SSS question - be gentle please!

• Quasar9
      Quasar9
      Bronze
      ok, I've been playing poker for nearly 3 years. I'm obviously still pretty useless as I'm very much a losing player overall (most won was £900 in MTT 6 months ago but have spent all that now!). I mostly play low stakes MTT which I enjoy.

I found Poker Strategy, did the quiz and had $50 put into Stars. The SSS strategy is totally alien to me and I found it really difficult. The main reason was that I rarely had premium hands to play and found myself sitting there for an entire evening getting bored stiff. I ended up losing 4 x $2 buyins the first evening and then resorted to playing the $1 tourneys instead, as I much prefer these - I've always found cash games less enjoyable and don't know why (probably because I tend to lose more playing cash than MTT. At least a $5 tourney lasts a while)

I totally love poker - I read magazines every month, books and forums and have no idea why I can't at least make myself a break-even player at the very least, which would enable me to carry on playing. The way I'm headed I soon wont be able to play at all as I'm on a very tight budget. I have nobody to discuss poker with in the 'real world' which makes it even harder.

Please someone give me some inspiration!!

P.S. Forgot to say I listened to a Bronze coaching session the other day, maybe it's just me but didn't really find it helpful, just interesting, as anything to do with poker is interesting to me.

please be constructive in your replies - I'm desperate :o(
  • 11 replies
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi Quasar9 & welcome to PokerStrategy,

Well your amongst friends here, we all :heart: talking poker :D

First off I totally understand what you are talking about. Before joining PokerStrategy I too was a losing player. Not much, but consistently leaking a little bit here and there and it all adds up.

But never fear (inspiration bit coming), since joining PokerStrategy, I have managed to turn that around and now make a, albeit modest, profit when playing poker. I'm never going to be a high stakes/best poker player in the world, but I've now got a hobby that pays for itself with a little pocket money on the side too. That's the key, enjoying your poker first and then breaking even/making a profit is secondary imo.

You should of course stick to whichever poker variant you prefer in general, however mtt's are tough and you can occasionally go for a long time without cashing big enough to cover your buyins.

It might help you in terms of bankroll and to help pay for your mtt's to at least try the Short Stack Strategy or Big Stack Strategy on cash games. You are right, they don't have the buzz of a tournament, but if you set yourself a time limit (say 1 hour) and follow the strategy guides, in particular the starting hands chart, carefully, you should do ok.

I think you will find that if you keep an open mind and don't stray back into old habits (like I did when first joining before plugging my leaks), the process will actually help improve your overall game including tournament play.

I always think it's more difficult for an established player, like yourself or me to turn around your game than a complete novice as we carry bad habits with us. But like I have said, it is possible to fix these leaks if you keep an open mind and stick strickly to the strategy guides.

Wishing you every success and above all enjoyment in your poker,

Best regards,

Bart
    • Justin37
      Justin37
      Bronze
      I've been there, playing $2 buy in using SSS, couldnt hit any good hand for hours and endup using all the buyin paying for blind lol.

When i do have AK, AQ those big stack dont scare to call you well it's only $2 if goes all in. So, i broke the pokerstrategy rules :) and start playing NL0.10/0.25 and still in profit now with almost 450FPP now.

However, i must admit. POKERSTRATEGY did improve me a lot!!!
      B4 this, i never knew what is BRM, SSS, BSS. ODDs, OUTs and etc etc...

TQ, pokerstrategy.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hello.

I have been playing poker for about 4 years myself and playing low level MTT's and small limit cash games on the side with very bad results albeit before I found poker strategy!

Since I got my original $50 starting capital I have tripled it to $150. I only started 2 weeks ago on Full Tilt and I'm very happy with my progress. To be honest with you I find NL 2, 5 and even 10 useless even with the SSS as far too many donks and internet fan boys/girls play there and call your goods with muck and eat away at your bankroll.

So I started playing NL25, buying in for the right amount, playing against the right amount of BSS and SSS and with far better results. I find there is less donks around these limits and there's a better ROI. So I guess its stick to what you know and play to the strategy. It has worked well for me so far.

