[NL2-NL10] NL5 FR: Kh Qh

• pablomeza
      pablomeza
      Bronze
      Hello, this is my first time posting a hand for analysis. I am not using any stats software for NL5 and my opponent has shown some competency in previous hands.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      BB(Hero):
      $5.57
      UTG1:
      $3.58
      UTG2:
      $5.17
      MP1:
      $12.70
      MP2:
      $2.89
      MP3:
      $6.85
      CO:
      $5.00
      BU:
      $5.49
      SB:
      $3.69

Preflop: Hero is BB with K, Q.
      UTG1 raises to $0.10, 7 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, UTG1 calls $0.20.

First off, I'm pretty sure one can use min. raises to put opponent's on ranges very easily. I figure A9-, K9- and Q9- is his range, so I 3-bet him in hopes of him to fold, as seeing an A hit the flop is always bad with KQs. Instead he simply call's the raise to see the flop. I know unless an A hits the board, I will make a CBet without position, as I think I have the rest of his range dominated with KQ.

Flop: ($0.62) 5, J, A (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG1 checks.

Here I flop the nuts, which is both good and bad. Fishes are always scared of three cards of the same suit on the board, and I'm pretty sure I have taken down pots where I had nothing by simply bluffing the flush. Here though I flop the nuts and am way ahead, and since I raised pre-flop, I CHECK in hopes of implying I didn't hit anything and then raising a bet. He CHECKS as well which is bad but reinforces my 'way ahead' feeling. I also know he doesn't have a set with pocket pairs, since he would've surely bet here to protect from a flush draw.

Turn: ($0.62) J (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG1 checks.

The following card was a dead card from the ranges I put him on, so I once again CHECK in hopes of raising a bet, but this once again doesn't happen.

River: ($0.62) T (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.20, UTG1 calls $0.20.

Here I gave up hope on him ever doing anything, as he surely would be afraid of the A if he had Q9- but might call a small bet since I never showed any strength besides the 3Bet pre-flop.

Final Pot: $1.02.

Is there any way I could've possibly played this any more profittably? Was my range assigment correct? Was my initial 3Bet trying to steal correct? Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and evaluate my hand :s_grin: .
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

You should probably give an example of what hands you based your competent read off, since it's really hard for us to imagine he's any good when we see him minraising from UTG.

Preflop

You're probably be right about his minraising range if you've seen him do that before, but you should be wary the first time around imo. Even then, when you 3bet KQs unless he's really bad you risk getting 4bet by better hands and folding out all the hands you dominate, so calling might be better against a somewhat competent as that hand has a lot of value in seeing a flop. If you do 3bet out of position tho, you should probably go bigger, $0.35-$0.4.

Flop

I agree with your points that you betting there looks super strong, but for the same reason when you check very few players will just go off and bet whatever they have, so i question your check especially if you think he's somewhat competent. On the other hand if you c-bet he'll always call with Ax, probably always with a decent heart too, you might get peels you can't even understand AND you might get him to raise if he also has something good like a set or even a flushdraw he's aggressive.

On a general note, if you want to develop a solid tag style you need to be betting your strong hands in spots like that so that you can get credit when you bet air. Just something to keep in my mind for the future, tho at nl5 it mostly won't matter.

Turn

With mostly the same reasoning except now he's even less likely to take a stab there in my mind unless he has Jx, in which case he will call two bets anyway after you checked the flop. He'll also call a turn bet with any A at this point for the same reason. I'd definitely start betting there, winning a 15bb pot with the stone cold nuts always sucks.

River

Easily bet obviously. I like your idea of not making it huge since it seems he doesn't have anything, but i still think you can make it half pot and get the same results.

Nice post by the way, we appreciate you trying to make everything clear and easy to read :)

Hope it helps.