HU SnG - How to evaluate your game?

• Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      Hello everyone,

I am a SnG HU player (:f_biggrin: ), who is learning this type of game. When searching pokerstrategy.com for articles on how to evaluate your game play and basic rules for HU SnG, I couldn't find any appropriate one.

So now I just decided to post what I've created to evaluate my HU SnG play, because in my opinion, ability to evaluate your progress is very important and essential for successful development.

So, before learning to play HU SnG, you have to know strict criteria for your evaluation and these can be:

[B]1. Adapting to your opponent.[/b]
      In my opinion (thought it might not be as good as it may sound :D ), this is a crucial factor in your SnG game. You have to be able to exploit your opponents weaknesses and avoid his strenghts.
      For example againt a super maniac, you have to be tight as hell (AK phrase) and don't get into marginal spots with him. His strength is his courage and lack of fear. His weakness - predictability and poor cards. So basically, you have just to wait for a TP nice kicker, straight or other nuts and let him push you AI. Against a weak tight player. You have be aware not to make him believing that you are super loose, so you can bluff him in pot where he has TP, but is afraid of flush or straight.
      I learnt this from a great master: "Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend." Bruce Lee
      For this part you can write yourself 4 if you adapted 0 if not.

2. Self-control (control your emotions).
      This is another crucial thing for successful game. You have to be able to resist bad beats or playing opponents, who are much better than you are. You have to avoid tilt. This is very important.
      For this part you can write yourself 4 if you were under control of your emotions. 2 if you felt some emotional pressure or was tired. 0 if you were out of control.

3. Preparation.
      If you wanna be the best, you have to work hard. And this means you have to work hard, not play poker. You have to study your game, study every situation, get answers where you did good and where you did bad. You have to learn hand samples. You have to learn opponents. You have to learn how to group your opponents to be good at begining and how to find leaks in opponents to finish successfully.
      You have to work twice the time you play if not more. You have to be prepared for everything, because HU is a game of situations. You have to play your opponent.
      For this part you can write yourself 2 if you knew what to do in every situation. -1 for every situation where you was not sure what to do.

4. Determine opponents handrange.
      This is also a crucial thing in SnG. You have to know when to move in, when to call AI and when to fold. You have to be able to assume what hand an opponent has, cos this will determine if you lose or not.
      For every hand where you called with a worse hand you get -2.

5. Betting size.
      In HU SnG every bet has to be shaped perfectly. You want to get any extra chip you can with your best hand and you don't want to give a single chip if you are beaten and have no value with calling. You have to know how much to bet on a bluff and how much to call on a draw. You have to make your bet sizes perfect.
      Every time, when you bet less than your opponent could call or bluff for too less, you get -1

So in total you can get a maximum of 10 points and no minimum :s_confused:

Of course, there a lot more criteria, which you can than add (like timing between bets, table selection, deception and so on), but these are too hard and most of them are unneccessary at the beginning.

This is what I use now and I hope it will be helpful for all of you, learning HU.

Good luck :f_cool:
  • 1 reply