Quest for SuperNova

• Bronscapade
      Bronscapade
      Bronze
      Hi!
      Im a engineering student living in South Africa, age 22, and Ive been a poker enthusiast for quite some time. I started playing poker about 3 years ago, but Ive never really taken it seriously until I discovered pokerstrategy.com. So I decided to register an account with pokerstars deposit $600, try this "Short Stack Strategy", and see where the road takes me :)

This was a month ago. I have now reached platinum status, cleared my $600 dollar deposit bonus, and my BR is sitting pretty on near as makes no difference $2400.

I also really enjoy playing on the pokerstars software and find their VIP system to be the best any site has to offer, so I decided to start this thread to share with you guys my progress as I attempt to reach SuperNova status on PokerStars.
      I have no desire to discuss hands or SSS strategy in this blog, there are more than enough blogs dealing with that subject. What i want to discuss in this blog is how to successfully achieve huge volumes of play, while maintaining a high standard of poker.

These are my Goals:
      • 24 NL50 Tables, fast or slow speed.
      • 1.5k Hands per Session
      • 4 Sessions per weekday, and 5-6 every friday saturday and sunday.
      • Maintain a 2BB winrate

I currently use Tableninja for multitabling and the Elephant for my tracking needs.

But enough talk, here is a picture of my bankroll and VIP status.

I will be Updating this every day.
      As you can see I need about 87k VPP to reach Supernova status. If i play
      32 sessions each week (as planned),
      and generate 20Vpp per 100 hands,
      which means 300Vpp per session,
      which means 9600Vpp each week,
      which gives me 87000vpp in 9 weeks which is exactly how many weeks we have left till the end of the year.

Its gonna be close..... :s_biggrin:

Talk to you guys in 6k hands time :)
  • 22 replies
    • MrPavlos
      MrPavlos
      Global
      really interesting and inspiring aswell,good luck
    • fakedurrr
      fakedurrr
      Bronze
      wow, really GL mate , it looks like huge grind.... I wish u achieve it so that we can take inspiration from u :)
    • RahXephon1
      RahXephon1
      Bronze
      Wouldn't make more sense to play NL100, since you are bankrolled for it and you would have higher winrate and higher points/hand?

I'm really interested in your challenge, since I'll be probably trying to achieve supernova next year.
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      Hi!

I always thought that if you reach Supernova in 2009 then you maintain your Supernova status only till the end of the year and in 2010 you need to start grind from 0 for ur Supernova status again.

But then it wouldnt make sense to go for Supernova in the end of the year and reach it in December.

So i guess i was wrong?=)
    • Bronscapade
      Bronscapade
      Bronze
      Hey guys,
      Thx for the Support :)

@Rah:
      I have considered switching to NL100 but still a bit scared as losing $200 in a session would really discourage me. So far ive also found NL50 to be really soft on pokerstars and am a bit scared that the jump to nl100 could hurt my winrate.

I dunno, how did u find it when u moved from Nl50 to nl100. Was there a big jump in skill? Cause i might have to consider it if i find that 6k+ hands a day is not possible on a long term basis.
    • KidPokersKid
      KidPokersKid
      Global
      Originally posted by RahXephon1
      Wouldn't make more sense to play NL100, since you are bankrolled for it and you would have higher winrate and higher points/hand?
      This is what I would be thinking
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      "In addition, we will extend your status on a month-by-month basis from January through the end of September, provided you continue to earn at least 10,000 VPPs every month, missing no more than one month of 10,000 VPP accrual. Players with less than 100,000 VPPs on October 1st will revert back to a monthly VIP status."

Ok now i got it :)
    • RahXephon1
      RahXephon1
      Bronze
      I don't know how it's on stars but on Full tilt is not that big a difference. My advice is to try some during the weekends in the peek hours, when there are more fishes playing. Still you are bankrolled more than needed and you seem to be crushing NL50 so it shouldn't be hard.
    • KidPokersKid
      KidPokersKid
      Global
      Originally posted by RahXephon1
      I don't know how it's on stars but on Full tilt is not that big a difference. My advice is to try some during the weekends in the peek hours, when there are more fishes playing. Still you are bankrolled more than needed and you seem to be crushing NL50 so it shouldn't be hard.

NL200 + is where there is a jump in skill level IMO
    • tac3znarf
      tac3znarf
      Bronze
      Actually there are a lot more fish in NL200 than in NL100 in Stars. You will see a lot of good regulars in NL100 and a lot of gamblers in NL200.

