[NL2-NL10] NL5 FR: Ah Qh Bad Play?

• pablomeza
      pablomeza
      Bronze
      Notice how in this hand, my opponent has only played 3 hands out of 150+ in this table, and in all 3 he has played AQo, AKo and TT. I only know this after reviweing my last session, as I was multi-tabling in 6 tables and was not able to pay attention to any particular one.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      BB(Hero):
      $9.32
      UTG2:
      $4.08
      MP1:
      $5.00
      MP2:
      $9.91
      MP3:
      $1.88
      CO:
      $7.57
      BU:
      $4.79
      SB:
      $5.00

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, Q.
      UTG2 folds, MP1 calls $0.05, MP2 raises to $0.20, 4 folds, Hero raises to $0.60, MP1 folds, MP2 raises to $1.80, Hero calls $1.20.

Flop: ($3.67) J, 7, 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.00, MP2 raises to $4.00, Hero folds, MP2 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $5.67.

I think I played really bad here, even without knowing he had only played 3 hands and thus is super tight, simply calling a 3 bet out of position was bad. This would mean my contibet was mandatory AND big and if I didn't hit, I would have to fold to a reraise, which is exactly what happened. I feel to get the most out of this hand, I should've pushed before the flop, or simply folded to the 3bet of my own 3bet as even AK has me dominated. I'm glad I realized my errors and didn't push like I would've one month ago. Without knowing the level of tightness of a player, how bad was my preflop play?

Thanks in advance for reading and reviewing!
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

With tightness read it's a fold right away when he raises it's not worth getting involved out of position against what is probably a range of AQ+/TT+ at the very least. You could call since the pot might get 3-way with the MP1 fish, you have a hand that can make the nuts and MP2 has a range tight enough that it's probably worth cracking, just make sure you can fold a good top pair against continued aggression postflop if needed.

Without reads 3betting isn't bad, i don't hate calling either mostly for the above mentioned reasons. When he 4bets it's an easy fold, you're crushed by his range. As played postflop you can only steal that pot against AK and you're not even sure he's 4bet that preflop and then c-bet the flop with it, so i don't think the donking out is worth anything. Just c/f to cut your losses and avoid compounding mistakes.

Hope it helps.