Poker mathematics

• Dziurgis
      I had playing poker for a couple of years now but lately I started to dig the theory more deep. I found out how my knowledge of the mathematics of poker was not correct in some areas and not deep enough in the others.

But it is better to find it later when never, right? :D

There is one thing that bugs me a lot lately.

You can see how coaches analyses for example a particular hand. they make an EV calculations, fold equity and etc..

The hand is not important but lets say you face a decision to shove a draw on turn or something like that. you get that it will be a profitable move if villain folds lets say 30% of the time.

I understand calculations, the idea behind it, the dynamics of the formula but there is one BUT.

When in real life you will know how often this opponent will fold in this particular situation? I mean you need to play with that person something like 10-20-30k hands at least to see his tendencies. if so it becomes irrelevant until the highest stakes.

I have my theory about all it, but I would like to hear the opinions from more experienced and wise players than me first.

Thank you for your time.

• 1 reply
    • jonnyquest

I'm a noob as far as Equity calculations. I just started with PT3 and equilator. But what I do is to put my opponent on a range of hands and calculate what % I would call/raise/fold in this situation. Then I adjust the percentages based on my stats and observations of that opponent. Not sure if this is the proper way to be analyzing these borderline situations but it's working for me so far.