stuck at $50

• kAoChAn
      kAoChAn
      Bronze
      I think I need advice on bankroll management...I've been following SSS for a week now but I never profited, so I tried BSS and I finally 'recuperated' (I was down to about $40 and was able to get back the lost $10). Then I tried something different...I moved up from NL10 to NL25 (I play at Everest btw) and voila! I won $25 (which means I was up by only $20, I bought in the minimum $5, and yes, I used SSS).
      My problem is this...after I finally had $70 in my BR I decided to "multi-table". Usually I would join a freeroll tourney and to sort of experience 'multi-tabling' I'd join two ring games at NL10 (because I decided I had luck on my side when I won at NL25 and didn't want to be overconfident). Unfortunately, I lost the $20 because I realized I was too comfortable switching tables and perhaps I'm not ready for multi-tabling (I always lose focus!)
      Now that I'm back to square one, should I try playing BSS at NL10 again (one table at a time) or should I try NL25 SSS (where I got really lucky)? I'd like to post my stats but I don't know how to, LOL...
  • 14 replies
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      stick to SSS at NL10, you've been lucky so far, if you hit a patch where you're unlucky, playing at the higher limits will instantly destroy your bankroll.
    • shivas80
      shivas80
      Bronze
      NEVER and i mean it... NEVER go to higher limit to "try luck", "get lucky" or something similar....

play SSS on NL10 until you get your Bankroll ready for NL25... and staying at 50$ is good result... already... play optimal way and profit will come.
    • krekeris
      krekeris
      Bronze
      I clearly understand how you feel. I am grinding SSS on NL10 for more than a month and still have got only about 12$ profit, but imo it is important to stick to the rules and not try to go to NL25 before you have got your 30 Buy-in's which is 150$ on your BR. BR management is one of the most important key's to not go broke.

Wish you best of luck at the tables. ;)
    • Justin37
      Justin37
      Bronze
      My friend started NL0.10/0.25 on full tilt poker n now around $200 BR using SSS strategy alone. He never play any tour or SNG/DON. He stick with NL0.10/0.25 by playing 3-4 hours a week.

I think, u should stick with the table that giving u $$$.
    • kAoChAn
      kAoChAn
      Bronze
      hey~! thanks a lot guys...

@Justin37
      a friend who's a better poker player started playing NL25 (BB .25) instead of NL10 because he was confident enough and in a week was able to earn like 4x his starting capital...I believe I'm more comfortable with that range, I've posted before click here that I'm having a hard time with the low limits but I do believe in SSS, and if I want to be a great strategist I should be able to profit from the low limits...so far all I could understand from this downswing is that I need more patience...but I also agree that if I think I can profit more somewhere else...LOL...we'll see :]

@krekeris
      yes, good luck to all of us...it's great to hear that you're profiting...I'm yet to maintain an upwards scale for my BR...I was just extremely lucky when I tried NL25, there was this guy who never gave me credit (I was dealt with really good hands) and have tried terrorizing me like 3x by pushing me to go all in pre-flop (he knew I was using SSS) and I just got lucky during the flop. I doubled up like my first hand, then I think he wanted his chips returned so whenever I get involved he'd call but was totally unlucky, the deck was in my favor...he had to rebuy because I took most of his stack...I left the table after like 20 hands, most of which I folded...but I lost most of it anyway...*sniff* :f_cry:

@shivas80
      nope, I will not do it again, I've learned my lesson...I'm going back to NL10 and be more patient! :s_biggrin:

@elhh82
      yup, I will...I hope I'll be luckier than ever... :s_biggrin:
    • Kswaich
      Kswaich
      Global
      Hello! I have been playing poker for a long time and i read the articles that pokerstrategy has to offer. They are good for players who are new to the game and if they stick to that advice they will profit more so then those who play a loose and lucky game.

But to be honest it isnt worth the hours to grind and grind for next to nothing. Playing multiple sit and go's is a good way to make money but for me personally i like to play Micro stake GTDs(guaranteed) tournaments you invest little for alot. The only problem with these tournaments is that there are an insane amount of players who join so winning them isnt easy. If you stick to the PS guides you can do fairly well in them but remember you have to change up your game quite a bit in these tournaments dont always stick to one strategy sometimes you have to gamble.

Just my advice on what to play plus i felt like sharing:P

Cheers good luck guys!
    • cryoburn
      cryoburn
      Bronze
      stick to NL10 SSS! you WILL go broke otherwise.
      i haven't played everest for almost a year now. but if it has to offer a lower stake you could try NL2 BSS.
      if not, grind NL10 SSS. you can easily play 2 tables even if you're a beginner.

as for micro MTTs, wait for your BR to at least double before trying it. you can always practice for these playing micro SNGs and freerolls.
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Hi

I've been playing for 4 weeks now. At the start I thought the SSS couldn't win because I was losing. I played every day for a week for hours just single tableing. I played 732 hands and was down around $8. Week 2 I 2 tabled and played around 2k hands and was then up around $20 with rakeback and bonus. Week 3 I started 4 tabling and worked up to 12 tabling by the end of the week. By the end of week 3 I had played over 20k hands, finished clearing the bonus and was now up over $150 with rakeback and bonus.

