How much 'internet-cap" does poker use?

• monkey0nfire
      monkey0nfire
      Bronze
      Hey guys ( and those gals out there ... somewhere! )

Just a question about how much do u think a poker platform uses in MB(or KB) say per hour.. this is just because im moving into an 8-person flat nxt year and wondering what sorta internet plan we shld get if..say im playing ~1k hands per day.

This year wasnt a problem as Ive "borrowed" the neighbours net without them knowing :f_cool: (ie: they were drinking 1 nite so I got 1 of the drunk 1's to tell me their password :f_biggrin: )

But nxt year im living in a huge house out out of town, so no neighbours to steal wireless off !!!

i guess this question is directed at kiwi players here, as out internet services are seriously behind the rest of the world.. we dont talk techincal mumbo-jumbo all the way down this end of the world!!

Cheers
  • 11 replies
    • WildBeans
      WildBeans
      Bronze
      It doesn't use that much at all. I can't remember exactly, but in south africa we have the same issues and poker barely touches the cap, compared to youtube videos (for example)..
    • Ejeckt
      Ejeckt
      Bronze
      Yeah I'm from SA too and most internet has a pretty low cap with it. I was curious, so I tracked it with Netlimiter.

PartyPoker 4 tables FLSH = (average) 4.2MB p/h download, 0.41MB p/h upload
      PokerStars 4 tables LFSH = (average) 2.1MB p/h download, 0.26MB p/h upload

Averages based on my calculation of 5 sample hours for each. I didn't feel like doing more calculations :P

Don't know if other variants would use more, but I don't suspect so. FLSH hands go by pretty quickly.

Edit: Oh, if you're curious about datamining, PartyPoker 18tables once peaked at 114MB p/h. Now don't ask me how that works... I know the math doesn't add up :P
    • monkey0nfire
      monkey0nfire
      Bronze
      i 9-table BSS on stars so i guess thatd be ~8MB/hr just coz of xtra players and tables etc..

But im shocked at the datamining at 114MB/hr!!! thats huge tbh..so if i ran elephant in the bkground id get a total somehwere near that??? sheesh..dont think NZ internet plans would be sufficient especially living with 7 other ppl!!

But thanks for the stats/info. greatly appreciated :f_cool:
    • Essian
      Essian
      Bronze
      Why not just get the Telecom big time plan? Its unlimited and only $60 a month if you already have landline with telecom.
    • vladnz
      vladnz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Essian
      Why not just get the Telecom big time plan? Its unlimited and only $60 a month if you already have landline with telecom.
      yah :s_cool: :s_cool:
    • monkey0nfire
      monkey0nfire
      Bronze
      cool, thanks for the headsup on things, ill look into it!
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      What is the speed on that?

I get 4Mbits for ~$30 a month. And I don't need any landline stuff..
    • ChoChikun
      ChoChikun
      Bronze
      Last month I make with FullTilt 575 MB.
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kimber88

NZD 60 ~= USD 30 to 45 (exchange rate dependant).

As for speed.. it depends on which carrier pigeon you get to carry the data. Cyril is the fastest one but because of that he's often pretty tired. I usually use either Big Ted or Mr Tweet.

I really miss Donald Pigeon. Tragic jet engine incident. Very ugly.. lead the news bulletins for four days straight.
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Waiboy

As for speed.. it depends on which carrier pigeon you get to carry the data. Cyril is the fastest one but because of that he's often pretty tired. I usually use either Big Ted or Mr Tweet.

I really miss Donald Pigeon. Tragic jet engine incident. Very ugly.. lead the news bulletins for four days straight.
      I read your reply and IMMD.

for reference: IMMD
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Waiboy

I read your reply and IMMD.

for reference: IMMD
      Nice. :f_cool:

It's funny 'cause it's true. :f_cry: