This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

BB defence in multiway raised pot with reverse dominated hands

• enemaze
      enemaze
      Bronze
      Ive noticed a lot of times when i have a reverse dominated hand (weak A etc.) in the BB, and there's a raise with 2-3 coldcallers im not really sure what to do with my hand.
      I get great odds, but i really dont like playing A7-9o multiway. I usually dont even bother with a kicker weaker than 7 and fold.

Also i've faced this situation:
      Hero: A5o
      Bu raises, SB coldcalls, Hero ???

Long story short, what's the best way to deal with these kinds of situations?
  • 3 replies
    • Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      Interesting topic, I have the same problems too. I usually call, because I think only one bothering me here is the original raiser as strong aces are usually not limped pf, so I think I have an edge on limpers (of course I've came across a guy limping AA, but that's rather an exception... :tongue: ). If flop is good for me (A) I c/r it, otherwise I fold or call one more bet.

Suited aces are of course easy call for me. :)

The written situation - I fold against low AF and call aggresive blind stealers, although I think it would be a good line to 3bet(against aggro) to isolate SB on which I have position. Since he coldcalled BU raise, he won't cap and I have a good position to cbet as he will put me on much better hand than I have.

Just my 2 cents. :)
    • DarthBobo
      DarthBobo
      Bronze
      In this situation I try to use common sense. You can play the hand as long as you know WHY you're playing it.

In a raised pot with 2 coldcallers, why would you play A7o?

If you hit the A, you'll be dominated a lot of times. Even your one pair may not be good against 3 other players.
      If you hit the 7 you're in for some trouble.

You'll be playing out of position the entire hand.

So when are you going to get a favourable flop? There are not many!
      So I tend to fold unless the other players are complete crap.
      A suited hand is another story.

Hero: A5o Bu raises, SB coldcalls, Hero ???

Here you have to call. His raising range is so big. And SB is probably a fish cause he's calling. So if you hit the A you'll have a good chance at taking down the pot.
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Hi enemaze,

against a raise from BU A5o is not that bad. Just look at the hands you openraise and you see there are a lot that you beat. Sure you are no favorite and you often will lose against a better ace but your equity is still big enough to call preflop.

As it's 3-way you only continue if you hit. if you hit a good flop (AJ4 or J52) or if it's a less good flop but there are draws out I like to play it aggressive. On bad flops you can play it passively or fold to much action.
      Best would be to search hands in your database and post them. :)