Someone explain this hand.. Damm lol

• philiveyfan
      philiveyfan
      Bronze
      Hey everyone first I would like to say I'm a new poker player won alot of tournaments in the past 2 months. I know the game and the handing rankings pretty decent now.

I was playing with my friends other day and I got confused with this hand and I thought I won. Can someone explain why I lost

Flop was 9 9 7 then 7 and 3

I had pocket 6s he had ace 3? how did he win the hand if my pairs were higher please someone explain this in details thank you.
  • 13 replies
    • cash4mebg
      cash4mebg
      Bronze
      The winning hand in poker is the best combination out of 5 cards (your cards + board cards). So the board has two pairs that are actually better than your pocket pair, so your best combination is two pairs, nines and sevens and 6 kicker, your friends best combination is two pairs, nines and sevens and A kicker.
    • Falco84
      Falco84
      Bronze
      Because you both had two pairs 9s and 7s. He had the better kicker, the better fifth card, an Ace. Your pocket pair is meaningless if there are higher two pairs on the board.

And to simplify... At the showdown in Texas Hold'em each player chosses the best five cards out of the board and the ones in his hand.

The board was 99773, the villain had A3 and you had 66.

The villain chosses the next five cards... A9977. Giving him two pairs with Ace kicker. You choose the following five cards... 99776. That's two pairs, with kicker Six. The Ace beats the Six, thus the villain takes down the pot.

I just hope that you didn't invest too much money in the pot, thinking your pocket sixes were good and playable. :f_o:
    • philiveyfan
      philiveyfan
      Bronze
      so you mean my 6s don't play because there is 2 pairs that are higher? what if he had liek 3 8? would he win that hand? can you guys give me examples of other hands that are similiar
    • philiveyfan
      philiveyfan
      Bronze
      also what if i had pocket 8th? why would they play?
    • Falco84
      Falco84
      Bronze
      If he had 83 he would have been better again because his fifth card an 8 is better than yours the 6.

And for your second question...

If you had pocket eights you would have been the winner because he would have A9977 and you 99883. Better two pairs.

And you said you won some tournaments? Tell me where to sign up. :)
    • LetchLord
      LetchLord
      Bronze
      Originally posted by philiveyfan
      won alot of tournaments in the past 2 months
      You seriously won a lot of tournaments?

Here is an article that explains the rules of HoldEm:

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/others/244/

At the bottom there is a game named "Select the strongest 5 card combination" which might be helpful...
    • kAoChAn
      kAoChAn
      Bronze
      wow...you must've been very lucky during those tourneys...

I had a situation like this before, I thought I laid down a good hand because I hit a pair which gave me two pairs...but I only had deuces and the board pairs were 5s and 7s...the winning hand had a Q for a kicker, I only had 9...so good lay down...that was my reaction though during my first month of playing poker...a friend pointed out that I shouldn't be sulking...LOL
    • ImAnAcehole9
      ImAnAcehole9
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Falco84
      If he had 83 he would have been better again because his fifth card an 8 is better than yours the 6.

And for your second question...

If you had pocket eights you would have been the winner because he would have A9977 and you 99883. Better two pairs.

And you said you won some tournaments? Tell me where to sign up. :)
      LOL yeah I want to know too........oh wait let me guess Cake Poker!!
    • AlexanderD22
      AlexanderD22
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ImAnAcehole9
      You play there too huh?
    • ImAnAcehole9
      ImAnAcehole9
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AlexanderD22
      You play there too huh?
      Not any more....Full Tilt for me and suprise suprise deposited $30 yesterday and have $250 playing micro's

Cake can eat my Cakehole.........I did win a $109 ticket on there yesterday though so I might have play that Uber Donk tourney for laughs...............AlexanderD22 if you're still playing Cake I advise you to leave.

People talk about variance etc, people talk about the site being rigged etc etc but it's not that at all.......and here's the revalation Variance/Downswings are caused buy suckouts from retarded players........CAKE IS FULL OF THEM, HENCE THE HUGE AMOUNTS OF BAD BEATS......I STILL SAY GET THE F*** OUT OF CAKE POKER!!!!
    • kaablikutt
      kaablikutt
      Bronze
      You play there too huh?
      Not any more....Full Tilt for me and suprise suprise deposited $30 yesterday and have $250 playing micro's

Cake can eat my Cakehole.........I did win a $109 ticket on there yesterday though so I might have play that Uber Donk tourney for laughs...............AlexanderD22 if you're still playing Cake I advise you to leave.

People talk about variance etc, people talk about the site being rigged etc etc but it's not that at all.......and here's the revalation Variance/Downswings are caused buy suckouts from retarded players........CAKE IS FULL OF THEM, HENCE THE HUGE AMOUNTS OF BAD BEATS......I STILL SAY GET THE F*** OUT OF CAKE POKER!!!!
      Cake is rigged...mkay

If cake is full of retarded players isn`t it supposed to be good thing?
    • ImAnAcehole9
      ImAnAcehole9
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kaablikutt
      You play there too huh?

Cake is rigged...mkay

If cake is full of retarded players isn`t it supposed to be good thing?
      Didn't say Cake was rigged, but go play with the retards. To a degree I agree that playing with a retard or two is good but when playing a retard fest ring game when no one folds 2 outers you are dodging a lot of "Variance" for example:

You have AA and raise 4 X the blind and called by 7 players, how good are your aces looking? The flop is 2c 9s 6d, pretty safe? checked to you and you lead out 3/4 of the pot 5 players call and CO moves all in, you have pot odds to call your remaining $5 so you do along with everyone else. How are your Aces looking?

The same could be said for any hand, the point is there is not 1 or 2 calling stations they are all calling stations, it's a donkfest and is laughable. Some people here will say but but but but but..........BUT this is my opinion and my experience playing on Cake.....Are you or anyone else out there going to change my opinion of that no, will you ignore my opinion on it maybe and good luck to you but you can never say it's rubbish. You said:

[/quote]If cake is full of retarded players isn`t it supposed to be good thing?[/quote]I say GOOD LUCK TO YOU! and ENJOY if anything it will build up your immunity to bad beats.
    • Bronscapade
      Bronscapade
      Bronze
      There are more then enough fish on other sites, and cakes software makes me tilt : :f_cry: :s_cry: