PT3 worth the $?

• jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Hi everyone.

Just wondering if it's worth the cost for someone like me. I play about 3-5 sessions a week for 2-4 hours per session. I'm playing NL25 SSS @ Full Tilt. So far there doesn't seem to be many regulars at this or lower limits. At what limits will the stats and HUD be benificial? I'm running the PT3 trial currently and was using Elephant before it stopped working for me. So far I think Elephant was just as good for reviewing my own play and fixing leaks so if I don't need a HUD I'll stick with Elephant. Will the stats and HUD be more valuable to me after I switch to BSS?

Cheers
  • 24 replies
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Hey jonnyquest,

I'm a reg on NL25 and its definitely a good thing to have a HUD.
      It might not look like there is many regs but you'll be happy when say someraises UTG with stats of 7/5 and you can easily fold your AJo :)

Regards,

Kyle.
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      So how many hands would you want to play with a player before their stats were steady enough that you would make a decision based on stats? So far I usually only have about 30-40 hands max on any given player, this doesn't seem like much. I guess playing SSS I move tables alot. I also move tables when alot of other short stacks join the table. Is it easier to get stats on players playing BSS?

Thanks
    • NiekamNeidomu
      NiekamNeidomu
      Bronze
      E L E P H A N T F O R B E G G I N E R S I S O K ?
    • Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      I find Elephant quite ok. I had trial PT3 that expired and I liked it more than Elephant, but for the money I paid for Elephant I think it's very good. :)
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jonnyquest
      So how many hands would you want to play with a player before their stats were steady enough that you would make a decision based on stats?
      VP$IP and PFR converge very fast. You can start to rely on them very quickly. The rest do take a while to converge but you will get hands on regulars very quick and those are the guys you want to watch out for the most when you are playing SSS.

It's also important to remember that people are keeping stats on you. In that sense its worth knowing that someone else has played 100+ hands with you and probably knows you are playing a reasonable SSS game.

I personally wouldn't risk even $1 of my bankroll without a HUD.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jonnyquest
      So how many hands would you want to play with a player before their stats were steady enough that you would make a decision based on stats? So far I usually only have about 30-40 hands max on any given player, this doesn't seem like much. I guess playing SSS I move tables alot. I also move tables when alot of other short stacks join the table. Is it easier to get stats on players playing BSS?

Thanks
      hey jonnyquest,

IMO something like 100 hands is a good indication of how a player plays.
      But, 30-40 is ok as well I guess.

I don't know if its easier to get stats on opponents being a BSS players but I definitely think you get more on a on certain regs. Like you said, SSS you move tables a lot and only get maybe 5-20 hands but I don't think it would change the amount of of hands you would get on regs.

Regards,

Kyle.
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Hi Kyle

thanks for the info. I tried playing isn't some stats and it definitely kept me out of trouble a few times. It also allowed me to confidently steal blinds and even re-steal twice. Overall I think this will definitely imrove my profits and reduce losses. Now that I'm playing a little more frequently I'm running into more regulars. This makes it easier because I come in with a TAG table image. I'm assuming all the regulars that I have stats on have stats on me as well. Is this a safe assumption?

Thanks
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Hey jonnyquest,

I think your on the right track with your thoughts. :)
      These days some players don't even feel safe playing with a HUD/stats, so this information will plug a load of leaks.

Also there would be regs out there (not many imo) that wouldn't use a tracking program. They are just sharks. lol.
      But, take each table as it comes and adjust your image/game to what the table allows you to change it to.

Regards,

Kyle.
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      Remember PT3 or HEM is more than just a hud, if you are using it just as a hud then you are using like 1/10th of its capability.
      You can seek out anyleak you may have with all the filters.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lennonac
      Remember PT3 or HEM is more than just a hud, if you are using it just as a hud then you are using like 1/10th of its capability.
      +1
      I was watching soy go through his HEM and there is so many tools to fix your game.
      so back to is PT3/HEM/PS ELEPHANT worth the $.......YES!!!! :)
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lennonac
      I was actually using elephant before to review my play. I found it was helping me improve. I've started using PT3 to review my play and it is very helpful. Still trying to find my way around though, there's a lot of info and I'm not too quick with computers. Once I figure out the filters and other shortcuts I think my game will start to take off. I'm confident now that a tracking program will definitely pay for itself. I would like to finish this trial then try HEM. I'll definitely buy one or the other. I may even give elephant another shot once I get enough points for the licence. Thanks for replys they were a great help.

Cheers
    • MrPavlos
      MrPavlos
      Global
      i lately SSS aswell some nl25-50 and stats help,changing tables is a fact so u wont have instant stats but after 2days u will have some stats on some players as soon as u hit the tables.

Imo i have used aswell the trial of pt3 but i bought hem,which imo is way better
    • deVall3y
      deVall3y
      Bronze
      I feel like for SnG's more than 10 or more tables, HUD makes a huge difference in ROI. I dont know how it is in cash though. You should also try hold'em manager, theres a small stakes version
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MrPavlos
      Imo i have used aswell the trial of pt3 but i bought hem,which imo is way better
      The reality is that PT3 is much better and has been for about a year now. I would only recommend HEM to those with very old computers.

In particular I couldn't live without PT3's tabbed popups and grid displays.

Originally posted by deVall3yYou should also try hold'em manager, theres a small stakes version
      Not only does PT3 have a micro stakes version, but it's $10 cheaper.
    • FirestormX
      FirestormX
      Bronze
      It's also quite helpful to have a HUD if you like playing more than one table (which I'm almost always doing while SSSing).

It's difficult to get a feel for a table when you need to pay attention to more than one.
    • Janusrichmond
      Janusrichmond
      Bronze
      any of you guys that says that stats helps even when moving table alot, and after a couple of days you start recognize people. What sites are you playing at? From my small experience that is not often you meet the same opponents from one day to another at the biggest pokerclient, Pokerstars. Always seem to be new people ;/ But then I´m just playing micro (up to NL10), maybe it´s different on higher limits?

On smaller pokerclients you often meet the same opponents, then I believe a HUD is to more help ^^
    • buhhy
      buhhy
      Bronze
      Hmm do either of these have HUD's for pacific poker? If not, are there any HUD programs out there for that site?
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by buhhy
      Hmm do either of these have HUD's for pacific poker? If not, are there any HUD programs out there for that site?
      I don't know anything about Elephant, but PokerTracker 3 supports Pacific Poker.

Originally posted by Janusrichmond
      any of you guys that says that stats helps even when moving table alot, and after a couple of days you start recognize people. What sites are you playing at?
      A better question is what sites haven't I played at recently. :D I don't play SSS anymore, but the thing about having a program like PokerTracker is that it also helps you table select. So of course I run into the same people a lot because I always search for my favorite fish!

Originally posted by Janusrichmond
      But then I´m just playing micro (up to NL10), maybe it´s different on higher limits?
      That sounds more like small sample size. How many hands have you played?
    • buhhy
      buhhy
      Bronze
      Yeah, PT3 supports hand histories for pacific, but doesn't support a HUD for it unfortunately.