Button limpers, what's it all about?

• Cloudas
      Cloudas
      Bronze
      Hey there,

I'm currently playing nl25 SSS and i got to see people limping on the button more than often when its folded round to them, so far i haven't come up with any reasonable ideas how to treat em, what hands they could be holding, whatever idea i could have on what they're doing would be helpful.

Tried raising it up to take the blind, but they were into calling almost every time.
      Check for freeplay and take it from there depending on the flop check/fold or try to buy it? Slight problem there, more than a gamble to try buying the pot out of position, so unless you hit real good i see check/folding way to go?

I know it's very stats dependant, but maybe there are some general ideas about it.

Thank you for sharing, if any do :)
  • 7 replies
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      Almost always a limp on the btn is a weak holding, Bad players do it and yes they limp/call alot, any half decent looking hand I am raising them, if they call I look to outplay them post flop
    • raun
      raun
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lennonac
      Almost always a limp on the btn is a weak holding, Bad players do it and yes they limp/call alot, any half decent looking hand I am raising them, if they call I look to outplay them post flop
      it just sucks to be playing OOP. i lack postflop skills for these kinds of situations.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      In situations like this you need to remember that people do not play poker like you play poker. This is a fundamental rule you need to always remember. It is especially true when you are talking about fish, but it can also be true even if you are comparing your play to another ps.com member.

It seems likely that players who open-limp on the button are not positionally aware at all. They do not have enough knowledge of poker to understand that it is a mistake. They might also feel that once they limp they have a huge investment in the pot and so they call your raise.

It's really hard to steal a pot from a calling station. You are going to need to have the best hand at the showdown to beat these kinds of players.
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      i open limp from the button sometimes to create action and to be unreadable. one of dan harringtons rules of poker the deception principle, "never do anything all of the time".
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Ishindar
      i open limp from the button sometimes to create action and to be unreadable. one of dan harringtons rules of poker the deception principle, "never do anything all of the time".
      Oddly enough I pot it from the button with ATC to do the exact same thing. :D
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      As we see here their are those tricky players, but if the most of the villans play is fishy then I would think it is weak or AA KK as fish dont like to raise these hands
      :f_biggrin:
    • excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Silver
      it is a fishy move imo, i like to put a lot of pressure to them with top 25% of hands, which is really loose for shortstacking

but you should be aware of regulars.

this is what they are thinking:

either they have AA and they want to slowplay it (fishes usually minraise)

or they are thinking i dont have much but im on the button yeayyyy

and then they realise they dont know how to play in position