Stacks:
      UTG kalle157 ($8.40)
      UTG+1 MajoYrero ($9.11)
      CO tema1984 ($3.75)
      BTN Hero ($8.45)
      SB fabiiio10 ($2.93)
      BB gsm1979 ($5.04)

Pre-Flop: ($0.07, 6 players) Hero is BTN K:club: K:spade:
      kalle157 raises to $0.20, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.75, 2 folds, kalle157 calls $0.55

Flop: J:spade: Q:spade: 6:spade: ($1.57, 2 players)
      kalle157 checks, Hero bets $1.30, kalle157 calls $1.30

Turn: J:heart: ($4.17, 2 players)
      kalle157 checks, Hero checks

River: 2:diamond: ($4.17, 2 players)
      kalle157 bets $2, Hero calls $2

Final Pot: $8.17

On the turn I can realistically only get more value from AQ. I do not like that the board paired and villain might even fold AQ to another bet by me and if he choses to push I have a hard decicion to make here.

I chose check behind and call any river bet he would make as long as not another Q comes and possibly not another spade.
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Hard to really say anything without reads on the guy since his preflop raise/calling range is blurry, but both lines make sense and there is certainly nothing wrong with pot controlling the turn if you think it makes the play easier when the value in betting is unclear at best. It's hard for him to have KQ, AQ might get spooked on the turn unless it's exactly AsQx, and there isn't much else he could peel the flop with that will call a turn bet.

That being said very few players (he looks decent) will actually check/shove that turn with a hand that you beat at nl5, unless maybe it's exactly AsQx. So reverse blockbet/folding the turn smallish in case he wants to call again with a lone spade and expecting he'll check a blank river to you might be a good way to set your own price for showdown, especially if you think his range for bluffing and valuebetting with worse hands on the river is narrow enough for you to feel uncomfortable calling a biggish bet.

Hope it helps.