New to this SSS

• miguelrebelo
      miguelrebelo
      Bronze
      Hello everyone (my first post I think) ;) ,

I'm currently doing SSS at FTP, and read all the articles (basic and bronze), and read almost every post around this Forum.

I played only 2600 hands, I know it's not much, but actually can give us a little taste of what SSS is, and bring us a lot of questions/doubts/etc.

And I have some of my own:
      1. Trust me I believe in the strategy, but in my HUMBLE opinion, I think SSS without the Silver articles with steal and steal reraise is a no-win no loose situation, because I just get pounded by the blinds. I got my $50 and I'm still with my $50 (actually I can say I’m sad about this, I’ve seen a lot post back there that…), but what is wrong? Is this normal? If I look at PT3, actually I’m losing, but with rakeback I’m even.
      2. Table selection – It’s been kind of hard, to find a table with 7 Min and 2 SSS Max. When I do… it has a waiting list of a mile long, I get in line and then when “I push the button sit me down to win some money”… go figure, only SSS there with two or three BSS.
      3. (again I believe in SSS) however AQ isn’t a bit loose on MP1 (9 player table), because AQ on MP1 allways (77%) got me wrong since I had to quit to a BSS, or if the Flop doesn’t help me…
      Tell me please, what you would have done in this situation…

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/poker-hand-converter/162684

Fold... Right? and there goes 4bb

4. Psychology question: When you’re having a good day, and with the upmost of your game you continue even if you lose, however, if you’re having a bat beat after the other, even if you “think” you’re not tilting what’s your advice quit or just continue! Last night I played for about 2 hours (4 tables) and I just kept loosing so I said ok time to quit… do you think it’s right?

Thank you so much for your attention and suggestions…
  • 12 replies
    • kosmonaut111
      kosmonaut111
      Bronze
      I am not SSS player, but can comment your last question.

When you have one (bad) beat after another, and you think that you are not tilting... Well maybe you arent, but my experience shows, that something is different. I advise to take a break, if you have think about not tilting. Half hour or so is enough. Dont know if it is somekind of unconsious thing or ... but it works for me.
      Overall about quitting - if you feel like you dont want to play now , stop. Even if you are running good (I know that some say, that if you are on a good run, dont stop).
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Hi there.

I'm also a new SSS player and had the same questions and concerns during the past weeks. Let me pass on to you some advice I have received from the forums that have helped me. First when short stacking table selection is very important. Just try to always be searching for tables when not in a hand. If you're questioning tilt, you are. Sit out for a while or review your stats for the current session and then go back to the tables. SSS is very swingy, try to enjoy the highs but don't let downswings break you. Just remind yourself that if you play good poker you will win in the long term. When a Donk bad beats you with J6o think of it as loaning him some chips, because those chips as well as the rest of his bankroll will come back to you in the future. Patience and multitabling are everything to a short stacker. Be patient and the profits will come. Just keep learning and playing solid poker.

As for your questions. 1) the moves you learn in the silver articles won't work at NL10 your opponents aren't good enough. 2) just because a player has a short stack doesn't mean they are playing SSS. Lots of fish buy in with small stacks. Select using players to flop% and pot size. Try the table and if it's too tight or too aggressive leave. 3) if you have found a loose passive table you can open raise with hands like AQ or TT in position or from the blinds. You can also just limp oop as you would with a small pair.

Hope this helps

Good luck
    • miguelrebelo
      miguelrebelo
      Bronze
      Thank you for all your answers and suggestions, it wll start me going in the right directions...

Can anyone tell me what should I have done in this situations?

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/poker-hand-converter/163680

I wouldn't bet he had an 8 so went All-In, but should we rely on luck on the Turn and River?

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/poker-hand-converter/163679

Maybe I shouldn't have bet on the river, since he didn't folded, but hey... Had to try the KK bluff, I know it's not on the SSStrategy...

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/poker-hand-converter/163678

Actually since 66 is not on the I didn't bet, but somehow had that gut feeling he wouldn't have anything, but should I have bluffed, SSS says no, on free hands, what would you have done?

Thank you again for all your suggestions...
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Hi

1) your instincts were correct unfortunately when you raise as a short stacker your opponents are often pot commited. He only had to call another $.20. Then he got lucky.

2) I think this had would help a lot to have stats. I've only started with bluffing. I think it's important to think of what hand your trying to represent, if it's beleivable and if you enough fold equity. Not sure what I would have done here without stats.

3) against a button limp I usually raise if I'm going to play the hand. Either way I cbet the flop.

Don't know if my comments were of any help to you since I'm also a begginer. Hopefully someone will post something where we both learn something.
    • tac3znarf
      tac3znarf
      Bronze
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/poker-hand-converter/162684

In this hand I think stats of both callers would help. Specifically fold to cbet on flop and WTSWSF afterall they have called from late positions so calling range would be too wide. If fold to cbet on flop on both players are high then I would cbet the flop and represent an overpair.

pokerstrategy.com/poker-hand-converter/163680

If UTG limper is tight I would rather call preflop than raising mid pair. The way the hand has vbeen played I say you did the right thing he just got lucky.

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/poker-hand-converter/163679

River bluff for sss in not really advisable on lower limits unless you have some erads. You still had a showdown value with Ace high and you do not have fold equity with your stack I would rather check behind on the river.