I admit I broke the Bankroll to start off but now I'm exactly where I should be. Play at what ever level you feel most comfortable but I would suggest staying away from Micro Limits as I found the SSS doesnt really work.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps and good luck at the tables!
    • slowshow
      slowshow
      Bronze
      Sounds like You are playing 1 table @ a time. Playing SSS without multitabling is boring. Stuff which people underestimate is careful table selection, like avg. pot >20bb, avg VPIP >30, >7 bigstacks @ FR.

GL! :f_biggrin:
    • slowshow
      slowshow
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle
      To be honest with you I find NL 2, 5 and even 10 useless even with the SSS as far too many donks and internet fan boys/girls play there and call your goods with muck and eat away at your bankroll.
      I disagree. I bless poker gods for donks who play with junk, since its -EV for them and +EV for me! I make most money out of donks, who try to beat my SSS starting chart hands with crap. How big is Your SSS sample? I guess less than 1k ... :f_p:
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      SSS requires 8 tables minimum, back in those days i was playing 20+ tables

any lesser and u will get really frustrated and bored. its really a no brainer strat anyway
    • Quasar9
      Quasar9
      Bronze
      thank you all for your comments and advice. Its raised a few good points with me. Yes I did sit with one table open for 4 hours and in that time only had 2 PP over 99. No wonder I was bored!

I don't know why I did that really, as I manage to multi-table tourneys, but only playing up to 3 at a time max as I don't have a massive screen. I don't know how you guys multi-table 8 games at once. I honestly don't think I would be able to manage.

Right, well after spewing a few more $ on $1 tourneys I am now down to $30. I'm going to have another go at SSS, even though I still haven't really got my head round it. I guess I've picked up terrible habits over the last 3 years.

I'd be quite happy to just break even or make a modest profit. Don't think I'm going to rival Vicky Coren or Annie Duke haha.

Thanks again for all your replies. It's much appreciated. Feel free to add any more!
    • Quasar9
      Quasar9
      Bronze
      Just remembered something else I meant to ask. Do many of you use poker tracking software and do you think it would help my game? - bearing in mind I'm a low stakes player who doesn't really multi-table cash games. I've been tempted lots of times to buy one but $80 is a lot of money to me and I don't want to waste it if it wont help me at the moment.
    • degre
      degre
      Bronze
      If you play the SSS by the chart I suggest you play to begin some 6/8 tables, any less and with the SSS starting hand chart you'll slit your wrist out of boredom after an hour of play.

As for tracking software it is indeed quite usefull, but instead of buying a licence right away you might want to get the trial versions, activated in order you can get some 80days worth of trials with HEM, PT3 and Elephant, byt then you should easily have the points to unlock Elephant or the money to buy the licence for one of the others.

For more info about the tracking tools check the software section.
    • pootsman
      pootsman
      Bronze
      Hello there,

I had the same problem. I love $1-3 tourneys at Stars.. and that is really how i lost my whole BR. From $187 to zero. Playing those won't get you far.

Since your a tournament player, i'd recommend sngs.. make your money there and try to get a few good finishes at MTTs once in a while.

But here is the ugly part.. playing sngs and MTTs won't clear your bonus quick enough, i think.
      IMO, learn the SSS.. clear the bonus and then do whatever you like.

About multitableing.. learn the game by heart and start opening more tables. You should get just to the rush in no time.. I usually play 10 tables at once and sometimes im dieing in boredom.

Now, SSS is really very straight forward but poker is a complex game and as soon as you get comfortable with the strategy, you should analyze what are the players like and try to act accordingly. (Just remember not to get too proud and play back with rags.. found myself playing looser then most players at some point.:P )

And here is a picture showing one way of arranging the tables.:)
    • Quasar9
      Quasar9
      Bronze
      pootsman, thank you for your advice. I'm definitely going to give it a go. I totally appreciate what you are saying about not clearing the bonus - think I've got about 5 points at the moment :(

I see you only joined in August but have managed to hit gold already, so you must be doing something right :)

I've taken note of your table layout and I'll also give that a go too.

thank you once again