This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Please Help

• philiveyfan
      philiveyfan
      Bronze
      Hey I'm still fairly new to texas holdem so I want to ask few questions.

If I have ace 2 and you have 45

and board comes ace 2 3 4 5 does the 45 take it or is it a split?

I have ace queen you have ace king

board is 10 jack king queen 7 is this a split or does ace king take it.

I'm still struggling with split pots. I know it's the best 5 cards but sometimes I confused anyone can help me out in a easy way with this.
  • 6 replies
    • AlexanderD22
      AlexanderD22
      Bronze
      Originally posted by philiveyfan

I'm still struggling with split pots. I know it's the best 5 cards but sometimes I confused anyone can help me out in a easy way with this.
      Both splits, both playing the board for a straight.

Try to think of it as the best possible 5 cards. In you first example all of the hole cards are out there so it doesn't matter. In the 2nd example you only need 1 card to make the broadway straight (TJQKA) so anyone holding an Ace has that 5 card combination. If there was a 3rd player in the hand holding A-rag they would still have the straight.
    • philiveyfan
      philiveyfan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AlexanderD22
      Originally posted by philiveyfan

Both splits, both playing the board for a straight.

Try to think of it as the best possible 5 cards. In you first example all of the hole cards are out there so it doesn't matter. In the 2nd example you only need 1 card to make the broadway straight (TJQKA) so anyone holding an Ace has that 5 card combination. If there was a 3rd player in the hand holding A-rag they would still have the straight.

so in what case do kickers play?
    • AlexanderD22
      AlexanderD22
      Bronze
      Ok I'm gonna give this a whirl since I've always considered myself the world's worst teacher.

Kickers only play if the hand held is less than a 5 card hand. Now the whole point is to make the best 5 card hand possible.

In the case of a straight, only 5 cards can make a straight. Now if the board is A2345 and you have A2 you have 2 "made" hands, you have a straight and 2 pair, which is useless, because the board is a straight so your best 5 card hand is the straight. Assume your opponent holds K9, he is also playing the board so its a chop. However, if your opponent hold Q6 his hand is now better as his best 5 cards would be a 6 high straight.

When a kicker matters:
      Board is A-A-8-J-3
      You have A10
      Opponent A9
      The best 5 cards possible out of those is AAAJ10 so you win.
      If the board is A-A-Q-J-3 and you have the same cards you will chop it because AAAQJ is better than both AAAQ10 and AAAQ9.

In the event of two pairs on the board...
      Board T-T-3-J-J
      You have KQ
      Opponent Q10
      You win because JJTTK is better than JJTTQ

Hope this helps.
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      You might find some useful info here.
    • philiveyfan
      philiveyfan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AlexanderD22
      Ok I'm gonna give this a whirl since I've always considered myself the world's worst teacher.

Kickers only play if the hand held is less than a 5 card hand. Now the whole point is to make the best 5 card hand possible.

In the case of a straight, only 5 cards can make a straight. Now if the board is A2345 and you have A2 you have 2 "made" hands, you have a straight and 2 pair, which is useless, because the board is a straight so your best 5 card hand is the straight. Assume your opponent holds K9, he is also playing the board so its a chop. However, if your opponent hold Q6 his hand is now better as his best 5 cards would be a 6 high straight.

When a kicker matters:
      Board is A-A-8-J-3
      You have A10
      Opponent A9
      The best 5 cards possible out of those is AAAJ10 so you win.
      If the board is A-A-Q-J-3 and you have the same cards you will chop it because AAAQJ is better than both AAAQ10 and AAAQ9.

In the event of two pairs on the board...
      Board T-T-3-J-J
      You have KQ
      Opponent Q10
      You win because JJTTK is better than JJTTQ

Hope this helps.
      actually you helped out alot man i appreciate it one thing i got confused with the k9 how would that be a split?
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      You can try to think of it this way (that's what I do):

1) 2 cards on your hand and 5 on the board
      2) You take five cards of those 7 to make the best pokerhand possible
      3) Your opponent does the same
      4) If after step 2) and 3) you both made the same you split the pot

I won't give any examples because I think AlexanderD22 gave some good ones :)