Advice Making the Switch from NL10 to NL25?

• 22 replies
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Hi.

I waited until I reached $200 to make the move to NL25. After 5 sessions 8k hands I was down to $75. I've been really swingy since the switch. I've got my bankroll back up to where it was. I think that initial downswing was partly poor play on my part. If it weren't for rakeback I would probably be back at NL10. From my limited experience the players are just as bad at NL25 as they were at NL10(at least at full tilt). From your other forum posts I would say you are more than skilled enough to take on NL25. Just stick to BRM and you'll be good.

Good Luck.
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      Go ahead and take a stab at it. If you find yourself down too much for your liking, go back to NL10 :)

Personally, i play a really conservative BRM, like 100 stacks. But from the standpoint of player quality, there really is no diff between NL10 and NL25.
    • THeGaME23
      THeGaME23
      Bronze
      Well my first session was a good one, going up $20 in about an hour. What I didnt realize is how much faster you lose money in Nl25 also. I got a couple bad beats realized I was down $15, which tilted me even though I didnt admit it to myself (you probably know what I mean) and had a terrible session :( . I might go back to NL10 and rebuild my BR. However im still playing NL25 for now. I'll give it one more shot.

Oh yeah and thanks for the advice. I think that if I fail my next try I will try a more conservative BRM. With only $150 the thought of losing $15 in 10 minutes puts me on tilt unconsciously.
    • THeGaME23
      THeGaME23
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jonnyquest
      Hi.

I waited until I reached $200 to make the move to NL25. After 5 sessions 8k hands I was down to $75. I've been really swingy since the switch. I've got my bankroll back up to where it was. I think that initial downswing was partly poor play on my part. If it weren't for rakeback I would probably be back at NL10. From my limited experience the players are just as bad at NL25 as they were at NL10(at least at full tilt). From your other forum posts I would say you are more than skilled enough to take on NL25. Just stick to BRM and you'll be good.

Good Luck.
      Sorry for the double post.

But do you have any advice on what helped you go from losing to winning in NL25? Just solid tight play or did you incorporate stealing into your game or something for ex.
    • fakedurrr
      fakedurrr
      Bronze
      surely stealing, I was stealing in NL10 as well and also restealign some known !so called regulars! on which I kne w where oppening a lot
      but I oppen to 3.5bb (pot button)
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Hi

I actually made a few small adjustments. First thing I did was to get Poker Tracker 3. I'm still figuring it out but I like reviewing my sessions. I found I was playing a little loose and way too aggressive. I brought my VPIP from 12.5-13.5 down to around 11-11.5, also brought my PFR from 10.5 down to about 6.5. As far as stealing and re-stealing goes I'm learning to pick my spots a little better(stats are helpful). I focused on my play in unraised pots. This was where I was being too aggressive before and it was a major leak in my game. Next I learned about set mining. I was playing my small pairs too often. Then when I did hit I was too aggressive and didn't get enough value from them.

These leaks added up to alot of $$$. Also I think when I was taking all those bad beats it made me play too tight. I was too eager to get all my chips in the middle when I got a hand. I became predictable and easy to beat.

One thing I do is, when I'm running bad I play less tables. Honestly, I don't find the players any different in NL25 or NL10. I've tried to just be patient during the losses. When I do my session reviews and see that I was getting my money in good I'm happy. Just keep at it and it'll turn around.

Good Luck
    • THeGaME23
      THeGaME23
      Bronze
      Hi

I actually made a few small adjustments. First thing I did was to get Poker Tracker 3. I'm still figuring it out but I like reviewing my sessions. I found I was playing a little loose and way too aggressive. I brought my VPIP from 12.5-13.5 down to around 11-11.5, also brought my PFR from 10.5 down to about 6.5. As far as stealing and re-stealing goes I'm learning to pick my spots a little better(stats are helpful). I focused on my play in unraised pots. This was where I was being too aggressive before and it was a major leak in my game. Next I learned about set mining. I was playing my small pairs too often. Then when I did hit I was too aggressive and didn't get enough value from them.

These leaks added up to alot of $$$. Also I think when I was taking all those bad beats it made me play too tight. I was too eager to get all my chips in the middle when I got a hand. I became predictable and easy to beat.

One thing I do is, when I'm running bad I play less tables. Honestly, I don't find the players any different in NL25 or NL10. I've tried to just be patient during the losses. When I do my session reviews and see that I was getting my money in good I'm happy. Just keep at it and it'll turn around.

Good Luck
      Thanks!! My VPIP is around 7.5-8%. Yesterday I had another bad session. Got up early and then got some bad beats and all of a sudden I was down another $20 :f_mad: . But today i've played 2 sessions so far incorporating stats play and focusing on reading and picking stealing spots and i'm up $30 after only 281 hands :s_cool: . I'm now feeling a lot more confident, thanks for all the help guys =) .
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Wow! I see you're gold status now! I started playing almost 2 weeks before you and I won't reach gold for another couple weeks. Good job. I was wondering what kind of volume you play. How many days/hours per week, number of tables. I'm at around 35k hands now. I took 8 days off while I had the flu cause I found I was just too slow. Hopefully I can catch up to you soon.

Cheers
    • THeGaME23
      THeGaME23
      Bronze
      Wow! I see you're gold status now! I started playing almost 2 weeks before you and I won't reach gold for another couple weeks. Good job. I was wondering what kind of volume you play. How many days/hours per week, number of tables. I'm at around 35k hands now. I took 8 days off while I had the flu cause I found I was just too slow. Hopefully I can catch up to you soon.

