CO ($14)
      BTN ($38.90)
      SB ($57.25)
      BB ($9.25)

Pre-Flop: ($0.75, 7 players) Hero is MP Q: Q:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $2, 1 fold, BTN calls $2, 2 folds

Flop: :2c: :4c: K: ($4.75, 2 players)
      Hero bets $3, BTN raises to $6, Hero folds

Not enough hands on him to make any conclusions postflop. He does limp/call a lot preflop, ~60% so far.
  • 5 replies
    • noclaninator
      noclaninator
      Bronze
      As played you should go broke on this flop. You are calling $3.50 to win about $18. You need about 15% equity to call here. Since you are not always up against a king you have this and therefore must call. Sometimes he has pocket 7's. Sometimes he has QJ of clubs. Sometimes he has 53 offsuit. Sometimes he has 42 offsuit where any K any Q or running pair wins for you.

That said, you are getting to a higher limit. 4BB is too much to be betting. Basic SSS is not very good at this limit. I would recommend 2.5-3bb preflop every time. If you do this then you don't accidentally commit yourself as much. Still, if they are CALLING your raises preflop, I would instantly put them on being bad players and thus capable of having "not top pair" about a third of the time on a flop like this and I'm still going broke! Even with better raise sizing you go broke here. Suppose:

Hero raises to 1.30, BTN calls 1.30, 2 folds

Flop: 2c 4c Kd (3.35, 2 players)

Hero bets $2, BTN raises to $4

Here you have to call $5.20 to win that same $18. I still call. If you put him on a king or a flush draw you have about 40% equity and still get the chips in.

Make sure you watch the opponents. Someone nit could try slowplaying aces or kings preflop to try to get your contibet as well. Make sure queens get folded on the flop to those guys :)
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      I also think you should bet/call here considering your remaining stack:potsize and that he could be raising you with PPs and FDs.

But I think raising to 4bb is still fine for NL50, but in NL100 you should certainly think of adapting your raising sizes.
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hey elhh82,

with so small stack you might even consider pushing flop directly, because it's almost impossible to play bet/fold on such a flop and a push isn't that much of an overbet.

As played, I'm calling, according to your reads he's a bad player and such can call you with FD, OESD and GS as well as with a Kx and against such complete range you definitely have the needed equity. However, I would note down the result, to know how he plays such boards.

Oh, and btw, I don't mind 4bb raises, I played 4bb raises on NL100 very profitably, the more loose players there are at the table the more you want them to invest money preflop with worse hands. The problem shows up only when you face mostly players who will 3bet you or fold, against such you must adapt and start raising less and loose up.

Regards,
      burek2000
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      So the reason for us to switch to a smaller raise size is when we start having more aggressive opponents who don't make loose calls?

I guess its because against this type of opponents, a 3BB raise has the same FE as a 4BB one right?

I'm raising 3BB at CO and BU right now, just to steal cheaper.
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Originally posted by elhh82
      So the reason for us to switch to a smaller raise size is when we start having more aggressive opponents who don't make loose calls?

I guess its because against this type of opponents, a 3BB raise has the same FE as a 4BB one right?

I'm raising 3BB at CO and BU right now, just to steal cheaper.
      That's more or less it.

It's particularly true when you play against other shorties, because they will either push or fold against you and you make your folds cheaper when you raise less.