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/poker-hand-converter/163678

Honestly, button 1st in limping preflop is mostly a sign of weakness. In this situation, mostly I think raising preflop is the best move with any pocket pair.

Most of my advice is more agressive since this is how I was able top beat the lower limits using SSS.

Good luck in crushing NL10. :)
    • miguelrebelo
      miguelrebelo
      Bronze
      That's what I thought when I won the 66 hand, I thought this is week, winning with a pocket pair and not cbet and anything...

However, I would like to start getting more agressive, but every time, I bend a little the rules of SSS I lose, so I better stick to it. However, it brings me back to my first post, no-win no-lose situation where only with rackeback, I win.

About the river bet I agree with you, never should have done it, but had to try it... :)

Thank you
    • arisko
      arisko
      Bronze
      I play SSS too and you just have to be able to take swings. Yesterday, my day started out with a loss of 70$. Then, I took a break, and when I got back at the tables I won around 40$ and ended up with a loss of 30$. Of course, I win more then I loose, but 70$ is a pretty big loss when your BR is 350$. This is on NL50. The thing is that, if ysou think SSS is boring to play, don't force yourself to do it. Try something else. You might be a sit 'n' go person, I don't know. But I can assure you that NL10 and NL25 is beatable with basic and bronze articles, so just keep it up.
    • miguelrebelo
      miguelrebelo
      Bronze
      Well I really must say I'm more of a SNG kind of guy, SNG get's my adreline pumpin much more. However, the problem with SNG and FTP and Poker Strategy is that it won't get me far with points, since I only have time to spend one hour per day during the week. And I have until Beguinning of january to clear the points. And SSS allows me to clear tthe bonus very fast. I've been trying SSS but I'm still with 44$ and I had to win some SNG to be here, I'm now with -$20 on SSS strategy. But I've only played about 3000 hands. I don't think it's boring.

However, I've been reviewing my hands on PT3 and I'm sure I'm playing solid SSS and following all the rules. ANd I know Poker isn't about luck, however SSS brings a little luck factor to the game, in the sense of the SSS charts showing up or not, I still loose a lot of money when raising 4bb on MP1 or MP2 with AQ or 99, on which I have to fold to a reraise. And if you see my charts you'll see that the cards aren't showing at all, because it's a very smooth down chart because the blinds get to me. Oh well, again 3000 not much, will have to wait until I get to 60.000.

Just a question, I'm just trying the SSS and I was thinking if I can't get to 150$ by january is it wise to invest 200$ and pass on to the next level?
    • miguelrebelo
      miguelrebelo
      Bronze
      I'm getting eaten by the blinds... don't know what is happening!!!... I'm down 23$ on SSS.... :( I'm still with 47$ thanks to SNG which I don't play very often, I'm dedicated to SSS and bonus release.

Is this normal, does that happen? I'm seeing in PT3 that where I'm loosing money is really from BB and SB and my AQ from previous post.
    • AlexanderD22
      AlexanderD22
      Bronze
      Originally posted by arisko
      But I can assure you that NL10 and NL25 is beatable with basic and bronze articles, so just keep it up.
      Unless you run like me. Doing an analysis of October where I played strictly NL10 BASIC SSS which I plan on posting but life keeps getting in the way. The only thing not BASIC or mistake I made was getting burned shoving AK to 1 raise so stopped doing that for last week. At one point AKs was -10ish $. I've only played 1k hands this month because of the same problem. Here's my brief explanation of why not (note it is a small sample)

Almost 23k hands
      -41.95 (god bless rakeback or I'd be screwed)
      -0.92 BB/100
      VPIP 5.37
      PFR 4.70 (AK issues lol)
      45$ below EV

But this is the most interesting part...as you see it was a losing month but this is the amount of $$ I won over the month...
      365.83 however I had to post 416 worth of blinds, basic SSS the blinds eat you up. The number seem a little off but I'm just pulling them from PT3. As I said might post more detailed analysis when I get the chance.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Are you sure it's not the rake? The rake at NL10 is particularly high at just about every site on the internet.

Also in Alexander's stats his VPIP/PFR is really low. If he didn't make any mistakes with the SHC then that is probably really bad table selection. (A lot of LAGs raising junk causing you to fold hands that would certainly be profitable against their range.)
    • miguelrebelo
      miguelrebelo
      Bronze
      Well, my VPIP ir really low also is about 6, but following the SSS SHC, I think it's about right, since in basic and bronze articles we are not supost to steal blinds and reraises.

I'll post my PT3 graph and stats and you'll see that the blinds are killing me, cause if it depended on showdowns, I would be rich. I'm not considering bad beats because that's supost to happen (That's Poker!), however I don't have a lot of bad calls with eg: Hero AA villain 59o... Villain wins... I have the other way around (guess I'm statisticly lucky in that departement)...

But have like a "lot" of AQ on MP1 or MP2 that I had to fold due to reraises, following the SHC without looking to statistcs of vilains. I'm not even counting on rake, only looking at what I've lost in blinds... :(

But what is really strange is that I've been seeing some graphs on other posts and the graphs are great... So my opinion is that it does work, but wtf is happening to me? Is it me? What am I doing wrong?

I've reread all the articles and it seems fine looking at PT3...