Cheers
      Well NL10 I just play absolutely straight ABC SSS poker since its really hard to get individual reads on players without stats, and stealing isn't a good idea since people will call you with basically anything. So its easy to play 12-16 tables at once since I knew exactly what to do in basically every situation since its all pre flop for the most part. When I first started I was playing way too much (6-10 hours a day) now i've slowed down to ~2-5 hours per day and only 9 table NL25 atm. (I tried 12 tabling at first but I realized thats why i was loosing a lot of money very quickly and going on tilt because of it. Basically I just play way too much :f_cool:
    • THeGaME23
      THeGaME23
      Bronze
      Okay WOW. I've played 3, 45 minute sessions on NL25 today and i'm up $56 after just 3 sessions (it may not seem like a lot to most but to me its quite a bit). All with 0... 0 suckouts on my part (won most flips), and some (not many) bad beats. And this is all in 647 hands. I think i'm on a heater lol, apparently I'm doing something right now. This is officially the biggest roller coaster poker has ever put me on. I went 2 days loosing and now in just 647 hands I gained almost all of it back. All I did was tighten up pre flop, not make any stupid moves that got me into trouble before and just take it easy and be patient.

I'm really happy right now, I wonder when this heater will end :s_biggrin:
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Man I had the exact opposite of you today. I was bankrolled for NL50 but after running bad and not knowing when to quit I lost all my profits from this entire week and then some. Looks like I'll be staying at NL25 for another week at least. My W$SD today was 36.8%. I made a few really dumb plays today but had a lot of bad beats. What site do you play at?
    • THeGaME23
      THeGaME23
      Bronze
      Man I had the exact opposite of you today. I was bankrolled for NL50 but after running bad and not knowing when to quit I lost all my profits from this entire week and then some. Looks like I'll be staying at NL25 for another week at least. My W$SD today was 36.8%. I made a few really dumb plays today but had a lot of bad beats. What site do you play at?
      Sorry to hear that man, just remember what happened to me I lost over $60 in 2 days and was able to battle back so keep your head up. I play at Full Tilt as well, i've probably played with you and not knew it. Whats ur screen name?

I just played another session and although it was a loosing session im pretty happy with my play. I got a lot of bad beats and lost just about every flip I had. However I didnt go on tilt, played %90 solidly and was able to battle back only loose $15 of my profits for today after being down around $35 on the session. Overall it was still a good day up almost $40. Oh and if you want a good shot at gaining your money back instantly I found a 9 player sit n go 1200 FTP satellite with a $55 ticket if you win. It will only cost you around $2 rakeback and you could win $55 T$ if you win it. I tried today (got queens, raised, guy called, flop 2Q7..... he goes all in I insta call. He has AK... turn 10... river J.... 100% serious lol. Oh well, ill give it another shot tomorrow.
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      sounds like you have a good mentality there. bad beats are all part of the game and if u remain solid it will mostly swing back in your favour. play every hand without making mistakes and tighten up when u are not hitting is a key to succcess imho :)
    • THeGaME23
      THeGaME23
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Ishindar
      sounds like you have a good mentality there. bad beats are all part of the game and if u remain solid it will mostly swing back in your favour. play every hand without making mistakes and tighten up when u are not hitting is a key to succcess imho :)
      Nicely said I agree %100. How you play during your dead card streaks and your bad beats is just as important as the times when your winning imo.
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Hi

when do you normally play at Full Tilt? I play in the afternoon/early evenings Sunday Monday Wednesday and Fridays. This is Pacific time, I'm on the westcoast of Canada. I don't think we've sat together I usually try to avoid SSS players. You should have played with me yesterday, I went on tilt and gave lots of money away. When are you planning on moving up to NL50?
    • THeGaME23
      THeGaME23
      Bronze
      Haven't really thought of that yet. I'm not very close to a big enough BR yet, im thinking around 350-400.
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Yeah I'm shooting for $400 first. If I keep losing the way I am I might be down to NL10 before I get to NL50. I'm down to like $260 with this weeks rakeback.

I've been trying some new stuff that seems quite promising. I've played a few sessions just 4 tabling playing LAG style SSS. My winrate for those 3 sessions is 6.2 bb/100 and I got my w$wosd and w$wsd both positive which seems really strange for SSS.

Anyways, good luck
    • THeGaME23
      THeGaME23
      Bronze
      LAG style SSS? You better not have the calling stations I have at %90 of my tables then lol. Just yesterday i had my kings cracked by 45o -_- lol. I'm sure it would work with the right table though, good luck to you as well.

Me I'm not at $200 yet, I keep getting close and then hitting a downswing. So im got a ways til NL50.
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Well.... Let me clarify what I mean by LAG. The reason I started this experiment was I was running really card dead at this one table for a long time. So my numbers were of an extreme rock. So I of course became inpatient and opened up my range. First I tried 3 betting light against another shorty. Then I called what I believe was a steal attempt by a bigstack in the CO. I check raised the flop and took the pot. I stole some blinds and got away with some resteals. Then I was waiting for the blind to come around before leaving the table and picked up rockets. I doubled and left that table with almost $15. I decided to closing some tables and left 4 active. It was very swingy and quite a lot of fun. I was able to finish up about 2 buyins for the day even though I had been down a few when I started playing this style. My numbers were not that of a true LAG but very high compared to my usual.

I may try this some more and see how it goes. Four tables for an hour isn't much to go on. Well I may have just been lucky. I think the other players thought I was just a rock who suddenly got run over by the deck.