noob and having a hard time playing at low limits

• kAoChAn
      kAoChAn
      Bronze
      (mods, I have a feeling this topic shouldn't be here but I'm a beginner too...just in case, please move the topic if needed, thanks!)

I'm having trouble winning at the lower tables...I think it's a bankroll management thing, but I'm kind of used to having at least a thousand chips in play (I realized I didn't know how to bet with such a limited amount, I'm used to playing in tourneys) but I know it's not advisable to join any table higher than NL2 (or whatever you call it...the BB is .02) given that my BR is just $50 (now $46, I'm losing...waaah T_T)
      I usually buy in for a dollar and I think I've been making either bad calls or bad lay downs (for ex. somebody bets for .10 pre-flop pot is .12, I realize it's a lot to consider when I only have a small pair, say 4's) it's so frustrating...
      I'm thinking of sticking to my comfort zone for a while (SNGs and tourneys) hoping to cash out big but shouldn't I start learning how to play out of my comfort zone?
      I'm still browsing through the NLHE topics but I think my bigger problem is I always end up in a table where there are better players who slow play a lot so I end up going all in for nothing. I don't know how to read slow players yet...I almost always think they're just bullying me...

any advice? :)
  • 7 replies
    • inf4my
      inf4my
      Bronze
      NL2 is a complete joke. If you are losing it's probably just bad luck.

The players at that limit have no idea what they're doing. They basically telegraph their cards to you.

A lot of people will tell you to play tight and not bluff, but that's foolish IMO.

Sometimes I go back to NL2 just for fun and I always laugh at how often these people fold their hands.

Buy in for $2 instead of $1. Follow the starting hands chart, but modify it so that if there was no raise in front of you, raise with ANY playable hand. This includes 22+, 67+, J9+

If you're in late position, CO or Button, and there is no raise in front of you, then raise 4xBB with ANY cards.

C-Bet every single flop, no matter what it looks like and who the opponent is. Around 2/3rd of the pot size.

This may sound too aggressive, but these players are the ultimate definition of "fit or fold". They have no idea what C-betting is, or blind stealing, or floating, or any concepts of NLHE. They will re-raise when they have big hands, and fold when they don't, end of story.

Sometimes they will slow-play you, but honestly this is very rare and not something to be concerned with.

At that limit, you can make so much money from non-showdown pots, that you don't even need to win any showdowns.
    • THeGaME23
      THeGaME23
      Bronze
      Yeah NL2 is basically luck, if your not comfortable playing NL10 I would say play NL5 and play SSS exactly how Pokerstrategy articles say you should. Print off the Starting Hands chart and follow it, you should do fine as long as you dont break any rules.
    • kAoChAn
      kAoChAn
      Bronze
      @inf4my
      thanks! that was enlightening...I guess I'm giving my opponents too much credit...I was playing tight because it was my first time to play in those tables (I just received the bonus yesterday...now I've confirmed it was a bad idea, I'm usually an agressive player, sort of...:D ) I'll change my approach this time...

@THeGaME23
      thanks too...I'll try NL5 first and see what happens :)
    • monkeydrool
      monkeydrool
      Bronze
      I have also had problems playing SSS at the .01/.02 tables until i found out that i bought in for too much. If you decide to play according the starting hand chart that pokerstrategy provides you with it is of great importance that you buy in for the required 20 BBs. I used to buy myself into these tables for 80 cents and it took me a long while to find out that this would give me too much to play SSS profitably. When i moved up one level to .02/.05 i had way less problems getting it in preflop and i started winning while i too often made marginal profits with monster hand one limit lower. Thus my advise would be to move up one limit since you have the required bankroll for that according to bankrollmanagement
    • slowshow
      slowshow
      Bronze
      Guys already told cool things, however i will tell You some stuff as beginner myself(i would say this to myself months ago):

1) You must play at least 700 hands average a day to make any sense in SSS, so key is multitabling sesions @ ~1000 hands. Otherwise Ya will not get enogh action SO -> You will start to play too loose and/or tilt will emerge;
      2) Learning is one thing, discipline and skill to receive info fast enough is another stuff;
      3) Playing poker seems easy and fun only in WSOP TV, be prepaired for not so nice stuff;

For example: just finished today's sesion, 3 times my AA,KK, JJ did not get any action, third time was suckout by flush. And today's last hand was mega cool:

I hold KK, i rise, 2 bigstack fishes(vpip >50) go all-in, i go all-in too. SSSers dream! :f_love:

One of them had J9o, second one QTs. Flop was like 257 rainbow. River and turn gave Q + T. :f_p:

Am i angry? Nooo, im in + today anyways. I just play multitable, so such stuff i forget :f_biggrin: You cant run away far from Allin EV line

You must learn to multitable, to do that You:
      1) grind->review->grind->review till You have discipline to play nice beginners SSS;
      2) add slowly tables and get some HUD;
      3) be prepaired for downswings.

GL :f_cool:

And, stick to BRM !!!
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Originally posted by slowshow
      Guys already told cool things, however i will tell You some stuff as beginner myself(i would say this to myself months ago):

1) You must play at least 700 hands average a day to make any sense in SSS, so key is multitabling sesions @ ~1000 hands. Otherwise Ya will not get enogh action SO -> You will start to play too loose and/or tilt will emerge;
      2) Learning is one thing, discipline and skill to receive info fast enough is another stuff;
      3) Playing poker seems easy and fun only in WSOP TV, be prepaired for not so nice stuff;

For example: just finished today's sesion, 3 times my AA,KK, JJ did not get any action, third time was suckout by flush. And today's last hand was mega cool:

I hold KK, i rise, 2 bigstack fishes(vpip >50) go all-in, i go all-in too. SSSers dream! :f_love:

One of them had J9o, second one QTs. Flop was like 257 rainbow. River and turn gave Q + T. :f_p:

Am i angry? Nooo, im in + today anyways. I just play multitable, so such stuff i forget :f_biggrin: You cant run away far from Allin EV line

You must learn to multitable, to do that You:
      1) grind->review->grind->review till You have discipline to play nice beginners SSS;
      2) add slowly tables and get some HUD;
      3) be prepaired for downswings.

GL :f_cool:

And, stick to BRM !!!
      Great advice! I think I've got it all except #3. I think I'm in my first downswing and it's destroying my confidence.
    • kAoChAn
      kAoChAn
      Bronze
      @monkeydrool
      thanks! I think though that I'm not a short stack player...I have to buy in max...I did what inf4my said and I felt better with my bets (finally I'm picking up!)

@slowshow
      thanks! I'm starting the multi-tabling thing ^_~ I think I kinda get it but I've a feeling the other players think I'm slow playing when in fact I didn't see my turn as I've been concentrating on another table...LOL maybe I'll concentrate on just two tables at a time for now...

@jonnyquest
      I know how it feels, man...I think finding motivation to keep on playing is hard after a bad beat...I hope we all do well...

Good luck on your games guys!