thepowerplay's blog

• thepowerplay
      thepowerplay
      Bronze
      Well I guess I'm the noob around here, but hopefully I'll be up to speed and learning/competing with the rest of you in no time. I've actually cashed out the few bucks I've had on a few sites, and am looking to start from scratch here via Poker Strategy. I've got accounts at most of the sites PS is affiliated with already, so I'm going to try out Cake Poker for my initial bankroll run. Anybody got any experience with Cake? I'd like to hear a few opinions. There was about 6000 online when I logged in; significantly less than a site like Stars or Tilt, but hopefully there will be enough traffic and games going to clear my bonus.

No poker for me this weekend, though. I still have to wait until my $50 gets deposited, but the occasional poker break is a good thing. Good for the mind! So I occupied myself the whole weekend with my family looking for a dog to adopt. We found a really cool beagle named Bingo (how cool is that?), and we're going to put in our application this week to take him home.

Tonight I watched a little hockey. Vancouver Canada is my hometown, so the Canucks are my favourite team. Tonight Roberto Luongo broke the team record for most shutouts. Best goalie in the world! Any hockey fans out there? You're welcome to post here or on my page if you got any favourite teams or players.

Hope to get playing some poker this week!
  • 7 replies
    • PsychoFin
      PsychoFin
      Bronze
      Hey there! Welcome to PokerStrategy!

I was also crazy anxious to get my starting capital, but you will have it soon enough! Can't tell you much about Cake, unfortunately.

Oh, what are you going to play? Cash games or SNGs or..?

I'm a huge hockey fan, being a Fin and all. I've always enjoyed watching NHL for the past years, not necessarily rooting for specific teams.

Cheers,
      Fin
    • ImAnAcehole9
      ImAnAcehole9
      Bronze
      Originally posted by thepowerplay
      Anybody got any experience with Cake? I'd like to hear a few opinions. There was about 6000 online when I logged in; significantly less than a site like Stars or Tilt, but hopefully there will be enough traffic and games going to clear my bonus.

Hope to get playing some poker this week!
      Cake is terrible!! it's not the software but the players are massive retards! Get ready for the mosr laughable few hours/days of your life.

Imagine a mentally inbred retard having children with his mentally retarded sister and the children of that um "relationship" end up playing on Cake Poker.

Fore example here's 1 hand for you (there's about 800 more):

I raise on the button with pocket 4's using the 4 X blind method + 1 BB for every limper so a total of $1.25. Naturally I'm looking for folds and to take the pot then and there but get called by Middle Position and the original limper in late position folds. The flop brings 2 5 5, Middle Position leads out for $2, I reraise all in for $13.25 and Middle Position calls the extra $11.25 and rolls over K 4 off (lmfao :f_o: ). I literally burst out laughing even when the stupid Motherfucker hit a K on the river to bust me.

I had plenty of these sorts of calls on Cake and it just became standard, people on here will reply with arrrrgh it's just variance etc etc but I'm sorry it's not variance it's a donkfest that never ends. As soon as 1 donk leaves another 2 donks comes along.

My advice is when you go broke using the starting capital, don't be disheartened go to Full Tilt/Pokerstars etc. They have heaps more rooms to play the SSS and BSS on.

GOOD LUCK!! lol I really mean that!
    • thepowerplay
      thepowerplay
      Bronze
      Ha ha.... Cake sounds perfect then! I don't mind bad players in the least, even if they donk out on me. Sites like that are usually pretty good over the long run to build some money at. I did get my starting bankroll today, and had a brief session playing limit hold 'em. Unfortunately I was down at the end. Limit definitely isn't my favourite, but I thought I would give it a try, and see how it goes. If I can't get any momentum at limit, I'll move over to no limit SNG's, which I do alright at... especially at the low limits. Thanks for the luck, though... I'll take it!

And for PsychoFin... that's excellent that you are a hockey fan. Finland is widely respected here in Canada for having excellent hockey players. I think the Ruutu brothers are from Finland. Jarko Ruutu was one of my favourite players to watch. He is such a great agitator. He could just smirk at the other team and put them on tilt so to speak. Lots of fun to watch.

Thanks for posting guys... looking forward to exchanging more with you soon.

:spade:
    • thepowerplay
      thepowerplay
      Bronze
      I've got a little bit of time before taking my kid out for Halloween, so I'm catching up on my poker stuff. I've had a bit of opportunity to grind out on Cake Poker this week. I thought the software was pretty good overall, and my only complaint is the traffic can be low at times. I've been able to play something at whatever time I'm in, so it's a pretty minor complaint at that.

