Mtts with alot of ppl!

• Janusrichmond
      Janusrichmond
      Bronze
      Hello. Im going to play sunday 1/4 million for the first time in my life this sunday. The starting field is usually (as I have understood) about 28 000 players!

Is it still correct to play very tight when the blinds are low or is it a better strategy to take some more risks and try to build a big stack early?

Does people who often get far in the money in this kind of tourneys play tight in the beginning or is it worth gambling for a chance to get higher itm?

Janus
  • 8 replies
    • ladman
      ladman
      Bronze
      My view on this is to not go in with such a set preplanned mind set. But in general I play conservatively, not tightly, you still got to play your positions and cards the way they warrant. As you get closer I find this generally keeps you at around the average mark. Then as the bubble comes up get aggressive and give yourself a shout at going deep. But there is info for this in the strategy sections. Definately check it out, although they are only available to silver members
    • Janusrichmond
      Janusrichmond
      Bronze
      okey! thx
    • THeGaME23
      THeGaME23
      Bronze
      Read the articles about multi tournaments in the strategy section. Play tightly at the beginning especially in tournaments with 10 min or more blind levels. Then play more aggressive when the blinds go up and you have under 30bb.
    • nafar84
      nafar84
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ladman
      My view on this is to not go in with such a set preplanned mind set.
      +1

"Be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend."

If these words win you the first prize (as they will), don't forget to ship me some of the money!
    • Janusrichmond
      Janusrichmond
      Bronze
      ok, ty. I will read the silver articles and try to be like water!
    • Deckard33
      Deckard33
      Bronze
      I used to play very tight in the early stages and let my aggression build with the blinds, but found I was bubble boy too often.

Now I'm aggresive early and welcome races for my stack. If you don't win a few coin tosses you won't end up itm anyways. If I lose I haven't invested so much time and if I can get to 3 or 4 times my starting stack I can slow right down and play some poker.

I play a max. of 700/800 players though.
    • ladman
      ladman
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Deckard33
      I used to play very tight in the early stages and let my aggression build with the blinds, but found I was bubble boy too often.

I think thats unlucky, but think you should carry on playing that way
    • AlexanderD22
      AlexanderD22
      Bronze
      Wow, see this thread is active again today and can't wait to see how it turned out. What do I get? More feedback on how to deal with a tournament that is over lol. While the info is still relevant what I really want to know is...how did you do?