$2,00
      MP3:
      $3,71
      CO:
      $0,60
      BU:
      $4,32

0,01/0,02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with 8:club: , 8:spade:
      Hero calls $0,02, MP1 raises to $0,09, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0,09, 4 folds, Hero calls $0,07.

Flop: ($0,30) 4:diamond: , T:diamond: , T:spade: (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP1 bets $0,06, MP3 calls $0,06, Hero folds.

Turn: ($0,42) 4:club: (2 players)
      MP1 checks, MP3 checks.

River: ($0,42) 9:diamond: (2 players)
      MP1 checks, MP3 checks.

Final Pot: $0,42

Results follow (highlight to see):
      MP3 shows two pairs, tens and fours (As Qd)
      MP1 shows two pairs, tens and fours (Kh Qh)

MP3 wins with two pairs, tens and fours (As Qd)

Preflop: I've called from early position because there are just 2 shortstacks at the table. Is that OK or should I fold anyway according to SHC?
      Flop: I've folded best hand here. Is it still OK to fold in this situation or do I have any reason to play different that I don't see?

BTW is this NL2 because of 100BB, or NL4 because of table max?
  • 3 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Those are nl2 deep tables.

I'm not sure i understand your reasoning for your preflop player depending on the shortstacked players. Those are the very players you have the lowest implied odds against and frankly they're usually so bad that playing hands like 88 with them postflop will lead you make mistakes on flops with overcards.

Personally i'd open raise 88 8-handed no matter who's behind me, it's a fine hand to play deepstacked against the fish, you'll get a lot of money out of their top pairs when you spike a set.

As played on the flop we get a weak c-bet and an even weaker call, i think there is a decent chance your hand is still best on such a dry flop so i'd raise it to around $0.3 and expect MP3 to go away or come along with a flushdraw, and MP1 to plain fold or to pull a suckbet/reraise line with some bigger overpair, so i'm folding in that case. You could simply call the flop, but 88 are really vulnerable to taking it down right now while getting value from some draws/overcards hands seems better.

Hope it helps.
    • Oly0909
      Oly0909
      Silver
      As I understood I could practicly play 88 and 99 like TT or JJ preflop, but my question was about small pocket pairs like let's say 55, from early position. My point was that there are just 2 shortstacks at the table, so is it OK to call, not because of them, but because there are not many of them, or I should fold anyway as SHC sais?
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

It's probably safer to fold out 66- from early position until you feel comfortable playing them, as it depends a lot on how aggressive the shortstackers are and how loose the rest of the table is playing.

The reason SHC says to fold them is because you'll get to see a lot of flops with overcards out of position and it's hard to play correctly, the shortstacks only make this problem worse by being committed very fast by simply shoving those flops on you, leaving you with no idea whether you're good or not.

Hope it helps.