I've been trying out some of the basic strategies in fixed limit, no limit, and sng's and haven't really done too well at any of them so far. Limit, I'm just not great at, so I'm making tons of small mistakes. The no limit systems here are a bit different than how I typically play, so I'm getting a little bit stuck where I would make a certain play and the PS strategy recommends another. I'm keeping an open mind, though, and I see lots of players here are obviously doing pretty good. I'm hoping also to be one of those players too. I can't see myself clearing the $100 bonus at the rate I'm playing though. I can play about an hour a day, and I can already see that unless something dramatic happens, I'm not going to get enough points to nail it. Maybe $10 or $20 extra, but not the whole thing. Too bad :(

I'm kind of an old rock guy, and back in the 90's I used to really like a lot of the Seattle grunge bands that were around. One of the bigger ones were Alice in Chains, who were pretty good. When their singer died, I had already lost most interest in them, and I surely thought that was the end of the road for them. Layne Stayley, their vocalist, just seemed to me to be too critical a part of their sound. Recently I saw a new album of theirs on my music subscription service and downloaded it, and was totally impressed. I don't know who their new singer is, but he sounds great and is a superb fit with the band. A lot of the vocals are sung in harmony with guitarist Jerry Cantrell, and now of course it seems obvious that has always been a cornerstone of their style. The new stuff sounds very much like classic AIC, but they sound on a few tracks like they swallowed a Sabbath pill. Never a bad thing IMO. If you like heavy rock, check it out! Good album!

Finally we got our dog Bingo today. Cool dog. Happy family.
    • thepowerplay
      thepowerplay
      Bronze
      Play over the last week has been pretty inconsistent in terms of frequency, but I did get some good play time in today. I've gone back to SNGs after fooling around with cash games. I hate to say it, but I just find cash games kind of boring. I know lots of pro's (and aspiring) pros swear that cash games are way more of a reliable money stream if you're a winning player, but I just feel like a hamster running the wheel. SNG's and MTT's have a certain rhythm and finality about them that makes it a lot more exciting. I like scoring cash in them, but I love getting a win over someone too... particularly if the match was good or there were volatile players.

I've also been working through Negreanu's Power Hold Em for tourney play. Out of the few poker books I've read, I've really been able to find a style that feels comfortable for me and gets OK results. I certainly don't small ball like Daniel Negreanu (I bet way bigger than he does), but I did open my game up a little bit from a strict TA style that I first learned on. I find the strategy articles here on Poker Strategy to be pretty good, but the basic articles feel a bit stiff for me after having played a bit more open for a while.

Although I didn't play any poker this weekend, I did watch lots of sports... including NHL Hockey CFL Football, and UFC. I also spent time juicing apples with a hundred year old juice press on a heritage farm in the Gulf Islands here in the West Coast of Canada. If you haven't heard of the Gulf Islands, they are the fucking Shangri La of Western Canada... beautiful scenery, great food, and a real laid back vibe about the whole place. Equal parts Rich and Famous, Woodstock Hippie, and Salty Fisherman and you kind of get the idea.
    • thepowerplay
      thepowerplay
      Bronze
      Holy! I certainly haven't been keeping my blog up, but figured I'd do a little update on how things are going.

I'm still cruising through Cake Poker on my original $50, and haven't cleared any of the bonus yet. I've been playing mostly SNG's, and a bit of cash games and MTT's. I've been a small winner at cash, a total loser at MTT, and have just been running wildly good at the SNG's. I know I'm just running hot right now, so don't think I'm saying I'm all that at SNG's... I know I'm not.

However, here is my SNG stats from Sharkscope as of today:

Cake Poker
      username: thepowerplay

games played: 37
      average profit: $6
      average stake: $5
      average ROI: 56%
      total profit: $222

Ha ha... I know 37 games is nothing, and those numbers are going to come back down to earth for sure, but in the meantime it's just cool to have some crazy big ROI to look at. I'd love to have half that over the long term. The play at Cake seems to be super soft, though... I can't imagine not having positive results there at the stake I'm playing (currently $10 sng's).

I don't play like some of the real sharks, though. I'm just starting to multitable 2 tables at once, but I typically do only one at a time... maybe one game a day. Hardly a grinder. :s_cool:

Anyways... I'm gearing up for the Olympics here in Vancouver! We live with 5 minutes of GM Place, which will be the Olympic Hockey venue. People are going fucking hockey crazy here right now, and we're totally geared up to win the gold. Probably won't be playing poker during that! If anyone's watching some hockey... put a post in my blog and we can do some trash talking during the Olympics!

:D
    • thepowerplay
      thepowerplay
      Bronze
      Oh my goodness it's been forever since I've been on here. It's not for lack of funds that's for sure... I had built my Cake account up to over $250 a while back, but my old computer just would not run Cake software. Pretty much I've been too broke/cheap to buy a computer, and my old computer (strangely enough) ran poker software from other sites, although somewhat slowly. So I've been playing over at Party for the last year and a bit. Totally frustrating though... as my only pokerstrategy rakeback deal is through Cake, and most of my roll is there too.

The good news is I finally got myself a new laptop, and after getting it all updated and running smooth, I got myself back here on pokerstrategy and playing some FLH on Cake. Basically I've lost all my strategy points, so I've got to start the upward climb again, but that's ok. Any other Poker Strategy people who are playing Fixed Limit Hold Em... feel free to say hello!