Catching Fish in a Small Pond - 6 Max SNG Strategy (videos included)

• NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      OK, I got approval to do this...

For those of you who read my blog you will know that I am playing 6-max SNGs and getting brutalised by them. So I am asking for your help... I am going to be producing several short videos looking at certain areas of the 6-max SNG and I am looking for your help, do you agree, disagree, have questions or advice... If you play these, or play normal FR SNGs please put your input here as it all helps.

To start off with I wanna focus on bubble situations, so all input is appreciated... tx,

Nick

• 7 replies
    • Flows
      Flows
      Bronze
      Hey,

nice video!

the Q5s hand is very interesting because I would have pushed it without thinking much about it... At first I was like :f_eek: but then :f_cry:
      But now again I'm sure that those 6-max SNGs are not my game.

With the rest I agreed instantly. I would have folded 42o too!

Flows
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      Yeah I am beginning top learn that button pushes have to be much tighter... It seems to me that pushing tighter and calling looser may be a trend... something that I will be looking at in future videos... I will be relyinga lot on the wizard I think....
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      OK, second video...

I think I will just add these as I make them... feel free to comment on whichever video/spot catches your interest. I am going to still make a good few more bubble reviews cos understanding the bubble is always the most NB part of a SNG...

Something I have been thinking about quite a bit... villain's call on the final hand... would you have called there? what range would you call?
    • sirilidion
      sirilidion
      Bronze
      nice video's very intresting the way you adjust you're bubble situation from fr to sh. But I do have an question. How do you adjust you're game in the early levels and midlevels in sh? do you have to have more or less BI in 6-max then fr in you're BRM?
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      Originally posted by sirilidion
      nice video's very intresting the way you adjust you're bubble situation from fr to sh. But I do have an question. How do you adjust you're game in the early levels and midlevels in sh? do you have to have more or less BI in 6-max then fr in you're BRM?
      Hey sirilidion

I am gonna be doing a couple more bubble videos in the next while, cos I think there is way more to be explored there and quite a few more adjustments to be made... just on a short break atm...

In the early levels I tend to favour a tight image to build FE as we hit push or fold... but, I do loosen up as the blinds become bigger and worth stealing... It comes down to reads though, cos I wanna steal and maintain/build my stack and also preserve FE... In general I add AJs/o and KQs/o to my openraising range on all blind levels, and for stealing I loosen up, esp if I am on the button and 2 tight players are in the blinds. If there are loose fish in the blinds I steal tighter from them cos the raise/c-bet takes down the pot less often... But in genereal with turbo SH games you get into push/fold fairly quickly so I think it is OK, to stay tight and use ICM to your advantage... Generally I think the most NB aspect if you are gonna play a looser game in the early stages is position, but I don`t loosen up too much until I have reads on players...

BRM also needs to be nittier with these games... I favour 150-200 BIs because they are a short, fast and loose and can produce more swings as a result...

but deffo, once I have explored the bubble a bit more I wanna look at the early stages...

In general though I have found the limits up to the $11s fairly soft, the $22s+ become more reg heavy and table selection becomes very NB...

OK, look for a new video in the next couple days...
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      Yeah I'm watching your video,

first vid

The 55 hand (1:25) I'm sure shoving is +$EV, but I think limping is better.

I limp, if bigstack shoves: I fold if BB folds and call if BB cals.

If bigstack folds I call a shove from BB obviously.

How did you set up the overcall range for BB?

(7:50) The K4 hand on BU is a shove for me. BB and SB made two incredibly bad folds right before that hand so I think those 30 - 35 % ranges are way too loose.

Then again, there is a good chance you get a walk on your next BB.
      I think it's usualy the last spot where we have FE. If we have to fold 2 times in the blinds we have 1.5BB left. Bigstack looks pretty passive though.

(8:50) The 7Qo shove from BU where you have 0.5 BB is a fold for me, why would you push here? Even when you double up you're dead. I'm just gonna auto all in on next BB without a decent hand, and hope SB is bad enough to shove again.

2nd video

pretty much agree with every play
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      Hey viewer... tx for the input...

55 hand, I get the limp line, and I think it is ok too here... both line are OK IMO... I will have to check about adjusting the BB overcall range a bit later tho...

The K4 spot... as bad as the players are with the stack I have they are still calling me with a lot... no way they are folding 2 broadways, PPs, all As, lotsa Ks etc, and if they only call 20-25% it's still -EV and not close... so, I think I like the fold especially since I am so often dominated when called as well... and yeah, may get a walk in the BB...

The Q7 hand... I doubt SB will push... there's a picture and if I am to survive I need some luck, so I prefer to double/triple through the next 2 hands...