I started playing tighter and tighter as I added tables until I was finally playing proper bronze level SSS. Once I stopped trying to play the way I do in live games and just used the strategy I was able to win.

I think the best way to start your bankroll is to just follow the SHC, play tight and aggressive and be patient. Once you've memorised the SHC and have got a feel for cbetting start adding tables. Once you find yourself waiting for action often or getting bored add another table.

Don't try to get lucky playing a higher limit. You'll kill your bankroll. I'm just climbing out of my first downswing. If I hadn't used a conservative BRM I would've gone broke.

Patience is everything. If your bored, multitable. If you're playing enough tables you'll always be getting some action.

Good luck
    • tac3znarf
      tac3znarf
      Bronze
      Ei Kaochan, little did I know that you love blogging. :)

I suggest that you stick to SHC in this level. Try to be familiar with the hands you need to play based on your table position. This is more than enough to crush this limit.

Once you are familiar with the cards you need to play and the advantage of the position, just play it straight forward, bet when you have and check/fold when you don't have the hand. You can also add CBet on flop in your arsenal when you are the aggressor preflop.

In addition, observe the table and put notes on fish and loose callers. They will provide you with additional easy winnings.

Good luck in crushing NL10 and see you in NL200. :) :)
    • tac3znarf
      tac3znarf
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kAoChAn
      @krekeris
      I doubled up like my first hand, then I think he wanted his chips returned so whenever I get involved he'd call but was totally unlucky, the deck was in my favor...he had to rebuy because I took most of his stack...I left the table after like 20 hands, most of which I folded...but I lost most of it anyway...*sniff* :f_cry:

I suggest that you leave the table when you lready doubled up. Once you already have more than 30BB in the table, just wait until the Big blind reach and leave before you post the blind.
    • kAoChAn
      kAoChAn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tac3znarf
      Ei Kaochan, little did I know that you love blogging. :)
      ehehehehe...^___~

I suggest that you stick to SHC in this level. Try to be familiar with the hands you need to play based on your table position. This is more than enough to crush this limit.

Once you are familiar with the cards you need to play and the advantage of the position, just play it straight forward, bet when you have and check/fold when you don't have the hand. You can also add CBet on flop in your arsenal when you are the aggressor preflop.

In addition, observe the table and put notes on fish and loose callers. They will provide you with additional easy winnings.

Good luck in crushing NL10 and see you in NL200. :) :)
      thankies~! great advice! so far recognizing loose callers have helped me gain advantage...interestingly, Elephant tells me I'm a loose player myself...I guess, it takes one to know one? LOL :f_biggrin:
    • kAoChAn
      kAoChAn
      Bronze
      @krekeris
      I doubled up like my first hand, then I think he wanted his chips returned so whenever I get involved he'd call but was totally unlucky, the deck was in my favor...he had to rebuy because I took most of his stack...I left the table after like 20 hands, most of which I folded...but I lost most of it anyway...*sniff* :f_cry:

I suggest that you leave the table when you lready doubled up. Once you already have more than 30BB in the table, just wait until the Big blind reach and leave before you post the blind.
      okies~! I'll do this!
    • kAoChAn
      kAoChAn
      Bronze
      @Kswaich
      thanks for sharing! I used to play more tourneys and SnG's myself (mostly freerolls...I never won anything big, mostly play chips, satellite seats or some cents) but lately I find myself too tired to endure the long hours (I only get to play around 12MN and I still have work the following day) so I've concentrated on ring games.

@cryoburn
      I've confirmed that I suck at microlimits like NL2. I've no idea how to post my stats (courtesy of Elephant) but it tells me I fare better at NL10 though NL25 was like my biggest success...and we know why...LOL

@jonnyquest
      good for you! I still don't get the hang of multi-tabling though...moreover, sizing the windows in everest is a pain...

good luck on your games, too!

(mods I hope this isn't considered spamming...^_~ I just realized I've posted 3 consecutive replies)
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze

(mods I hope this isn't considered spamming...^_~ I just realized I've posted 3 consecutive replies)
      hehehe, no don't worry kAoChAn, it's great to get to know you a little better, we would always prefer to have friendly active members here and I'm sure you will really like it here.

As you've already seen, we have lots of superb members that are always keen to help others with their game, so don't be afraid of asking whatever questions you may have or maybe start a blog in the blog section of the forum etc.

Good to see you my friend, welcome to the community, keep those posts coming ;)

Best regards,

Bart