Lost $700 out of $1k.. need help

• squishy
      squishy
      Bronze
      Hi guyss! soo my bankroll got mega owned.. i had $1k and got down to $300 dollas which sucks big time..

I first got the $50 from ps.. grinded bonuses up to $300 playing sss and later won $350 through an mtt.. later i made $200 short stacking nl100 and finally made like $150 through more mtts..

the first $300 took me like 3 months, the other $700 like 1 week so easy come easy go i guess.. anyway u can clearly tell im better off at sng's and mtt's than sss..

i even took a pic of my 1k roll but its too depressing to even look for it.. i basically had 1k and said "ok im gonna make 200 more and reach nl200 sss" so i started playing, started getting badly beated no joke.. this of course influenced my play and i started playing like crap so i was at a huge downsing and playing badly and pretty much over 5k hands lost like $700 on nl100 cause i ignored brm below $600 :f_mad:

i then decided to stop playing sss.. i can handle bss, i actually win with it but atm im to psichologically damaged to play.. i was also winning very nicely at sng's and mtt check out http://www.officialpokerrankings.com/fulltiltpoker/squishy+r/poker/results/14E542317CFC48A1B188D136251C937E.html?t=2
      its not much volume but i was definatedly in control.. right now i cant play cause im too tilty..

btw this downsing happened at the same time i told my family i wanted to spend some time working by playing poker and everyone freaked out and i practically had to move out.. but didnt.. so that definatedly might have sth to do with it.. anyways i plan on not playing for at least a week until i chill down and expecting rake back so br should be at $400

anyways any advice is greatly appreciated and if anyone knows about a good thread or article about poker not being a game of luck that would be great.. which i also need for my family. so thanks in advance :f_cool:
  • 9 replies
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      I can't supply an article.

As for advice - you pointed the issues - tilt, wrong BRM. Work on your self-control with things like:
      - buy ins lost for a day - if you lose 6 stacks SSS stop for the day. If you lose 2 stacks BSS - stop for the day. Six BI in SnG and call it a day.
      - just stick to BRM. That's the best advice I can give you. You can cheat the system from time to time but it's gonna get back to you and rape you so hard in the ass that you're gonna wish you never tried. Oh... Wait. You already did that. So don't do it again.
      - look at hands, seek problematic spots, post the hands and implement the advices in your game.
      - always try to be positive. Like today I bubbled on not one but two MTTs when I stick it in with the better hand preflop - AQ vs KJ and TT vs KQ. I said: well, fuck it, weren't my MTTs I guess. When variance hits you hard just accept it and don't try to do dumb stuff like: Lemme loosen up a bit, I'm too tight and I NEED this stack back!

GL HF!
    • EdgarAronov
      EdgarAronov
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mishkagg
      Like today I bubbled on not one but two MTTs when I stick it in with the better hand preflop - AQ vs KJ and TT vs KQ. I said: well, fuck it, weren't my MTTs I guess. When variance hits you hard just accept it and don't try to do dumb stuff like: Lemme loosen up a bit, I'm too tight and I NEED this stack back!

GL HF!
      lol, if these MTTs were both like 350$ ones (so you lost 700$) then its OK... but i doubt that losing 2 MTT compares to losing over 2/3 of your BR with a day

edit: to the guy with the injured bankroll, i feel sorry for you, i realy do. just try to think it as a way to improvement, i mean, start from the beginning with your 300$, it will take time but it will make you a better player if you go thru these limits again.
    • inf4my
      inf4my
      Bronze
      Sounds like you went on a massive heater to start your poker career, and then assumed that it will always be that way.

Doesn't work that way unfortunately. Poker is full of ups and BIG downs, and if you can't cope with the downswings then don't waste your time on this game.

It will take years before you are crushing NL200, it doesn't happen overnight.
    • raun
      raun
      Bronze
      Originally posted by inf4my
      Sounds like you went on a massive heater to start your poker career, and then assumed that it will always be that way.

Doesn't work that way unfortunately. Poker is full of ups and BIG downs, and if you can't cope with the downswings then don't waste your time on this game.

It will take years before you are crushing NL200, it doesn't happen overnight.
      i dont agree.

at first i went on tilt very easily but as my skills improved so did my mentality and now i hardly ever tilt and if i do i spot it and stop playing for the day.

so dont give up just keep trying to improve, both on your game and on your mentality
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      [quote]Originally posted by EdgarAronov
      Originally posted by mishkagg
      lol, if these MTTs were both like 350$ ones (so you lost 700$) then its OK... but i doubt that losing 2 MTT compares to losing over 2/3 of your BR with a day
      No, I meant more like the mindset when losing buy-ins and not trying to regain the lost when on tilt.
    • KidPokersKid
      KidPokersKid
      Global
      Originally posted by squishy
      btw this downsing happened at the same time i told my family i wanted to spend some time working by playing poker and everyone freaked out and i practically had to move out.. but didnt.. so that definatedly might have sth to do with it..
      Really looks like your mind is not prepared .. you really should read a book called The Poker Mind Set...
      one of the most important things when you plan to make income from poker is what kind of state your mind is in. If you can't control yourself after bad beats your going to have a hard time putting in large volume which is what you have to do AND the more you play the more bad beats you will see. So it is a vicious cycle for the unprepard... Best of luck to you:s_thumbsup:
    • dadude77
      dadude77
      Bronze
      you only had 25 BI for NL200... don't really feel bad for you there....

also i dont believe in setting a stop limit for winning or losing, UNLESS its because of bad play... ive had amazing days where i started down 10+BI in SSS SH. As long as you realize you're playing right and not tilting then whether you play more today or tomorrow is no difference. same for winning, I would never set a stop loss, only stop playing if you start to get that invincible feeling.
    • dadude77
      dadude77
      Bronze
      edit: excuse me, i read too fast thought you were playing NL200 my apologys. If you're going to play SSS though you have to realize when you get a bad beat that if you made the right decision it doesnt matter, its about improving your game and getting to the top limits, not making cash in the shortterm based on variance. I've been doing this recently and has helped me immensely. Best way for me is since i play like 10-16 tables and lose concentration quickly have little 20-30 mins sessions and then you can stop do something else get some stuff done you have to, then play another one and each one you're kind of wiping the slate clean just have a positive session whatever happened before has already happened.
    • squishy
      squishy
      Bronze
      Thank you guys for all the support, i agree 100% that my mind is not prepared, i have been reading some psychology & didactics strategy articles and ive noticed that i should have definitely read those beforehand lol.. specially the part about stop loss and how to get away from tilt.

i used to be able to stop loss and tilt before but this time i got trapped because of the downswing and thats sth i have to work on.. ill definitely look out for "The Poker Mind Set" and study much more. I appreciate all the feedback, it has been taken into account and yes i was playing nl100 :f_grin:

From the outside it looks pretty simple but once ur in the game its a completely different feeling. gl to u too fellow pokerstrategists