Please Help

• philiveyfan
      philiveyfan
      Bronze
      Hey I'm still fairly new to texas holdem so I want to ask few questions.

If I have ace 2 and you have 45

and board comes ace 2 3 4 5 does the 45 take it or is it a split?

I have ace queen you have ace king

board is 10 jack king queen 7 is this a split or does ace king take it.

I'm still struggling with split pots. I know it's the best 5 cards but sometimes I confused anyone can help me out in a easy way with this.
  • 6 replies
    • AlexanderD22
      AlexanderD22
      Bronze
      Originally posted by philiveyfan

I'm still struggling with split pots. I know it's the best 5 cards but sometimes I confused anyone can help me out in a easy way with this.
      Both splits, both playing the board for a straight.

Try to think of it as the best possible 5 cards. In you first example all of the hole cards are out there so it doesn't matter. In the 2nd example you only need 1 card to make the broadway straight (TJQKA) so anyone holding an Ace has that 5 card combination. If there was a 3rd player in the hand holding A-rag they would still have the straight.
    • philiveyfan
      philiveyfan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AlexanderD22
      Originally posted by philiveyfan

Both splits, both playing the board for a straight.

Try to think of it as the best possible 5 cards. In you first example all of the hole cards are out there so it doesn't matter. In the 2nd example you only need 1 card to make the broadway straight (TJQKA) so anyone holding an Ace has that 5 card combination. If there was a 3rd player in the hand holding A-rag they would still have the straight.

so in what case do kickers play?
    • AlexanderD22
      AlexanderD22
      Bronze
      Ok I'm gonna give this a whirl since I've always considered myself the world's worst teacher.

Kickers only play if the hand held is less than a 5 card hand. Now the whole point is to make the best 5 card hand possible.

In the case of a straight, only 5 cards can make a straight. Now if the board is A2345 and you have A2 you have 2 "made" hands, you have a straight and 2 pair, which is useless, because the board is a straight so your best 5 card hand is the straight. Assume your opponent holds K9, he is also playing the board so its a chop. However, if your opponent hold Q6 his hand is now better as his best 5 cards would be a 6 high straight.

When a kicker matters:
      Board is A-A-8-J-3
      You have A10
      Opponent A9
      The best 5 cards possible out of those is AAAJ10 so you win.
      If the board is A-A-Q-J-3 and you have the same cards you will chop it because AAAQJ is better than both AAAQ10 and AAAQ9.

In the event of two pairs on the board...
      Board T-T-3-J-J
      You have KQ
      Opponent Q10
      You win because JJTTK is better than JJTTQ

Hope this helps.
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      You might find some useful info here.
    • philiveyfan
      philiveyfan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AlexanderD22
      Ok I'm gonna give this a whirl since I've always considered myself the world's worst teacher.

Kickers only play if the hand held is less than a 5 card hand. Now the whole point is to make the best 5 card hand possible.

In the case of a straight, only 5 cards can make a straight. Now if the board is A2345 and you have A2 you have 2 "made" hands, you have a straight and 2 pair, which is useless, because the board is a straight so your best 5 card hand is the straight. Assume your opponent holds K9, he is also playing the board so its a chop. However, if your opponent hold Q6 his hand is now better as his best 5 cards would be a 6 high straight.

When a kicker matters:
      Board is A-A-8-J-3
      You have A10
      Opponent A9
      The best 5 cards possible out of those is AAAJ10 so you win.
      If the board is A-A-Q-J-3 and you have the same cards you will chop it because AAAQJ is better than both AAAQ10 and AAAQ9.

In the event of two pairs on the board...
      Board T-T-3-J-J
      You have KQ
      Opponent Q10
      You win because JJTTK is better than JJTTQ

Hope this helps.
      actually you helped out alot man i appreciate it one thing i got confused with the k9 how would that be a split?
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      You can try to think of it this way (that's what I do):

1) 2 cards on your hand and 5 on the board
      2) You take five cards of those 7 to make the best pokerhand possible
      3) Your opponent does the same
      4) If after step 2) and 3) you both made the same you split the pot

I won't give any examples because I think AlexanderD22 gave some good ones :)