A few questions

• erob60
      erob60
      Gold
      University has just finished for the year for me and consequently I have a large amount time to dedicate to poker, amongst other leisurely activities before next year begins.

Firstly, I have 1500 party points which were gathered mostly over easter (haven't been on Titan at all). I recall seeing somewhere that 1000 was the estimate of the number of points you would probably have by the time you'd generated the required rake for the pokertracker/poker ace HUD licences. Is it possible to confirm whether or not I have already been sent the codes and it is then either the case that they went in the junk folder or I accidentally deleted them? If this is the case is it possible to resend, otherwise if I haven't yet been sent them, when might I expect to generate enough rake to qualify? (For the most part I have been playing on 0.10/0.25 NL tables and will continue to do so until I have the bankroll for the next limit).

Second I wanted to enquire about the differences between tournaments, the SSS and the BSS. The word on the forums seems to be that tournaments are evil. Before finding pokerstrategy (and indeed party), I was playing pretty much to my own strategy elsewhere. Since I viewed poker more as a game than a way to generate money, tournaments were more appealing since they have a winner, whereas cash games are purely for the making of money. Whatever I do, I like to be able to compete, and a competition requires that there be a way to win. The site I played at however, had relatively few players, so my 30 and 50 man tournaments took ages to fill up and so I tried out the cash games while waiting. What I found was that I lost a lot on the cash games, but regularly won at the tournaments, overall making a profit. The exception I found in the cash games was that between the hours of 4 and 6 in the morning GMT, the standard of play deteriated to a level where I could quite easily make a profit.

After reading the strategies here it became clear that my previous style was too loose for the cash games, yet this had not mattered so much in the tournaments. I built up my bankroll for a while using the SSS, but found this to be too straightforward and repetitive for my tastes (the strategy is so rigid that there are barely any decisions for you to make and consequently I could happily play 7 tables at once shortly after learning it and make a steady profit without having to think very much).

When I had about $260 total, I unlocked the silver section and was eager to give the BSS a shot, but didn't have the bankroll required for 0.10/0.25, and didn't want to revert to 0.05/0.10, or continue using the SSS, since I thought it too repetitive. Thus I decided to enter a 30 man $6 tourney, which I won, then entered another and won that, giving me about $350 at which point I though I'd give it a go. Sure enough I lost $100 fairly quickly, so I entered another tourney, won it, getting me back up to $300, after which I lost another $50 on the cash games. Three more tourneys later, I had my $300 back.

I then reread all the articles and had another bash. This time I found the tables to be extremely tight and got absolutely nowhere (but I wasn't losing), until the magic time of 4 in the morning arrived and I made about $100 in an hour, then another $100 the next day (I found tables which were not so tight). After a long break from the game I've just done a 5 hour session and made $83 despite making a few silly mistakes, which I'm fairly happy about. (which brings me up to $589 total).

So my questions are:

Am I only winning tournaments because every who plays in low stakes tournaments is complete rubbish? - (in the early rounds I'm using the large stack strategy and then following final table advice which can be found in the articles on this site). When it comes to single table tournemtents, though I can still win money, I cannot win it with the same regularity and speed as with multi table tourneys, which suggests to me that my game is weaker at final tables but strong for early rounds.

Is the SSS profitable at the higher limits? Are there any adjustments that need to be made to make it profitable? It seems bizarre that a strategy requiring so little though can win at any level. If it can be adopted to win at higher limits, why is it that the bigstack strategy need be introduced at all, given that one can make more mistakes while using it?

Why is it not advisable to make money entirely from tournaments instead of from cash games?

Anyway, enough for now...any thoughts?
  • 1 reply
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      I can't answer all your question because I mainly play FL but I give it a try :)

1) You will receive PT/PA now as soon as you reached 2000 strategy points (the keys should be sent twice a month so you won't receive them immediatly after opassing the 2000 points)
      If you are unsure if you already made the 500$ rake before we changed this system just write a ticket to our support and ask them about it. They can help you out.

2) SSS can be profitable at the higher limits but you have to adjust your play and so on. I know at least 2 succesful people who play SSS at the higher limits (1 at NL1000 and one at NL5000 (not sure how long he has been playing there but I just read the a few days ago and today.)

3) We don't recommend players to start with tournaments because the bankroll isn't big enough for it and if you start playing (= you aren't playing very well you can have a really long streak of not reaching the money (even good players have these streaks) and so you will be broke soon or dissapointed due to lack of success.

Our NL experts will stop by here soon to (at least think so) give you a better reply on the more NL specific questions.