First live tourney question

• 3mpi
      3mpi
      Bronze
      Question for you guys. I am playing in my first live tourney this Sunday. Its a company tournament with a $3000.00 pot. Before I found this site I really thought that I would have a good shot at making the final table, and maybe even winning. Once I started reading through the SNG strategy it became apparent very quickly that while I play fine with play money, I knew almost nothing.

Now I entered this tournament because the buy in was low and I figured, what better a way to start playing live than with a company function. I have wanted to play with real money for a while but have never had the starting capital for a proper bankroll (Student with debt). Anyways, on to my question. Since I joined the site I have been trying to play as many 45 player sng's as possible. The tournament on Sunday is 110 player. Should I stick to the exact same SNG strategy or should I variate slightly? I really want to do well but am worried that I will be able to memorize everything I need to know by then as this is proving to be a very busy week so far.

I would love to take home the pot in this tournament because it will help put off some of my school debt and I can put aside some to begin my bankroll. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • 3 replies
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      BUMP!

Hey 3mpi

I'm a complete fish when it comes to MTTs and/or live play (well, I'm a complete fish in any case, but not my point). So....

Any of you MTT / SnG monkey's out there able to help?
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi 3mpi & welcome to PokerStrategy,

I'm really not the best person to help you here as I don't really do many live tournaments, prefering instead online sng's.

Tournament play is similar to sng play however I think you need to be tighter for longer in the first few levels playing only premium hands. It really all depends on your opponents however so really difficult to advise you.

The only real piece of advice I can give is consider your $30 or whatever Buyin as lost already, that way it won't affect your game and you won't play with scared money. If that really concerns you, then maybe save the buyin and use it to start/bolster your online BR.

And of course skim read the important bits of the strategy guides. You might pick up a couple of aspects before the game.

Sorry I can't help further, but others are perhaps more qualified.

Good luck,

Bart
    • 3mpi
      3mpi
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EagleStar88

The only real piece of advice I can give is consider your $30 or whatever Buyin as lost already, that way it won't affect your game and you won't play with scared money. If that really concerns you, then maybe save the buyin and use it to start/bolster your online BR.

Bart
      Thanks, for the advice. I Actually entered this before I found this site. But thats basically the thought I had. I could care less about the buy in as its part of my company's social events. I just plan on lasting as long as possible and only playing great hands. I'll be super happy if I make the final Table but if not, its just experience gained.