Good luck in your quest for Supernova. :) :)

I also need 70000VPP to be upgraded to Supernova and I tried playing for 3K hands yesterday and I have earned 1.8K VPP. That is around 8-10 hours of playing 6 tabling NL200. If I can maintain earning 1kVPP on weekdays and 2KVPP on weekends I might be able to reach supernova before the end of december but the downside is I do not want to sacrifice my gameplay just for massive grinding. :)
    • Sale1337
      Sale1337
      Bronze
      ok about the volume.I strongly suggest using table ninja, it rocks soooo bad, especially for SSS, I think y can put up more than 24 tables using it.... was in exact same spot as you are, when I moved to NL100, I had 4 consecutive loosing sessions, so I moved down again lol. Is more of a money barrier than anything else if y ask me :)

Cya
    • Sale1337
      Sale1337
      Bronze
      oh and are y suing auto rebuy?
    • RaWRpewpew
      RaWRpewpew
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Sale1337
      ok about the volume.I strongly suggest using table ninja, it rocks soooo bad, especially for SSS, I think y can put up more than 24 tables using it.... was in exact same spot as you are, when I moved to NL100, I had 4 consecutive loosing sessions, so I moved down again lol. Is more of a money barrier than anything else if y ask me :)

Cya
      He said he was using Table ninja in his opening post.
    • Bronscapade
      Bronscapade
      Bronze
      I use AutoRebuy when i fall below 13BB.
      Some players like letting their stacks dip below 10BB to make SC pushes, but I prefer not to do that.
      And ye wot RaWR said :)
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by Bronscapade
      As you can see I need about 87k VPP to reach Supernova status. If i play
      32 sessions each week (as planned),
      and generate 20Vpp per 100 hands,
      which means 300Vpp per session,
      which means 9600Vpp each week,
      which gives me 87000vpp in 9 weeks which is exactly how many weeks we have left till the end of the year.

Its gonna be close..... :s_biggrin:
      Nice challenge!
      But it's too much work for too few benefits imo. SN is worth EXACTLY $1600 for you... Ask yourself: will those 1.6k substitute the opportunity costs for you??

If you play less, you can move up sooner, win more per hour etc.

Just my two cents :)

:spade: Good luck at the tables! :spade:
    • TwiceT
      TwiceT
      Black
      gl for your challenge!

i might also play stars only next year for supernova5++. but still not sure if massgrinding midstakes is more fun / +EV compared to mixing sites and limits.

next year u should make a quest for supernova elite :f_p:
    • Anssi
      Anssi
      Black
      Getting to supernova is worth about 4k (as you earn about 250k FPP's which are worth $4k). Year 2 Supernova is worth ~1,5k more, as you earn more FPP's.

The supernova freerolls are worth 30-40$/freeroll you play.
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by Anssi
      Getting to supernova is worth about 4k (as you earn about 250k FPP's which are worth $4k). Year 2 Supernova is worth ~1,5k more, as you earn more FPP's.

The supernova freerolls are worth 30-40$/freeroll you play.
      I said getting SN is worth exactly $1600 because:

- if you reach it by the end of the year, you start as SN and get 3.5 FPP/VPP
      - if not, you start as platinum and earn 2.5 FPP/VPP

right?

OK, you need to earn another 100k VPP next year to get SN if you're not, so you'll get 250,000 FPP and not 350,000 FPP you'd get otherwise, so it's 100k difference worth 0.016 * 100,000 = $1600

it's only about getting status or not - sure you'll earn more points but you'd earn them later so it doesnt matter imo as I'm talking about extra bonus. That's why I said it's only about $1.6k.
    • Bronscapade
      Bronscapade
      Bronze
      DAY 2:

Hey guys!

Its 19h00 here in South Africa and Ive been running very good! :P
      Ive only played 4500 hands but decided to give you guys the update as im only planning to play my last 1.5k hands much later and might be too tired to post it then. Anyways I netted $137 today which equates to about 14 buyins on NL50, which is pretty sweet.

There is some bad news however. It appears that I am only making about 18-19 VPP per 100 hands. This could be variance of the vpp kind or it might be due to the fact that im shortstacking and playing tighter than the average nl50 player.

Here is my updated BR and VPP after 3 sessions:

If you notice i also have some extra tournament dollars. I earn these by playing the Hyperturbos and out of the 100+ ive played so far ive gotten about 2c per fpp in effective rakeback, as my winrate is very close to 50% using ICM, sage and common sense.

I dont buy any bonusses i just sell my tourney dollars on a site im probably not allowed to mention, but what i can say is i get 97% per T$.

Lastly...id just like to share with you guys the rakeback i will be getting once i reach supernova.
      Im going to use the last 30000 hands ive played on NL50. Since this is all i have left after i installed windows 7.
      IF i were to be Supernova this woulda earned me:
      300*20 = 6000vpp
      6000*3.5 = 21000FPP
      21000*0.02 = $420
      During this time, according to elephant i have generated 456$ of rake.

So with the supernova weekly tourneys....Thats more than 100% rakeback!

Thx for tuning in guys!
      Will keep you posted :f_eek: