes too, as well as with 56o, to be deceptive.

Also, on P-stars, even though there's a flop, there's no drop if the pot's less than $1.

Opencompleting gives me a way to vary my play, and encourages BB to think that when I do raise, it is with solid values...

is anyone else opencompleting, or is it a fish move?
    • maya1984
      maya1984
      Bronze
      Hi Tim,

Against tight Shortstackers or multi-tabling TAGS you can steal with any two cards.
      Against Shortstackers 2BB is enough , multi-tabling TAG I usually make it 3BB.
      5BB is not necessary against when you steal someone who is focusing in the game. 4BB should be enough for nl25.
      And about limping in from SB when everyone fold to you - :f_mad:

GL :)
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Well I'm playing SH, so not too many shortstackers, thankfully.
    • GrantJennings
      GrantJennings
      Bronze
      @Maya1984

Thanks for the ideas regarding BvsB play, I'll take another critical look at opencompleting in sb.

I'm almost always playing 50bb min tables, so I don't encounter many tight short stackers, and I know that I will call a 2bb raise from bb with any two against sb, since I"m getting 3-1 pot odds and position... so I like to raise stiffer when I'm stealing.

I generally see 3-4bb raises at my tables from sb vs bb, so i'll try toning it down by a bb and see if I'm losing any fold equity at this limit.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I wouldn´t c-bet that board or either double barrel
      People won´t fold there often enough that you turn your c-bet into profitable and firing 3 barrel son that board can be very expensive