[NL2-NL10] nl5fr qj

• h50n
      did i do anything wrong with this play, i was just thinking it was tough luck, but i would like to get a second opinion

Known players:

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with J:heart: , Q:spade:
      UTG2 calls $0.05, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.05, BU calls $0.05, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.22) Q:heart: , 8:diamond: , Q:club: (4 players)
      BB checks, UTG2 checks, Hero bets $0.14, BU calls $0.14, BB folds, UTG2 calls $0.14.

Turn: ($0.64) 2:heart: (3 players)
      UTG2 bets $0.25, Hero raises to $0.75, BU folds, UTG2 raises to $3.05, Hero raises to $4.84 (All-In), UTG2 calls $1.79.

River: ($10.32) 7:club: (2 players)

Final Pot: $10.32

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows three of a kind, queens (Jh Qs)
      UTG2 shows three of a kind, queens (Qd Kc)

UTG2 wins with three of a kind, queens (Qd Kc)
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

Over-calling preflop is reasonable but i'd usually just raise it up, UTG2 is a fish who might be limp/folding or limp/calling just to fold to a c-bet on most flops and QJ is a decent hand that can make good top pairs easy to valuebet against bad players. BU is also a loose passive fish who will most likely tag along, tho him having position on you might complicate things if he's not the type to fold easily postflop. Still, i think it's worth a raise to get into a bigger pot with initiative against bad players.

Nothing you can do postflop, he might show up with a worse Qx and sometimes some slowplayed overpairs, too bad he actually had you outkicked.

Hope it helps.