[NL2-NL10] Qq

• Fonyman
      This hand really broke my balls.. Help :) I know the raise on the flop is way too high, I was just so tired of people calling me down with all kinds of draws so I wanted to bet them all out and just get payed with my overpairs for once.. But anyway, you're here to criticise me anyway so. Doit someone :) When the 8 hit the board he went instant all in.. I thought for 20 seconds and folded.. thinking (Shit.. I cant call this.. How can I call this...)

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:

Preflop: Hero is BU with Q, Q.
      MP1 posts deadblind, MP3 posts deadblind, UTG1 calls $0.10, UTG2 folds, MP1 checks, MP2 folds, MP3 checks, CO folds, Hero raises to $0.60, 2 folds, UTG1 calls $0.50, MP1 calls $0.50, MP3 folds.

Flop: ($2.05) 7, 7, 9 (3 players)
      UTG1 checks, MP1 bets $0.30, Hero raises to $2.00, UTG1 folds, MP1 calls $1.70.

Turn: ($6.05) K (2 players)
      MP1 checks, Hero bets $3.00, MP1 calls $3.00.

River: ($12.05) 8 (2 players)
      MP1 bets $4.40, Hero folds, MP1 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $12.05.
  • 4 replies
    • davecc
      Preflop is ok. Actually all of it is ok outside the turn IMO. (NOT a judge)

Considering there is a flush AND straight draw, you get your money in good by betting the flop big (pot raise is fine, even without draws.. although 75% might get more calls). Very rarely will he have you beat on the flop, and the turn is only helping if is chasing a flush with k :spade: or has 2 clubs and a straight draw/gutshot. I doubt he would call flop with AK. For that reason, I bet the turn $4.5 or $5. A 3$ bet will induce draws to call, because they can get paid off on the river.

On the river you're in tough shape though. If he had a gutshot hes got it now, flush hes hit, plus an over card however unlikely it is that he holds it.

The river bet is for 1/3 of the pot, so I dont think it would be that bad to call if you see him on fairly often. It would be a valuable call if you play with him much. Otherwise Im not sure whether you can still call it. Ill let the judge.. judge my opinion then give a better opinion, especially about the river.
    • michaelqian
      I think river call is ok, considering the size of the pot and the amount you have to call.

I would call it and expect to lose, and justify it as a information call, especially if he's a regular player.
    • rickydaprince
      I would raise 1 bb more preflop. I think your flop raise was ok. I would bet around $4 on the turn since it is a great card to 2nd barrel.

It's probably not the best river card, but I think you're pot committed by then (with the bet sizes I said) so I would probably call and look him up, you still beat TT, JJ and maybe he held A9. Having said that, you don't beat much else since any K beats you and the flush got there. His line definitely looks like a draw though.
    • MaestroOfZerg

Okay lots of stuff to say.

First of all i'm fine with people calling me down with draws, that's how you beat the microstakes basically, by valuebetting to death people that don't have a fold button. You're not trying to make them fold, you're trying to make them call with poor pots odds.

As for the hand personally i'd want to stack 9x/TT-JJ and draws as soon as possibly before action killing cards come, so since he's bad i think i can make the raise on the flop even bigger, with the goal of shoving almost any turn. Pot raising it is fine.

As played i agree with previous posters, it can't be that bad of a call, especially you'll see people taking such a inducing line with a top pair or a lower overpair once in a while. The only thing that really sucks is the minbet/call line on the flop that reeks of a flushdraw.

@rickydaprince: K is indeed a good barreling card in general, tho when you actually have a hand that stands to be best you're not thrilled to kinda of overrep it by betting the overcard turn. You're betting again for pure value in spite of that because of all the draws that will probably still call. If it was 922Kr, checking back the turn to raise or bet any non 9 river might get you more action from made hands that think you're also scared of the K, instead of blowing them off by betting the turn.

Hope it helps.