Not a massive downswing, but getting concerned...

• Reptile16
      Reptile16
      Bronze
      Evening all.

I began with SC @$50 and managed to get up as far as $92 (including a downswing to $38 and adding a $50 Take Two bonus). I'm now at about $80, experiencing the biggest single downswing so far.

I play SSS and was considering moving up a limit but I'm guessing that isn't such a hot idea now. Is the answer here to re-read the SSS and go back to basics, or something else?
  • 8 replies
    • inf4my
      inf4my
      Bronze
      You haven't provided enough info for us to comment on.

Do you use any tracking software?

How many hands have you played in total?

How many hands has the downswing lasted?

How many buy-ins have you lost and what limit is it?
    • Reptile16
      Reptile16
      Bronze
      Oh, sorry.

No, I don't use tracking software so I have no idea how many hands I've played in total or how many the downswing spans, but it has to be less than 200. I'm playing micro limits on FTP (0.02/0.05, NL). As I'm following SSS, this means I've bought in [now I'm at $77] sixteen times and lost the entire stack on each occasion.

IIRC three of these were calls outside the SSS (expanding the basic calls for a hand I 'fancy') but the remainder were squarely in the starting hand chart and following the strategy.
    • inf4my
      inf4my
      Bronze
      How many days, how many hours per day, and how many tables at a time...
    • Reptile16
      Reptile16
      Bronze
      I tend to play only a few hours a day and this downswing has been quite sharp in those terms, in that it has taken only four days.

I play two tables at a time, only so I can tile them and see what's happening. I've been doing things that way for a few months now.
    • inf4my
      inf4my
      Bronze
      That's about 800 hands then, at the most.

Downswings can last for months, sometimes for 50,000 hands in a row.

I play 700 hands per hour, can you imagine if I got all nervous after losing for one hour? Wouldn't make much sense.

This graph is just from tonight's session:

I lost 4 buy-ins right at the end after doing well for 1400 hands.

It sucks, but I know it wasn't me, it was just bad luck.

Unbelievable bad luck can hit you in poker at any time. You have to play hundreds of thousands of hands before you can start to worry about downswings.
    • inf4my
      inf4my
      Bronze
      LOL, here is an update from tonight's session. Perfect way to illustrate what I was talking about...

After getting brutalized by bad beats for 2 hours, I suddenly went on a massive heater to cap off the session.

Crappy session overall, but hopefully you can see just how quickly things can turn around in this game.

Keep learning, have patience, and play more hands :)

GL
    • Reptile16
      Reptile16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by inf4my
      Keep learning, have patience, and play more hands :)
      Sage advice indeed, thanks.
    • ladman
      ladman
      Bronze
      very goood advice,