[NL20-NL50] NL10/25 BSS AKs

• cwpeter89
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.1/$0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K, A.
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.75, CO folds, BU calls $0.75, SB folds, BB calls $0.50.

Flop: ($2.35) T, 5, A (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $3.00, BU folds, BB raises to $12.00, Hero calls $9.00.

Turn: ($26.35) T (2 players)
      BB bets $13.15, Hero ???
  • 5 replies
    • FineWork
      Do you have any reads on villain?

I think i ship this on flop,as played i fold turn.
    • Gabinr1
      Raise to $1 pf. (4*BB)

BB there could have called, imo, with AJ,AQ,AT, because you made it to cheap. He only haves to call 2BB.

But also, could have a set.

A flush is less probable, because of the c/r on the flop.

Any read on the villain would help.

If he's a good player,

With that play, I put him on a set of 5's. That's what I would do. Check flop, knowing that you will bet, then raise because I don't want to see any more cards.

Then when the board pairs, I have a boat, so I value bet.

Hope it helps :)

Let's see what the judge says.
    • cwpeter89
      If I did 4xbet pf to $1 he would still have called if he followed the call20 rule.

I folded on the turn.

Same as above, I put him on a set of 5s on the flop and so was pretty centain that he made the boat on turn.
    • GrantJennings
      I prefer a 4xbb bet preflop with these sorts of hands as well, as it improves the potsize - stacksize ratio in favour of TPTK or overpair sorts of hands like AK. Since Tags play more big cards and pairs than we do 65s sorts of hands that don't mind a high stacksize - potsize ratio, I prefer a 4bb raise with this style of play.

If he calls anyway with stuff like 55, that's fine, as we'll make our profit on the 13 out of 15 hands where he doesn't make his set. Folding this hand on the turn ensures that you don't lose too much those 2/15 times where he makes a set.

That being said, I think the overbet on the flop is a bit overzealous. If you are trying to protect against draws, then 2/3-3/4 of the pot is plenty enough to deny the proper pot odds to call. You actually WANT the flushdraw to pay you to see more cards, because that would be a mistake on his part, given the odds your bet offers... assuming you continue to apply pressure on the turn if you get called.

This is a very tricky hand tho, as he could be on AQ or AJ and be a maniac, so yeah, a read would be really valuable. Sometimes I'd ship flop, but against a rock, I'm gone.

I'm interested to see what the judge says. This is a tricky hand.

... also, as for putting him on a hand, AT is just as likely as 55, as are some other wacky hands. There are 4 possible ways for him to hold AT, and only three possible ways to hold 55. But, I feel that anything that's making this sort of move at you has you beat 80%+ of the time, so it doesn't really matter if it's AT or 55, because you're folding all the same.
    • Kaitz20
      you overbet the flop and still got raised.
      I think it should be fold or if you think you´re ahead then shove is better than call.
      Folding turn is fine, since flushdraw got there and if he had AT/55, you´re still behind