Help me understand the fundamental theorem of poker.

• suaveplayer
      suaveplayer
      Bronze
      "

Every time you play a hand differently from the way you would have played it if you could see all your opponents' cards, they gain; and every time you play your hand the same way you would have played it if you could see all their cards, they lose. Conversely, every time opponents play their hands differently from the way they would have if they could see all your cards, you gain; and every time they play their hands the same way they would have played if they could see all your cards, you lose.

"
      Can anyone please tell me how do you play your hand as if you knew the Villain´s cards
      since such a thing you just DON`T know, you can only put him in a range of cards based on previous action/tells of any sort and then narrow that range based on his next moves.
  • 4 replies
    • TerrorBlade
      TerrorBlade
      Black
      You've basically answered the question on your own. You put him on a range of hands and make the move that has the most +EV against his range.

For example on a A2236 board if he will call with every hand and you know he has AK and you have AQ, you check/fold. If you know he has AJ+ then you lose 1BB against AK, split with AQ and win a bet against AJ so -1+0+1= 0 so the EV of betting is 0.

If he has AT+ in this spot then you get 1 BB from both AT/AJ split with AQ and lose to AK so 1+1+0-1 = +1BB in EV from a bet. We can compare this to checking where we lose or gain nothing so the EV of checking is = 0.

In every situation we try to find the move with the highest EV based on his range.
    • BDL
      BDL
      Bronze
      What TB said,

I think the part that`s confusing is the whole knowing your opponents hand bit. Playing good poker often means violating the ftop in order to induce even larger mistakes from your opponent.

The correct way to think about it is def. in terms of hand ranges. You can look up the concept of G-bucks for more information.
    • suaveplayer
      suaveplayer
      Bronze
      Hey, thanks for answering. I will read that Sklansky´s book and see what I get.
    • fun101rockets
      fun101rockets
      Bronze
      if u r talking about nl holdem u also have to consider fold equity and showdown value